Hey guys!

Well its that time when i come back to perfect my bends

So far i use them all the time when improvise.

But useally i am just bending to the blues note and bending a whole step up to the root note sometimes on the lighter strings.

Do you guys have any advice how i can use bends much better then i am now?

( Right now im practicing bending to the right pitch as close to 100% as i can, sometimes when im in the heat of the moment making something up i dont always get there, and end up in a area between a half a step and a whole step. )
experiment. some bends i find myself using are bending up a halfstep to the minor 7th from the major 6th, bending to the minor third from the second, etc...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
do a search ... larry carlton has a "bending" vid...he bends the "scale" .. that is from the C note he bends to D from D he bends to E etc for the entire scale..getting the whole and half notes to be even sounding ... a very good exercise in bending...
Practise.
And hear the note you are bending too in your head before you bend, that way you know what your aiming for, so you have a better chance of hitting the note in tune.
Bending is just a way of moving between two notes that gives a certain sound - so if you want that sound use a bend to get there instead of picking the two notes, or hammering on, or sliding, or any of the other ways you can move between notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Using bends is a matter of taste - listen to as much music as you can and listen out for tasty 'bends' that catch your ear.
Some early Led Zep stuff has some nice ideas that caught my ear the other day. Eric Johnson does a cool 'koto' technique (difficult) which might inspire you.
I like sliding into my bends some times - gives a unique sound to it. I got that from Larry Carlton.

In terms of intonation (tuning) in your bends you really just need to use you ears when practising - make sure you really listen for your tuning.
Perhaps use an electronic tuner from time to time to see how accurately you can bend a note in tune. Play a note, then bend up to it, when you think you've hit the pitch look at your tuner and see how close you are - off course it will be difficult to maintain a precise non fluctuating note but you'll be able to get a good idea from this.

as others have said - bent note scales are a good thing to practise. Make sure you practice on all the strings that you would expect to bend, and don't practice too much in one position as you'll wear that one fret out eventually.
Quote by IbanezMan989
Hey guys!

Well its that time when i come back to perfect my bends

So far i use them all the time when improvise.

But useally i am just bending to the blues note and bending a whole step up to the root note sometimes on the lighter strings.

Do you guys have any advice how i can use bends much better then i am now?

( Right now im practicing bending to the right pitch as close to 100% as i can, sometimes when im in the heat of the moment making something up i dont always get there, and end up in a area between a half a step and a whole step. )

Pedal steel licks are fun.
Here's a good one by Satriani explaining bending (tip 1): http://youtu.be/JNDyI5b3Fh8

You may be past that level and you may want to improve it a little more:
-Try always to play the note you are trying to reach with the bend, take a good listen to it, and inmediately after imitate that with the bending.
-If you feel you are not strong enough to reach a note with your bending, try hanging your thumb a little bit more, check how your fingertip grips the string, you don't want it "escaping" from your finger to the opposite side of the bend.
-It ur still not happy, try this excercise: bend a note many times without playing with a separate l.h. finger each time, staying about 45secs/1min on each one (stop inm. if it bothers/hurts)

Hope this helps now!
pd. Thanks Steven Seagull for waking me up on post below.
Last edited by zyryab at Feb 25, 2012,
^
what does that have to do with the guy's question?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
^
what does that have to do with the guy's question?

uo, you´re right...why did i read legato where he put bending
i guess i was thinking about that or something
edited!
Last edited by zyryab at Feb 25, 2012,