Has anyone tried this amp yet? I went to guitar center last night with the intention of trying at least 5 or 6 different amps. I was at there for almost 2 hours and ended up playing this amp the whole time. I have to say I was more than impressed with this little thing. I started talking to one of the salesman who btw was the coolest most honest music store salesman I've ever encountered. While talking about what I was looking for in an amp he walked me over to the Little 40. He told me he didnt know a whole lot about it but heard someone playing it earlier and sounded like something I might be into, so he got a cable, I grabbed a Gibson Les Paul Standard and we fired her up.

MY IMPRESSION

Features - This is a 40 watt, one channel amp with a foot switchable 6db boost. It has your standard gain, treble, mid, bass and volume controls, but there are a few things that make this amp interesting. There is a knob called the "continuous power control." What this does is let you changes the amps power from the full 40 watts in class AB all the way down to 1 watt class A, or anything in between. There is also a pentode/triode switch, so in triode mode you can go from 15 watts all the way down to .5 watts. There are two high/low switches, one on the front and one on the back. The switch on the front is for high or low output pickups. The high/low switch on the back is for the tube bias. Taking all that into consideration, you can get a TON of different tones out of this one channel. And to top it all off, although this is the EL-34 model, you can also use 6L6's, KT77's or even 6V6's, and the best part of it all is that with the Little 40's advanced tube control system will self bias and match them for you.

Clean sound - I was surprised at the clean headroom I was able to get this amp up to pretty uncomfortable make everyone at guitar center stare at you volumes on the clean channel without it breaking up. It was a very warm, organic clean tone. Not as bright as an AC30, and not as spanky as a fender HRD but somewhere between them with its on voice. Turning the Continuous Power Control (CPC) down into Class A territory there was a nice break up. Again, very organic, very creamy, would be perfect for blues. My favorite clean tone setting was with the Gain control at about 11:00 and the CPC about at about 3:00 or (75%) with a little boost in the treble. This got somewhere near AC30 type sounds, shimmery clean with just a little bit of grit when you dig into the strings.

Distortion - This being a one channel amp, to get to a distortion sound the gain has to be tuned up, the CPC turned down a bit and the boost turned on. This amp on its own is not going to do very high gain, but it was able to get into plexi territory. Great for classic rock tones or high energy power blues leads. It's very responsive to your picking and using the volume knob on your guitar. Had a very full sound and I was impressed with the bass response.

In general I like a high headroom clean amp because I like to use OD and distortion pedals. So to test how it took pedals I ran a Zvex Box of Rock, Proco Rat, EHM Metal Muff, Tube screamer and last but not least TC Electronics Nove Drive into it. They all sounded great, all of them adding their own voice to this already great tone but not one of them sounded out of place. Even with the highest gain settings on these pedals it retained its clarity and organic tone and feel. I also tried it on multiple 2x12 cabinets and it sounded great through all of them.

Reliabilty - Obviously I can't say how reliable this is going to be, but as for quality it oozed it. Handmade in Italy this thing was light yet solid. Wiring was clean and the amp itself made of all high end materials including the handle which is nice Italian leather. The one thing that scares me a little bit is that this is an Italian company just having its products come over to the US, so I don't know how customer service would be, where the amp itself would need to be service at.

Final Thoughts- This amp would be a great amp for many different people in many different situations. Great for gigging musicians that want something light weight, great for someone who wants great tone at bedroom levels and great for recording. Is it perfect? No of course not, but this much versatility, tone, convenience and inovation in a handmade Italian amp for $799 you are getting a lot of bang for your buck!!
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Feb 23, 2012,
Yeah, I had never even heard of it until last night, but I was impressed, I am seriously considering picking one up. Get that and a Laney Cub 2x12 cabinet. Thats a nice, light weight, boutique style mini half stack that can be used at my house and for gigging for less than $1000. Can't really beat that.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Feb 23, 2012,
They had a Triple 6 there also, but I didnt test it out because if I was going to buy one, the little 40 would be the one because I'm looking into a light weight gigging amp. How do the higher gain ones sound? What would you compare them to?
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by guitarguychris1
full 40 watts in class A all the way down to 1 watt class AB, or anything in between.

I think you got this part reversed but got it right in your Clean description.

Nice review though man. I have to see one to try. Cool that you were impressed with it. Not sure I'd buy one or recommend one but like I said, I've never played one.

Also:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473967
I think you got this part reversed but got it right in your Clean description.

Oh I did get that backwards there didn't I. Fixed, thanks
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Hold up, how did you get to see its guts?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Hold up, how did you get to see its guts?

Have you ever seen one before?
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by guitarguychris1
They had a Triple 6 there also, but I didnt test it out because if I was going to buy one, the little 40 would be the one because I'm looking into a light weight gigging amp. How do the higher gain ones sound? What would you compare them to?

Never seen in in real, so cant really compare it to much. Sounds like its somewhere between a 5150 and a Recto from Ola's vids. Its got a lot of girth, and a sort of furry creaminess to it too.
Quote by guitarguychris1
Have you ever seen one before?

I tested one about 5 months back and posted a short review here. However whether or not I've seen one is independent of the question of how you got to see it's guts to know the quality of it's wiring. I don't recall being able to see the guts from the holes in the chasis. Unless the sales rep opened the amp for you to have a look, which is unlikely.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 26, 2012,
i got both Galileo15 (15w el84 based) and Little40 (L34) and i'm really really happy with this amps!!!!!
I can confirm all the good impressions of this review!
I was looking for a clean amp for running a good number of pedals and the L40L34 is kind of perfection for that!
In my research i started trying out every single amp i found on my way, without thinking about the price or number of channels!
With amps plenty of headroom (hiwatt style?), modulation pedals and delays sound ever better...but most of the times it's difficult to find an amp which has a good clean that doesn't interfere with the voice (in terms of clipping the most) of overdrives and distortion boxes! Every time there's a sort of contamination with the personality of the amp and this creates problems in achieving some sort of sounds, particularly when talking about specifically voiced pedals (like a lot of amp-in-a-box) that need all the possible respect of the style of their clipping coming from the circuit...
with this Little 40 i got the best of both worlds
all the dynamics that i can express and feel; plenty of headroom if i need; enormous volumes; great with every single pedal i've tried till now (reeeeeeeeeeally a lot!)...
plus, tnx to the eq section in conjiunction with the CPC i can achieve an enormous ammount of different sound, quite like using different amps: all the versatility that a one channel amp with master volume can give (from perfectly clean to great crunch and all the in between) drastically changing the tone with the eq and with the CPC that helps a lot in finding the right amount of compression from the power section (great feature to recreate the feal of different amps!)...and this reflects, of course, on response of the overdrive pedals!
And when i don't want to take my pedalboards with me, for "hit and run" sections, i can ever crank the preamp section and play with just the guitar straight to the amp, simply volume knob and the onboard boost! Simply perfect for me!
and if thinking to the price, there's a great value for money, is like not paying all the extra features and just buy a single channel amp (and, quite important imho, not chinese!)
weakness?
would be useful the possibility to set the amount of gain of boost wich is too much to use it as a solo boost while running tha amp totally clean
and don't like so much the -6db switch: comes really useful for practicing but, being a passive attenuation, cuts a lot of frequencies...
for the rest...guitar and head on my back with their bags, and the hands for the 1X12 (ceramic speaker) and the pedalboard

sorry, i could talk about my happiness for hours
and, as usual, sorry for my english
Hi guys,

I work for DV Mark and can answer any questions you may have and take your suggestions. Regarding seeing the guts, there are small holes in the metal cage that covers the chassis and you can see inside. As noted, our amps are made very well and we use only high quality parts.

Nice to meet you!

Mitch
Thanks. I'll behave

Yes there is a transparent non-tube gain stage before the preamp tube. The first half of the tube drives the tone network and the second stage is gain recovery. There is also a second 12ax7 that is the phase inverter and is in the power amp.