Im considering getting a hot rod deluxe after playing a friend of a friends. He had a regular SSS strat and it sounded great but i have an HSS strat. I was all set to buy it when i heard and read a couple reviews saying it didnt handle humbuckers well. Has anybody else had any experience with this? I really liked the amp and would like to get it soon if anyone can confirm or deny this claim.
Quote by BufSabres26
Im considering getting a hot rod deluxe after playing a friend of a friends. He had a regular SSS strat and it sounded great but i have an HSS strat. I was all set to buy it when i heard and read a couple reviews saying it didnt handle humbuckers well. Has anybody else had any experience with this? I really liked the amp and would like to get it soon if anyone can confirm or deny this claim.

I've never used mine with single coils, but I have with mini Humbuckers and regular humbuckers. Sounds great clean!
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
http://youtu.be/HUF0wLkzAi0 skip to around 5 min
I think you will be fine. Hope it helps.

Wow very helpful video thanks. Anyone know how it handles pedals? If im gonna buy it, its gotta work well with my big muff.
Quote by BufSabres26
Wow very helpful video thanks. Anyone know how it handles pedals? If im gonna buy it, its gotta work well with my big muff.

Many people say the HRD takes pedals beautifully, me included
I personally ONLY used my HRD with pedals. Couldn't really stand the gain channels beyond very light grit. I ended up trading it for a Fender Toronado after I bought my Carvin X60, though.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
ok sorry last question: would this be ok for bedroom/basement play or is it too loud?
Quote by BufSabres26
ok sorry last question: would this be ok for bedroom/basement play or is it too loud?

Can the amp be quiet? Yes, but any amp is going to sound rather "eh" until you get it up to a reasonable volume.
It sounds fine with humbuckers. Saying an amp doesn't handle certain types of pickups seems ridiculous to me.

It takes pedals very well. I've only actually plugged in the amp like 3 times with no pedals hahaha.

It sounds fine quiet. It really gets good with the volume around 4, but it does a good job at really low volumes. If you ONLY play at very low volumes, I might consider other options. You still might like the hot rod best, but there are definitely a ton of options out there for super quiet playing.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you want to play at lower volumes, change out the 6L6 tubes for 6V6s. It will sound a lot better at lower volumes.
I own a Blues Deluxe and a friend whose house I stay at pretty frequently has a HRD; they both take pedals and humbuckers wonderfully. I dunno who you've been talking to. As for the playing quietly thing, like was already stated, they do sound not nearly as good at quiet volumes, but you should be aware that both amps are loud enough that playing above (or depending upon your location, even ON) 1 is probably going to be too loud for bedroom playing. The things have a very, very noticeable jump in volume with any slight touch of the volume knob from 1-4.
The other day we had "Fender guitars are no good plugged into Fender amps." Now we have humbuckers are no good plugged into them? So exactly what are you supposed to plug into a Fender amp?
Ah, you gotta laugh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ill try to find the video that the dude said the humbucker thing. I agree, ive never heard that either until this guy said it and it was like a "professional" video, not some kid in his room. Thats why I was puzzled when i heard it and decided to ask the question.
Quote by BufSabres26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcG0VULQO0E&feature=BFa&list=HL1330053613&lf=mh_lolz

at like 4:40 he says its not so great using a humbucker in the bridge position which is what i almost always use. So that was where my question came from but from all the responses it sounds like he is a dumb dumb.

That video sounded like shit. I play mine with humbuckers and think it sounds fine. The guy in the video is a jackass.
I don't know what kind of amp is being used here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFXeChXfcI

But it makes any Humbucker Vs Single coil argument for ANY amp invalid.