I didn't go and im fine
13 8%
Im going (post reason)
79 51%
Im not going(post reason)
11 7%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 3
Are you happy with your decision? Or why are you making that decision.
Personally im going to try without collage for a wile. because I'm very obsessive compulsive about debt. Or maybe that is the wrong term. I have a debt-phobia if you will. Also I really just want to live a simple life with a generally active job and not sit at a desk, I dont need fancy things.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Last edited by gamenerd323 at Feb 23, 2012,
I didn't go to College...

...I went to University.

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Wow....

No on a serious note, I'm currently in my second semester of my freshman year as a pre med student. It's hard, but worth it.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
lol guys i ****ed up. This proves I bank on spell check way to much.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by gamenerd323
Personally im going to try without collage for a wile. because I'm very obsessive compulsive about debt. Or maybe that is the wrong term. I have a debt-phobia if you will. Also I really just want to live a simple life with a generally active job and not sit at a desk, I dont need fancy things.

I got out of school and worked full time for a year. I didn't make boatloads of money but I made more than the average person in my area does for sure. And only gave my mom 400$ a month for rent, and had the rest to spend on what I wanted. I loved buying any and everything I wanted for a year, but then I realized that I ****ing hate my job, and I will never get that I don't hate AND pays me as much as this one without college. So now I'm in school and I love it.
Get a technical degree. Bachelor's degrees aside from Engineering and Dental Hygiene are all worthless anyway!
OK, non-troll response, I'm at college now, just waiting for exam results to come through. It's just an evening course called Business Administration Level 3, so it's nothing amazing. Hopefully it'll help me in my job search though.
I'm going to college atm. I wouldn't have had I not received financial aid and a few scholarships. I still ended up pulling out a student loan, but its not as big as some people I've known. If I had to do it all over again, I would skip it. Companies value work experience over degrees regardless, especially in the field I want to work in. C'mon...either a Bachelors in IT or 15 years work experience? Of course they're gonna take the guy who's worked longer.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
I joined the military with the long-term goals of figuring out what I wanted to do with my life without living off of my single parent and eventually having my higher education paid for by Uncle Sam.
TS sounds like an government education ad.

But I've applied to uni so I just hope for the best. It's almost impossible to find a decent job if you don't have the education.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I got out of school and worked full time for a year. I didn't make boatloads of money but I made more than the average person in my area does for sure. And only gave my mom 400$ a month for rent, and had the rest to spend on what I wanted. I loved buying any and everything I wanted for a year, but then I realized that I ****ing hate my job, and I will never get that I don't hate AND pays me as much as this one without college. So now I'm in school and I love it.

I was thinking to get over my debt fear i would work for a year or two and save money. My parent might pay for it but...... the way they are that would make me there bitch for another 4 years, and that would be dreadful.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
I'm in the final year of a history degree. I want to be an academic, so university was pretty much obligatory for me.
Quote by Dash49
TS sounds like an government education ad.

But I've applied to uni so I just hope for the best. It's almost impossible to find a decent job if you don't have the education.

College is so shoved down the throats of American youth that degrees in this country are essentially becoming meaningless pieces of paper. I suspect that we'll soon be using them for wallpaper and kindling during the winter months.
Quote by The_Casinator
I(Invalid img) don't like making a collage. It's for old people, like Jackal.

It's for old people
Engineering degree ftw, since I go to Texas A&M I'm pretty much guaranteed a job anywhere there's another aggie haha. Plus engineering jobs pay well.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
I'm currently at college, and it's shit. But then again, I'm at a shit college doing a shit course, so what do I expect.

But yeah I do intend on going to university at some point, but I seem to enjoy fucking up my chances of ever getting there like a boss.
Quote by madbasslover
College is so shoved down the throats of American youth that degrees in this country are essentially becoming meaningless pieces of paper. I suspect that we'll soon be using them for wallpaper and kindling during the winter months.

Well either way. What if you didn't have it? A college/university degree may not have the same impact as in previous times but it is becoming a standard for a well paying job.

I'm not sure how it is in America, since I don't exactly live there.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Despite what i think about them. maybe ill get a job as a cop. nice government job with salary and benefits. or better yet a fireman. I don't believe they require a degree. Also as much as I would like to be a guitar teacher or make a living off music. I know its basically impossible
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by madbasslover

It's mostly undergrad degrees that fall into this category. Getting a Master's or a Doctorates almost guarantees you a job.

...Which is why I'm going to be stuck here at the same university for 6 more years.

Quote by gamenerd323
Despite what i think about them. maybe ill get a job as a cop. nice government job with salary and benefits. or better yet a fireman. I don't believe they require a degree. Also as much as I would like to be a guitar teacher or make a living off music. I know its basically impossible

Most police districts require a 2 or 4 year degree to become a police officer. And firemen get lousy pay for the stuff that they do.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Last edited by zgr0826 at Feb 23, 2012,
How do you guys in college afford anything anyways?.do you work?
If i went i would probably work as well but i feel i would have no time for anything to myself.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by gamenerd323
If i went i would probably work as well but i feel i would have no time for anything to myself.

Scholarships pay for my tuition and I work a part-time job on campus to pay for my personal expenses.

And being a student is a full-time thing, so you do have to sacrifice a lot of your social/recreation time.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by gamenerd323
It might be better suited for you to go to a community college and get a quick 2 year trade skill degree. You can hold down a pretty steady temporary job during that time too and almost pay as you go. As you're finishing the degree you may already be able to land a real job. Lots of those courses start setting you up to work before you even finish. It won't be a boring desk job. You'll get on the work force sooner. Spend less for the degree and pay it off sooner. You'll be established financially pretty quick.

Then later on you'll be able to further your education should you need it.

Being paranoid about debt isn't a bad thing but you should realize there's good debt and bad debt. Education is generally considered good debt so long as you get yourself educated in a useful field. Think of it more like an investment. Just don't rely on your little piece of paper to get you jobs. Social connections are what will get you job opportunities.

Bad debt isn't really an investment. It's when you see that HD 3D TV that's 10 feet across and go into debt to buy it when you know it will take two years to pay it off. That's not a good investment because there will never be a long term financial return for that.
Quote by zgr0826
Scholarships pay for my tuition and I work a part-time job on campus to pay for my personal expenses.

And being a student is a full-time thing, so you do have to sacrifice a lot of your social/recreation time.

well now i know why a lot of college kids smoke pot. lot of stress it seems.

school was never my thing growing up. Now that im done in a few months it just seems so soul crushing to go back. Im a very particular person when it comes to doing things i dont need to do , like certain general eds or electives. That would be the hardest part for me to get over is doing things unrelated to the real job.

Quote by BlackVoid
It might be better suited for you to go to a community college and get a quick 2 year trade skill degree. You can hold down a pretty steady temporary job during that time too and almost pay as you go. As you're finishing the degree you may already be able to land a real job. Lots of those courses start setting you up to work before you even finish. It won't be a boring desk job. You'll get on the work force sooner. Spend less for the degree and pay it off sooner. You'll be established financially pretty quick.

Then later on you'll be able to further your education should you need it.

Being paranoid about debt isn't a bad thing but you should realize there's good debt and bad debt. Education is generally considered good debt so long as you get yourself educated in a useful field. Think of it more like an investment. Just don't rely on your little piece of paper to get you jobs. Social connections are what will get you job opportunities.

Bad debt isn't really an investment. It's when you see that HD 3D TV that's 10 feet across and go into debt to buy it when you know it will take two years to pay it off. That's not a good investment because there will never be a long term financial return for that.

This was basically what my cousin suggested and im actually leaning the most towards at the moment. Thanks for your advice.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Last edited by gamenerd323 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by gamenerd323
well now i know why a lot of college kids smoke pot. lot of stress it seems.

school was never my thing growing up. Now that im done in a few months it just seems so soul crushing to go back. Im a very particular person when it comes to doing things i dont need to do , like certain general eds or electives. That would be the hardest part for me to get over is doing things unrelated to the real job.

You could always check community colleges and get a 2 year degree in criminal justice. Just the classes you need, not much else.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I flunked out of college in my first year (played guitar instead of going to class), and subsequently got kicked out of my parent's place and wasn't allowed to take anything but the clothes on my back

it's been 6 months. I've moved up to a managerial position at work (it's the food business...nothing glamorous..), and I'm doing just fine. I can pay my bills. I can eat. I have free time, internet, and money left over for pot, booze and cigarettes.

Sure, maybe things would have been easier/better off if i'd stayed in school, but ya know? **** it. I feel like I have a better, more open and free lifestyle now. And what's the hurt in working a 'layman's' job if you don't know what it's like to work at a more serious job?

Anyway, if you're serious about going no college for a while, or forever, remember mjones1992's 3 key things to remember.

1. It's always in your best interest to save money in any way you can. (ex. i work in food, therefore I don't pay for food.) (ex. I didn't buy a car, but made sure I got a place near where I work, therefore I don't pay insurance, gas, or a car payment.) (ex. I do my laundry at the neighbors so i don't have to rent a washer and dryer or pay the water and electric a set would require)

2. Debt =/= Good: even if you think you can pay for it on credit, wait till you have the money. unless you're a god at budgeting (which most of us at this age aren't), there's shit you're not going to factor in when you think about whether you're going to be able to pay for something on credit or not, and then oops. card gets over drafted. now oops, my bills are late; late fees are accruing, now oops I don't have enough money for rent and now I have to ask all my friend and/or relatives to borrow money. so debt = not good

3. Never Burn Bridges - Get very good at becoming and being friends with people as well as faking still being friends with people. Almost everyone you meet has SOMETHING to offer, be it the annoying guy at work that invites you outside for a toke after work, or that dickhead friend of a friend who might be able to get you a better paying job, or even the weird girl down the hall that has a washing machine and dryer that she'll let you use. It sounds selfish, but you have to be a little selfish (and be equally generous if you want people to like you, and keep offering things to you).
If I get a free spot then I'll probably go, but I don't even know what to study.

I'll probably be in my late 20s by the time I reach university if I manage to fulfill my present plans. Depends on the circumstances.
Quote by mjones1992
I flunked out of college in my first year (played guitar instead of going to class), and subsequently got kicked out of my parent's place and wasn't allowed to take anything but the clothes on my back

it's been 6 months. I've moved up to a managerial position at work (it's the food business...nothing glamorous..), and I'm doing just fine. I can pay my bills. I can eat. I have free time, internet, and money left over for pot, booze and cigarettes.

Sure, maybe things would have been easier/better off if i'd stayed in school, but ya know? **** it. I feel like I have a better, more open and free lifestyle now. And what's the hurt in working a 'layman's' job if you don't know what it's like to work at a more serious job?

Anyway, if you're serious about going no college for a while, or forever, remember mjones1992's 3 key things to remember.

1. It's always in your best interest to save money in any way you can. (ex. i work in food, therefore I don't pay for food.) (ex. I didn't buy a car, but made sure I got a place near where I work, therefore I don't pay insurance, gas, or a car payment.) (ex. I do my laundry at the neighbors so i don't have to rent a washer and dryer or pay the water and electric a set would require)

2. Debt =/= Good: even if you think you can pay for it on credit, wait till you have the money. unless you're a god at budgeting (which most of us at this age aren't), there's shit you're not going to factor in when you think about whether you're going to be able to pay for something on credit or not, and then oops. card gets over drafted. now oops, my bills are late; late fees are accruing, now oops I don't have enough money for rent and now I have to ask all my friend and/or relatives to borrow money. so debt = not good

3. Never Burn Bridges - Get very good at becoming and being friends with people as well as faking still being friends with people. Almost everyone you meet has SOMETHING to offer, be it the annoying guy at work that invites you outside for a toke after work, or that dickhead friend of a friend who might be able to get you a better paying job, or even the weird girl down the hall that has a washing machine and dryer that she'll let you use. It sounds selfish, but you have to be a little selfish (and be equally generous if you want people to like you, and keep offering things to you).

Yeah i work in food currently., will probably be manager within the next year. I have a car and could get an apartment with my buds if i wanted. witch would allow me to have money left over and basicaly live the simple life, problem is when your roomies move away. Ill eaither take on a bigger load get a smaller place or find new roomies. that might suck
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by gamenerd323
Yeah i work in food currently., will probably be manager within the next year. I have a car and could get an apartment with my buds if i wanted. witch would allow me to have money left over and basicaly live the simple life, problem is when your roomies move away. Ill eaither take on a bigger load get a smaller place or find new roomies. that might suck

Yes, you always have to be conscious of the fact that your roommates will leave, and most of the time you'll find new ones pretty quick (I already have roommates lined up for my next lease cause I'm tired of my current one ), and by the time you don't have anyone to room with anymore, or you get a serious girlfriend and want to move into a place with her, or whatever, you won't be making $8 an hour anymore. My boss is 22, so 2 years older than me. he's not the highest on the food chain at the store, but he still brings in $40k a year. He's not even good at his job. No college degree either.

I guess the whole big jist of it is that it's not THAT difficult to live on your own without a degree. It's definitely do-able, and you won't end up wandering the streets covered in mud and pissing in bottles (unless you're completely incapable of keeping a job).

And for me, school just wasn't my thing. Don't waste your money if you don't know what you want to do with your life, or if you know you're gonna slack off and not do your work, cause this time it's your money, and not the states (as much).
Since I'm at the specific Uni I'm at right now, I'm financially independent because I can make a living off of the co-op work I do through the school, and being so at 18 is pretty awesome. I don't regret it at all
I want to enroll in the city's conservatory. It's really interesting, the classes are diverse and specialized, and though there is alot to do and learn, you get to play in interesting places and who knows, you might end up making a living playing music. (major what-if ofcourse)

But about 80% of the people there are either hipsters or extremely extravagant.

That makes me doubt the place as a good road to take.
I'm going to college. Of course, I mastered the art of the conjunction long before I started going.
I'm in college because I'm interested in research and you can't really do that without a degree. It's a lot of work but I like what I'm doing so it's okay.
Sometimes I wish I took a gap year or something so I'd have more work experience but I don't mind.

Quote by gamenerd323

Scholarships and financial assistance cover most of it. It's still pretty hard which is why I think I should've worked before I joined. Don't really have time to work during the semester. I'm guaranteed a job when I graduate though.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by gamenerd323

I started working when I was 14, and worked 40 hours a week during high school when I turned 16 (I had an employer that would look the other way since that is technically illegal for some stupid reason). I will have my Bachelors Degree in Industrial Engineering in May without any debit from a very respectable school. I have a job lined up at a great place that said depending on my performance they may help pay for an MBA or a masters in something related to industrial engineering.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 23, 2012,
I'm going to college, but I'm not posting my reason here

R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Page 1 of 3