im looking for some idead on a distortion or OD stomp box. my style covers everything from acoustic to hard rock, i dont play much metal. i have been doing my own research aswell but want some more advice on what to look for and consider

thanks guys
If you have a decent two channel tube amp you should be able to get o/d from that, especially if you crank it enough.

What amp are you using ?
Quote by I K0nijn I

Yeah we kinda need this. Especially the what amp part, that's a big part of getting the sound.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
im using a vk 112 combo, have changed the stock speaker to a eminence govner
Okay, well a nice OD would probably do you good. Do have a particular budget?

EDIT: Also, where are you located?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by greeny23
you did not just suggest a lovepedal did you Adam..

Problem?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
It's a brand and I don't know about the thing with Adam and Lovepedal, but I guess he either doesn't like them at all, or he likes them a lot. :')
just get a joyo or tonerider tubescreamer clone

not sure there's much point in forking out for a boutique pedal when you have a valveking (plus if all you want is teh bog standard tubescreamer tone, it's not like those ones sound bad, either).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS808 or TS9 is a great place to start! I love my 808!

Walrus Audio has a good OD. Keeley Java Boost, SD1 Keeley modded, TRex has some good ones also. If you go Boss, the Blues Driver is by far their best. Get it upgraded by Keeley after you save up some more.

These should all get you started, but it barely tips the iceberg!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
yeah but in the UK a ts808 is £150 if not more ($250). Debatable if it's worth it when you can get the joyo clone for £30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just got a Joyo Ultimate Drive (Fulltone OCD clone) the other day and it's fantastic. The Vintage Overdrive (TS808 clone) is equally great for the price, and a lot of people have claimed it actually sounds BETTER than the TS808 (though to my ears they're practically indistinguishable from one another). If you're on a budget, I couldn't possibly recommend Joyo pedals any higher. Hell, a bunch of "boutique" pedals (you know who you are) selling for $150-250 over here are just rebranded Joyos anyway.
but are copies the same or as good as originals? like when you play a copy guitar it isnt normally as good as the original, so would that not be the same with pedals?
Tonerider British Distortion.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by bpdeem
TS808 or TS9 is a great place to start! I love my 808!

Walrus Audio has a good OD. Keeley Java Boost, SD1 Keeley modded, TRex has some good ones also. If you go Boss, the Blues Driver is by far their best. Get it upgraded by Keeley after you save up some more.

These should all get you started, but it barely tips the iceberg!

Exactly what I was looking for.

Tube screamer all the way, bro. Even if you decide you don't like the TS, go with an Overdrive pedal not a distortion. You want to keep your tone in the end and be able to add the extra distortion with your playing. The TS on low settings though, man... Such a nice bluesy feel, I just can't get enough of it
Quote by jamie vk
so are joyo pedals really that good?

from what I heard people were willing to pay 3x t=the price for some re-painted ones

you can't go wrong with a good OD and this is a very good one - http://www.madebymike.co.uk/tubescreamer.shtml - made in England too.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by jamie vk
but are copies the same or as good as originals? like when you play a copy guitar it isnt normally as good as the original, so would that not be the same with pedals?

depends on what you mean by a "copy"

i mean heck a tyler and a suhr are copies of a fender.

so's an MIJ tokai

so's a £50 POS beginner guitar

even for fender, you have an MIM standard fender or a custom shop

it depends on the quality of the original and the quality of teh copy

fwiw... i'm not saying the joyo is made as well as a really high-end pedal (not that i'm sure the ibanez version is a really high-end pedal either, i mean it's mass-produced, too). but (having not tried them head to head) it sounds like a tubescreamer.

coda music is getting them into stock soon. if you're anywhere nearby you could just go and try both.

Quote by jamie vk
so are joyo pedals really that good?

some are better than others (the chorus is a bit noisy and thin-sounding, still good for the money, though), but for the money it's hard to complain. At least several of them are "good" regardless of the price. Like, I'd put them up against boutique pedals and they'd easily be able to hold their own.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
this may sound stupid but whats the difference between overdrive and distortion?
there's a lot of overlap, but generally overdrive has teh clipping diodes in a feedback loop around the opamp, which produces softer clipping, while a distortion has teh clipping diodes shunted to ground, which produces harsher clipping.

as i said, though, there's a lot of overlap, and other things affect the type of clipping too (type of diodes used, etc.).

but generally speaking, od is warmer and smoother with more sustain and works better as a boost or for lead guitar, while distortion is harsher and crisper and tends to work better for rhythm playing.

In my experience, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?