Hey UG
I made a thread a couple of days ago about trading in a pedalboard and was suggested a few amps. Instead of necrobumping I thought I'd make a new thread and it can help out some other users in my position as well.

So what do you guys think I should get for an affordable amp?

So far I've been told

Peavey Valveking
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Gear:
Ibanez S420 (Standard tuned)
Ibanez RG350 (Drop C tuned)
BOSS ME-50 multi effects pedal
Marshall MG50
Budget isn't really necessary, I'm buying from Ebay. However, RRP less than £500-£600.
Sound:
Leads - John Petrucci
Rhythm - Josh Middleton

EDIT: I realise I'll need pedals for these kinds of sound, I'm just looking for an amp that will give me a good clean tone and hopefully have a nice distortion channel that I can footswitch between until I can afford good pedals.
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Last edited by RyanIbanezMan at Feb 23, 2012,
Well, the peavy ones are good but they have a lot of FX and amp models on them which is part of what your paying for. If you already have an ME-50 then it sounds like youve already got those bases covered so you really could just get an amp with a good clean and good o/d channel which would be arguably better tone wise as a chunk of your money wouldnt be going towards paying for f/x you already have...
Yeah, the idea with the Tube Vypyr was that I was going to sell my ME-50 and use the Vypyr effects but I'll stick with it if I can find an amp with good tone. So please, any suggestions welcome
Gear:
Marshall MG50
I'll be selling afterwards, or keeping it at home for a practice amp (I'm in uni y'see) but either way I can't sell it now cause then I won't have an amp at all =/
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Can't you play with headphones through the ME-50 and sell the MG? Selling afterwards isn't really helpful for your budget, unless you don't want to invest that money in your new amp.
traynor ycv50b on thomann? hard to beat for teh price. will need a boost for heavier stuff- pick up a harley benton vintage overdrive (made by joyo, it's a tubescreamer clone) from thomann while you're at it.

alternatively if the heavier stuff is the absolute priority, you could consider bugera or the 6505+ 112 (peavey). i haven't tried them, but the traynor is the better amp, i think- but obviously not if it doesn't suit what you want to play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could get a used Peavey ValveKing 112 for less than half your budgeted amount.
That would leave plenty of cash left over for a new speaker and tubes.
At 50 watts it's more than enough for most small gigs and or practice.
Then come on over to the ValveKing thread and well tell you how to get
the most out of it and how to mod it if you want

If the VK 112 isn't right for you then I'd try for the 6505+ 112. That'll even get you into the more metal genres.
Thanks guys the selling of my amp beforehand isn't a massive priority as I'm not looking to buy right this second, I'm hoping to get a job first so I can get my budget a little higher (plus I hate the sound of the ME-50 through headphones).

The more extreme Metal genres aren't really what I'm going for tbf, just a nice tight thrashy rhythm sound a la Sylosis or something that can (almost) get me to a rectifier-type distortion.

However, there are some real cheap Valveking 212s on Ebay, are they worth the money? I know they're going to go up in price in the last day or so but I'm hoping for a good deal.
Gear:
Marshall MG50
if you ask me the traynor's better (i've only tried the 40 watt version, it's similar except for 6L6 tubes and a worse speaker).

getting a vk to upgrade it is a false economy, if you ask me, especially when the traynor is such good value in europe and doesn't need any upgrades
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?