Hey guys,

Today my band received this email:

Hi The Idle Front!

From the founding creators of Club Fiend (Hollywood, California), we here at 272 Records are going to be releasing our thirtieth compilation record from our alt.rock/ indie series called ‘Riot On Sunset Vol. 30.’

We really enjoy your song "Miss Me" and we think it would be a great addition to the record and series!!

With the success of Club Fiend and working with over 400 great bands including renowned artists such as The Start, Beautiful Creatures and Sick Puppies (just to name a few), our attention to detail is unparalleled to any other Indie label.

The record will be distributed to Amazon.com and Amoeba Music (Hollywood’s largest and most popular record store). We have also signed a deal and will be distributing the record for free to various Rock Shops on Hollywood Blvd. & Sunset Blvd.

We will also be releasing the record to 25 college radio stations here in the USA. We will send you all of the station information upon the release of the album so you and your fans can call/write in and request to hear your song. We will also be sending you 5 copies of the record, of course, for you to do whatever you may like with!

The cost to be included on the record is only $119.00 (U.S. Dollars). This helps cover the costs of artwork, shipping, mastering, packaging and distribution.

We would also need for you to sign some paperwork giving us permission to place the song on ‘Riot On Sunset Vol. 30’. This is a NON-Exclusive offer and we would absolutely NOT own any copyrights or licensing at all.

Please feel free to visit us on 272records.com, as well as Amazon.com to see all of our previously released albums and artists.

We're planning for a late March release date, so please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to jump on board and we'll get the ball rolling. Looking forward to hearing back from you real soon!!

This is, in my view, quite strange. I'm doubting the legitimacy of this label, especially because they're asking for money in exchange for promotion, and it doesn't even seem worthwhile. Looking through the other bands on the older copies, none of them seem particularly well supported or followed, most of them having a similar number of 'likes' on Facebook (a poor judge I know, but I digress)

The other question I have is that me and the other songwriter in my band are both registered with APRA and intend to become members of AMCOS. Say we were to accept this offer of a place on the compilation, would we actually be entitled to royalties? Do Australian based mechanical licensing organisations work outside of Australia?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.
If they want you to pay then it's BS. I had the same stuff happen to me....luckily I was going to college for music and I talked to one of my music instructors and yea, if they want YOU to pay it's BS. On the other hand sometimes you may get requests to use a song on an Album (I had this happen) And sure enough it got on a compilation album, but I never received any royalties (not that I was expecting it) just be careful you don't want to get screwed over.
Looks a bit dodgey to me, not sure what they'd want you to sign if they weren't after any copyright or a license? and their website claims they represent 2,391 bands so i wouldn't be surprised if you sent them the money then never heard from them again.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
I'm not sure about the reliability of the letter, as I have no experience with this sort of thing, but I can tell you yes, you would be entitled to royalties and yes, APRA|AMCOS have reciprocal agreements with societies in most territories around the world. If your music is performed publicly or communicated in a foreign territory, the society in that country or territory will collect those royalties and forward them to APRA (from the APRA/AMCOS website itself).
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
It's fake, i'm fairly sure atleast. I don't think Sick Puppies had anything to do with 272 Records. However, if you going to sign to a record, it's better to sign to one thats in the country you live in.
I've had a read around. Apparently it's legit...somewhat.

They do everything they say they do, however they never admit to selling many copies of the CD, or promoting it themselves. Also, a lot of the colleges they supposedly send it to never actually play the record, either because it doesn't fit with their programming or they get fed up of being spammed with all these compilation CD's every few months.

This thread summed it up basically:


There's similar discussion on the Soundwave forums and some local music scene forums.
Let's run with something here...

It cost my band $1000 to get 500 CD's professionally manufactured, which included full-colour packaging, coloured label on disc, shrink-wrap and barcode.


If I could get, say, a dozen bands to each let me use their recording for $119, and grant me permission only to reproduce the songs as required for the CD, then I will make a little better than $400, basically for not doing much else aside from some paperwork.

Getting some CD's into music stores on a consignment basis costs me nothing. Sending them out to campus radio costs almost nothing. Amazon... not sure, but it's not expensive to get onto iTunes, so Amazon probably isn't measurably different.

You're right. They never said they'd promote it. And therein is the rub. Sure, you can pay a bit of money to get onto a compilation CD, but to what end? Campus radio receives all kinds of stuff they never play, because nobody cares enough to get behind it and MAKE them interested in playing it.

Oh, my CD is in the "miscellaneous independent" bin at the record store. Oh, boy. Meh... all well and good, except nobody is buying if nobody knows you exist.

It probably isn't a scam. It's probably just not worth the bother and expense.

Of course, the devil is in the details, but if the agreement is what you suggest it is, then you really don't have anything other than your $119 to lose.

Non-exclusive means that you aren't tied to them, exclusively, for anything. That's good. That's what you want.

Performance royalties are still yours unless you sign them away. However, if nobody knows you exist, then nobody plays your songs, and no royalties are payable.

Mechanical royalties - This is where they're making their money. If they wanted to use your song and actually felt that they could sell this product, they would encourage you to register with your country's mechanical licensing organization and pay you the going rate of $0.08 per song per copy made (not copy sold). So, if they printed up 500 discs, they would pay their $40 to you for the right to make 500 copies. They would get your written permission to use a master recording, (or negotiate a fee or rate that you would collect in return for allowing them to do so) and they'd be good to go. Instead, you are paying them.

Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.