So i know there are 5 patterns for the pentatonic scale, but i was just wondering, where do you play each pattern for every scale? So say i want to solo in the key of A, where on the fretboard would i use position 3?
As far as I know, there aren't "official" names for each position - I've heard different people refer to different positions by different names. So the short answer to your question is, you look at the place you learned the scale, and notice that it probably has some note positions marked as "roots" or "tonics."

Put one of those dots on an "A" note and you're scale will fall into that key.

That being said, I would encourage someone of your level of experience not to worry about learning all the patterns yet. Just learn one (I recommend starting on the low-E root) and use it for a while, to get the sound in your head. Learning multiple positions right away encouraged you to think physically - you focus on what your fingers are doing. Learning one position lets the position become automatic quickly so you can focus on letting your ears guide you.
Maybe this will help

Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
^
ignore that

there's absolutely no reason to bring modes into this, certainly not misleading information about them

Quote by sydrock
So i know there are 5 patterns for the pentatonic scale, but i was just wondering, where do you play each pattern for every scale? So say i want to solo in the key of A, where on the fretboard would i use position 3?

learn the notes on your fretboard. The End.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
^
ignore that

there's absolutely no reason to bring modes into this, certainly not misleading information about them

learn the notes on your fretboard. The End.

Not so much the modes put the patterns at the bottom of the page. It's just showing how to play them, not necessarily the positions.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

^^ The 1st shape is the minor shape, the 2nd shape is the major shape. The others are just other shapes.
This is in the key of E minor/G major though. If you want to use the A minor scale for example, the 1st shape will begin on the 5th fret (where the note is 'A').

Hope this helps!
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by sydrock

This chart might help you..

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/diagrams/view/5

the colored notes labeled R = root note

in this particular diagram all of the roots = G, so if you want to play the patterns in A just move them up a whole step so that the root = A
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by MaddMann274

^^ The 1st shape is the minor shape, the 2nd shape is the major shape. The others are just other shapes. -Dude, they could all be pentatonic minor and they could all be the pentatonic major shapes - it just depends what the root note is. There is no single "major" or "minor" shape. - actually it looks like in this case the root notes are all grey which makes all of those shapes minor pentatonic shapes -in particular Em pentatonic.
This is in the key of E minor/G major though. If you want to use the A minor scale for example, the 1st shape will begin on the 5th fret (where the note is 'A').

Hope this helps!

edited above. I like your picture though. Did you make it? It's good. I like what youdid with the colours. (i am being serious too btw)
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 24, 2012,
The diagrams above should be really helpful for you. However, I think Steven Seagull hit the nail pretty much on the head with learning the note names. The first and, in my eyes, most essential step in understanding and applying any form of theory (this means scales, modes, heck even chords!) to the guitar, you MUST learn the note names on the guitar.

A lot of people fear away from doing this because there are seemingly a shitload of different possibilities. Well good news! You only need to learn up to the 12th fret and then everything just repeats. If you were to dedicate even 10 minutes of your practice time a day you will have it memorized in 2 weeks tops.

My suggestion for this is to learn one string every two days. On the 3rd day when you start to learn the second string be sure to return to the first one you just learned to keep it fresh. This is one way of learning them all. Another way would be for you to find patterns in the notes. I'll give you a hint on what you should look for... The notes running down will always be in the order BEADGCF. Find the correct pattern on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets and memorize them and you'll know more than you think. Just remember, you won't always start on B, but the order will stay in tact. For example on the 5th fret you start on A....

Once you'ver gotten that out of the way you just need to learn the 5 overlapping shapes of the pentatonic scale, which has been posted multiple times throughout this thread. Then, if you want a riff or song or solo to be in a certain "key", you just return to that note often throughout the riff. Keep your playing within the scale and hit your key often, and you're all set my friend.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any questions pal.
Quote by 20Tigers
edited above. I like your picture though. Did you make it? It's good. I like what youdid with the colours. (i am being serious too btw)

Nah, just something I came across while searching the web. Figured it could be helpful.
and sorry, am pretty bad at explaining stuff.