Page 1 of 2
I've noticed that today's young singers have a very different tone in their voices compared to singers of the past. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but it's noticably different. If one of today's singers covered a song from the 60s, it wouldn't sound right.

There seems to have been a gradual shift in vocal tone over the years, and I'm wondering what has caused it.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but has anyone else noticed this?
People all sound the same nowadays sadly. Except for a few. Doherty, Frusciante and a few more. The distinct voice is gone imo. Distinct doesn't by definition mean good but the Dylan, Cohen, Neil Young or Nick Drake voice. Those are all pretty damn unique. It's very rarely I stumble over new music and think wow, his voice is damn peculiar.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Singers have gotten better, a lot of the old, "classic" voices weren't very good singers at all, technically speaking.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
People all sound the same nowadays sadly. Except for a few. Doherty, Frusciante and a few more. The distinct voice is gone imo. Distinct doesn't by definition mean good but the Dylan, Cohen, Neil Young or Nick Drake voice. Those are all pretty damn unique. It's very rarely I stumble over new music and think wow, his voice is damn peculiar.

The Tallest Man on Earth, too.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Singers have gotten better, a lot of the old, "classic" voices weren't very good singers at all, technically speaking.

and that's damn boring, I prefer a "bad" singer who doesn't give a shit to the technically blessed nowadays who sing about shit and create awful music.

Quote by institutions

How is it unique to just copy Bob Dylan through and through?
Tallest man on earth sound just like Dylan did but he's over the edge even more. And a lot more annoying.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

All 4 of those you mentioned had the same tone, just each had their own bit of character which vocalists still have today. It's kind of like comparing Adam Gontier, Benjamin Burnley, Peter Loeffer, and Maynard James Keen together. They all sound similar, but you can still tell them apart.
I don't think it's fair to generalize everything like that.... there's lots of singers today who sound similar to what you might expect from the 60s or any other decade.
I want the rasp to become cool again. Those awesome belters of soul and rock, who'd hit high notes with so much rasp you'd think they sung with gravel in their mouth.

It is all so clean now
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Morphogenesis26
All 4 of those you mentioned had the same tone, just each had their own bit of character which vocalists still have today. It's kind of like comparing Adam Gontier, Benjamin Burnley, Peter Loeffer, and Maynard James Keen together. They all sound similar, but you can still tell them apart.

Neil Young and Cohen having the same tone? Are you high?
oh, and people back in the day smoke, drank and did a LOT more drugs than modern singers. Those will definitely change your voice.
Cohen is actually the odd one out, he's the reason I threw Keenan in their with my 4. The other 3 are similar, but he has that different voice and is a much more, define-able I guess you would say.

I will admit I'm biased, though. I hate raspy vocalists most of the time and a lot of old vocalists sound like ass to me.
It's just that voices change over generations isn't it? If you hear a 1930's british radio broadcast their accents seem different to how they are now.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Demon Wolf
I want the rasp to become cool again. Those awesome belters of soul and rock, who'd hit high notes with so much rasp you'd think they sung with gravel in their mouth.

It is all so clean now

What we need is for Jorn Lande to become the singer of every band.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Cohen is actually the odd one out, he's the reason I threw Keenan in their with my 4. The other 3 are similar, but he has that different voice and is a much more, define-able I guess you would say.

I will admit I'm biased, though. I hate raspy vocalists most of the time and a lot of old vocalists sound like ass to me.

I love Neil Young, Cohen, Tom Waits, Dylan and Lou Reed. They each brought something unique and none of them were/are very good singers in the classic "good" way.

Neither is Doherty to be fair but he's still a genius. Frusciante is the only one I'd say is a tremendous singer out of those I've mentioned. But he's spectacular at everything it seems.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I love Neil Young, Cohen, Tom Waits, Dylan and Lou Reed. They each brought something unique and none of them were/are very good singers in the classic "good" way.

Neither is Doherty to be fair but he's still a genius. Frusciante is the only one I'd say is a tremendous singer out of those I've mentioned. But he's spectacular at everything it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCScGlX-ajg&feature=related

I will admit, he's got a badass voice. Probably the only "raspy" vocals I can listen to for a prolonged period of time is the dude in The Peculiar Pretzelmen

Oh, Heeeeeeeee's gone to jericho I said heeeeeeeee's gone to jerichooo
I think it's mainly technique and delivery. Singers imitate other singers and trends develop the same way they do with genre.
Quote by Minkaro
What we need is for Jorn Lande to become the singer of every band.

Jorn Lande AND Bob Catley should handle all vocals, ever.

They were actually gonna do an album together, what eventually became Allen/Lande.

A Catley/Lande album would make me drool sooo much
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by CoreysMonster

I'd rather listen to a 'bad' singer who sounds like he means it than some technically great singer who is more interested in hitting the right notes than making good music.

Anyway, as far as good modern singers go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_EBFlHUjmU&list=FL9mR7D6__r5L3BHdtGdGy5g&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Inb4 flaming, inb4 that guy with the solid snake avatar who tends to back me up >.>
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'd rather listen to a 'bad' singer who sounds like he means it than some technically great singer who is more interested in hitting the right notes than making good music.

Pretty much agree with this, although there's only few guys like Tom Waits and Bob Dylan can actually get away with it...
Quote by Morphogenesis26
All 4 of those you mentioned had the same tone, just each had their own bit of character which vocalists still have today.

Bob Dylan is nothing like Neil Young or Leonard Cohen. I can't say anything about Nick Drake since I'm not familiar with his work, but none of the first three sound anything alike. The only similarities with Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen is that they had nasally voices. That's where it ends with those two.

The only way I can see them sounding anything like is if you're on meth. If that's the case then please carry on with your business.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by institutions

That's different since he had a tumour in his pituitary gland (the control centre of hormones basically) and affected not only his growth but a variety of other parts of the body such as the vocal chords.
/biologynerd

But I understand what TS is saying and I think it's due to the "sound" of the voice that's popular today. In the 60s people trained themselves to sound a certain way which was popular back in that time, varying to fit their own style in as well.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by Demon Wolf

It is all so clean now

This! These days the highest voices are kind of raspless, like Tom Yorke, Matt Bellamy, Myles Kennedy and what have you
Fully agree with you sashki - kind goes along the lines of that "popular music on radio is getting worse these days" thread I made a while back.

They all literally sound the same right now and it's some of the pussiest style of singing to come out of people's mouths ever. It's all so clean and nicely produced and so formulaic, it's great for the audience - the listener no longer has to work on understanding vocal styles and imagining what the singer's aperture would've looked like when he/she was singing the song. No need for variety - no need for imagination. Just bump the tunes and nod your head, stupid. They're guaranteed to sound the same tomorrow. No surprises in this world of ours. Can't have surprises now, can we.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Bob Dylan is nothing like Neil Young

Can't remember where to the interview I read, but he definitely said somewhere that he finds it, or at least found it difficult to listen to Neil Young because of all the similarities between them... I don't think it was necessarily with just his voice though.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
How is it unique to just copy Bob Dylan through and through?
Tallest man on earth sound just like Dylan did but he's over the edge even more. And a lot more annoying.

Because he shares a few similar vocal qualities with one other artist, that makes him not at all unique? His voice is more nasal and raspy than Dylans was.
He makes good music and has some interesting guitar lines.

As for the more annoying point, i'll just chalk that one up to you not having good taste.

Quote by Dash49
That's different since he had a tumour in his pituitary gland (the control centre of hormones basically) and affected not only his growth but a variety of other parts of the body such as the vocal chords.
/biologynerd

Didn't know that
Pretty cool.
Last edited by institutions at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Bob Dylan is nothing like Neil Young or Leonard Cohen. I can't say anything about Nick Drake since I'm not familiar with his work, but none of the first three sound anything alike. The only similarities with Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen is that they had nasally voices. That's where it ends with those two.

The only way I can see them sounding anything like is if you're on meth. If that's the case then please carry on with your business.

They all have a sort of rasp to them like how a lot of modern vocalists have a clean smooth sound to them. It's just a very small difference, but I'm saying it because vocalists of today aren't all sounding the same, it's just not the same vocal style as before.

I'm biased though, so oh well.
Edit:
Quote by Morphogenesis26
They all have a sort of rasp to them like how a lot of modern vocalists have a clean smooth sound to them. It's just a very small difference, but I'm saying it because vocalists of today aren't all sounding the same, it's just not the same vocal style as before.

I'm biased though, so oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-E53gmeO-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGq9dah1tY&feature=related
does not sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQxld6lZW4I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFNqj3RGUuM

Bob Dylan just sounds like a really bad version of a young Leonard Cohen too, they're only similar by them both being nasally, Cohen is no longer that way at all though.

Quote by darkstar2466
Fully agree with you sashki - kind goes along the lines of that "popular music on radio is getting worse these days" thread I made a while back.

They all literally sound the same right now and it's some of the pussiest style of singing to come out of people's mouths ever. It's all so clean and nicely produced and so formulaic, it's great for the audience - the listener no longer has to work on understanding vocal styles and imagining what the singer's aperture would've looked like when he/she was singing the song. No need for variety - no need for imagination. Just bump the tunes and nod your head, stupid. They're guaranteed to sound the same tomorrow. No surprises in this world of ours. Can't have surprises now, can we.

Exactly, people are afraid to put genuine intensity into music too, it's 'technical' intensity, people learning to sound 'angry' instead of actually sounding angry because they were ****ing angry at the time. Not just angry, but having the genuine sound like that seems rare, as if there's a real fear of taking off the mask and exposing raw feelings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIQCYoImaI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGsKwiKkETI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhyQPixAsc

etc

to be honest, i think this entire society has a problem with emotions and telling the truth about feelings, it's no surprise that this reflects in the falseness of emotion in popular music.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Feb 23, 2012,
Bob Dylan FTW. I never found bad singing as awesome as his.

I kinda hate smooth voices. I'm generalizing of course since some of them can be found in my music library but usually it's 'The raspier, the better'. Sounds more genuine and human.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by institutions
Because he shares a few similar vocal qualities with one other artist, that makes him not at all unique? His voice is more nasal and raspy than Dylans was.
He makes good music and has some interesting guitar lines.

As for the more annoying point, i'll just chalk that one up to you not having good taste.

Are you seriously comparing Tallest Man On Earth with Bob Dylan and saying that I have bad taste for liking Dylan more? Are you retarded?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
1970 voices < Every other era of voices.

Fight me. >.>

Sir, this statement is horrible and you sould feel horrible.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Am I the only one here who can't stand Bob Dylan's voice?
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Nope. He has written some legendary songs but he is an awful, awful, awful singer.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Demon Wolf
Nope. He has written some legendary songs but he is an awful, awful, awful singer.

With an awesome, awesome, awesome voice. I can do this all night, baby.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Demon Wolf

ufunnyikillulast.jpg
Page 1 of 2