Hey. I have a question about Meshuggah. Loads of the comments refer to their music as polyrhythmic leading to me a bit of confusion.

I do understand that polyrhythms are two different rhythms played over equal length. IE 3 equal beats in the same time as 4 equal beats. Where as a polymeter would be repeating a figure of 3 beats while playing a figure of 4 beats so that they line up on different beats everytime and eventually sync again after n amount of repeats.

Would people be incorrect in calling Meshuggah 'polyrhythmic' then, as with my minimal experience i have yet to analyse a 'polyrhythm' as such. In the song 'bleed'-lets take the first riff for example. The guitars and bass drum play a figure that is 3 beats(8th note beats) Where as the cymbals play one that is 4 beats long(8th notes). This would be a polymeter I believe as the figures both use the same beat length and henceforth line up oddly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you
UG's New Zealand Resident!
Listen to stengah, or new millenium cyanide christ, the riff may be in an odd meter, but the cymbals are always in 4, hence why they say they dont use odd meters, or even pravus has a good riff that turns around on itself and lands back on the down beat.
Ahhh so I guess I'm right in saying it's poly meters then. Polyrhythms are pretty cool though.
Haha thanks for the comments. I see where the whole djent thing comes from haha. I'm really digging polymeters and polyrhythms atm
Quote by Darkmessiahnz
Haha thanks for the comments. I see where the whole djent thing comes from haha. I'm really digging polymeters and polyrhythms atm

Djent on the other hand (what I've heard at least) is most of the time just extremely syncopated riffs rather than polymeters or polyrhythms. You are indeed correct calling "Bleed" polymetric.

I can't really come up with too many good examples of polyrhythms, but here is something I'd call polyrhythmic (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Listen to the snare drum: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvyvBtPupQ#t=50s

A good way to introduce yourself to polyrhythms would be by starting with this kind of exercise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQWQUc8CCa0
It sounds really simple with just one type of sound, but when you tap your hands on different materials it will sound ten times as cool.

EDIT: Oh right, I totally forgot about this song, it's just one guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1VN6KpA2iQ
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Feb 23, 2012,