I have an Rg350mdx and was going to get an Original floyd rose for it, but just found these lo pro edge tremelos from the ibanez store and was wondering how they compare to the OFR's and if they are just as good or better, I was also wondering what the 42 and 43mm measurment needed is for? And was does the "top lok III" means? thanks

https://store.ibanez.com/store/Category.aspx?s=1000017
Kahlers, in my opinion, are way cooler, comfortable, and way easier to restring. Take a look at them!
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
I must warn you about replacing the tremolo on your Ibanez... I bought a Schaller Floyd for my RG350EX that had an Edge III on it. Everyone said the route in the guitar would fit a Schaller Floyd. It didn't. I had to route out a heck of a lot of wood from my guitar just to get it to fit. It's a real pain. If you're REALLY dead set on having an Original Floyd Rose on your Ibanez then it's worth it, but it's still a lot of work

The 42 and 43mm is the nut width, if I'm not mistaking

I can't speak for the Lo Pro Edge, but my bet would be that it isn't as stable as the real-deal Floyd Rose. I could be wrong though. No idea what "Top Lok III" means

Good luck my friend, you're going to need it for that project
Quote by Tracii Lee
I must warn you about replacing the tremolo on your Ibanez... I bought a Schaller Floyd for my RG350EX that had an Edge III on it. Everyone said the route in the guitar would fit a Schaller Floyd. It didn't. I had to route out a heck of a lot of wood from my guitar just to get it to fit. It's a real pain. If you're REALLY dead set on having an Original Floyd Rose on your Ibanez then it's worth it, but it's still a lot of work

The 42 and 43mm is the nut width, if I'm not mistaking

I can't speak for the Lo Pro Edge, but my bet would be that it isn't as stable as the real-deal Floyd Rose. I could be wrong though. No idea what "Top Lok III" means

Good luck my friend, you're going to need it for that project

^ This is spot on, heed Traci's warning.

I don't like the feeling of Kahlers, they may be right for you, though.

I was going to do the same thing to my 3120, OFR instead of the Lo-Pro, this thread on SS.org gave me better insight into the matter, at the end of the day I stuck with the Lo-Pro.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/188406-ofr-my-rg350mdx.html
What's wrong with the trem it's got now?

I've got an Edge III, an Original Edge Reissue, and an LFR in different guitars. Been playing them all for about 4-5 years now with no issues. All stay 100% in tune between string changes.

The key to the Edge III is not to adjust the action with the strings under tension. That'll f-up your knife edges. Often the store you buy it from new does that in their initial setup, either because they don't know better or if they want to be shady in the hopes that you'll end up trading it in for a more expensive model after the knife edge fails prematurely.

BTW, many people think all the Ibanez trems are more comfortable that the OFR or LFRs because they have the lower profile. My only trem that bothers me at all is the vintage trem in my Squier Strat--the saddle set screws are too tall and jagged; but it's still my favorite stage guitar so obviously that doesn't bother me much, either.
IMHO, I wouldn't replace the tremolo on that guitar because if you are concerned about sustain, or tuning sustainability, it may not be the bridge... it could be the guitar... IT COULD BE YOU

There are tons of things to consider besides the bridge considering tuning and sustain such as neck bow, string tension, nut complications, and the neck being warped.

Besides that, what the question asked:

OFR vs Lo-pro

The Lo-pro is based off of the Ibanez Edge which is in turn based off of the OFR

So...

LO-PRO VS OFR

Lower profile...
slightly narrower string spaces
and replaceable knife edges

In the end, the lo pro gives you lower profile and replaceable knife edges... which all comes down to preference

I hope any of that has helped
???
Last edited by solidrane at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by d.c.guitar
Kahlers, in my opinion, are way cooler, comfortable, and way easier to restring. Take a look at them!

I haven't been impressed with those. Maybe it's because of the cheap copy in my friend's '80s vintage Cort. The pot metal is so soft on that that it literally bends itself out of tune within about 30 seconds of having the strings under tension, whether you play it or not.

But maybe the real ones are a lot better. How does the range compare to a Floyd?
Well its not so much that it doesnt stay in tune very well, Ive done tons of research and ive had the guitar for a while so ive got it as good as i think it will get. Its just some of the screws are becoming stripped, the paints wearing, and the tremelo arm does not stay in place well at all, so i figured if i replaced it it might as well be something better. I really like how this guitar plays and since im swapping pickups and fixing alot of cosmetic problems anyways i really just want to go the extra mile
I don't have first hand experience with this but the OFR is suppose to fit pretty well. The Schaller does not. Just because Schaller makes the OFR does not mean that the OFR and the Schaller labeled version have the same dimensions.
Quote by esredshore657
Well its not so much that it doesnt stay in tune very well, Ive done tons of research and ive had the guitar for a while so ive got it as good as i think it will get. Its just some of the screws are becoming stripped, the paints wearing, and the tremelo arm does not stay in place well at all, so i figured if i replaced it it might as well be something better. I really like how this guitar plays and since im swapping pickups and fixing alot of cosmetic problems anyways i really just want to go the extra mile

I see.

So a reset is in order. Just beware that if it doesn't fit, then you're going to have finish issues if you expand the route. And if it's too small, then it'll look goofy with all the extra space.

Also, if you're stripping screws then you're probably doing something wrong, so try not to do that anymore.

Ibanez is notorious for their finishes wearing fast on their non-MIJ guitars. You might have that problem with the lo-pro, too (but probably not) Don't know for sure, but do avoid any "Cosmo" hardware.

You should be able to adjust the grip on the whammy bar with the set screw on the bottom of the trem. But perhaps not; that's perhaps the one issue I have with my Edge III--that adjustment doesn't seem to make a difference.
Quote by poppameth
I don't have first hand experience with this but the OFR is suppose to fit pretty well. The Schaller does not. Just because Schaller makes the OFR does not mean that the OFR and the Schaller labeled version have the same dimensions.

Tried it with a legitimate Original Floyd Rose that I had laying around from an Alexi Laiho LTD that I'm fixing up. It didn't fit either

As for the Floyd Rose or Khaler debate, theirs a great video on YouTube that compares the two. The only thing that made me stay away from the Kahler was having to dump the bar after a bend to get it back in tune

EDIT: I loved my Edge III at first. It glided beautifully and I didn't have any tuning problems. But after I'd had it for about six months, it started going out of tune, the finish started to wear off, the screws were wearing out a little bit... It was greatly annoying. My father had a Jackson SL1 with an Original Floyd Rose on it that would stay in tune for months at a time, so I decided to replace my Edge III with a Floyd. I went with the Schaller because Schaller was making the Original Floyd Roses in the year my dads Jackson was made

I took care of my Edge III and it wore out after about a year. I had it professionally set up, lubed the knife edges, etc. When I took it off to put my Schaller on, the knife edges had rusted. It just wasn't durable enough to keep up with my constant practice/gigging schedule. The Edge III is a good bridge, but if you plan on using it every single day very heavily, then you're probably going to want something else

Also, if you get someone who KNOWS how to route, and have them expand the route on your guitar, the finish will be fine. I took off at least an inch all the way around without any cracks, chips, or scuffing
Last edited by Tracii Lee at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
I see.

So a reset is in order. Just beware that if it doesn't fit, then you're going to have finish issues if you expand the route. And if it's too small, then it'll look goofy with all the extra space.

Also, if you're stripping screws then you're probably doing something wrong, so try not to do that anymore.

Ibanez is notorious for their finishes wearing fast on their non-MIJ guitars. You might have that problem with the lo-pro, too (but probably not) Don't know for sure, but do avoid any "Cosmo" hardware.

You should be able to adjust the grip on the whammy bar with the set screw on the bottom of the trem. But perhaps not; that's perhaps the one issue I have with my Edge III--that adjustment doesn't seem to make a difference.

Im not stripping the threads, the heads are becoming stripped. And yeah i can tighten the set screw and it will hold up fine but once the bar moves around some it works itself loose very quickly
Quote by esredshore657
Im not stripping the threads, the heads are becoming stripped. And yeah i can tighten the set screw and it will hold up fine but once the bar moves around some it works itself loose very quickly

Heads shouldn't strip either. Something's not quite right if that's happening. Maybe something's off with the wrench.

Better luck with the replacement. \m/
I wouldn't bother replacing the trem on that guitar. An OFR will run you $200. For $4-600, you could get a used RG1570, which is better in every single way. I think the price difference justifies having a very nice guitar instead of having a cheap guitar with a nice trem.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I wouldn't bother replacing the trem on that guitar. An OFR will run you $200. For $4-600, you could get a used RG1570, which is better in every single way. I think the price difference justifies having a very nice guitar instead of having a cheap guitar with a nice trem.

Just when I thought EG couldnt get any stupider, somebody posts the right answer

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Offworld92

Yeah the more im looking into rebuilding this guitar I think I might as well sell it even if I dont get much for it and just look for an overall better guitar. The money it would take to get it how I want it again would cost more than I paid brand new for the guitar....Thinkin about just dealin with this guitar for now and savin up for a Prestige
as tracii lee says, you need to be sure it'll fit.

you're most likely going to be tied to what fits most easily
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?