So I did have a Fender JA-90 Telecaster. Beautiful guitar. Well made and it was great. However, it sounded way to much like my Les Paul. The P90's just sounded like humbuckers. So I wanted something different. I already have a Les Paul and a Strat so naturally, gravitated towards a proper Telecaster. It had to be blonde as well. I won't have a Tele in any other colour. And being a massive Rolling Stones fan and Bruce Springsteen, there wasn't anything else I was going to consider.

So I went up to Manson's in Exeter today. Same place John-Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin gets his basses custom made and the same place Matt Bellamy of Muse gets his guitars made.

First Tele I picked up was a Fender Baja. I didn't pick any other guitars up except a USA made 57 reissue Telecaster to compare the two. I preferred the Baja to be honest. It just felt better. So that's it. I traded my old JA-90 and walked out the shop with the Baja for £270. Not bad.

As a whole, it's a pretty standard telecaster. Same layout, string through body, maple neck. The first maple necked guitar I've ever had, actually.

However, it differs from a normal tele because the volume control has a switch on it. You press it and it puts position 1 and 3 out of phase. It sounds very similar to Tie Your Mother Down by Queen, the verses of Bring It On Home by Zeppelin. Sounds like a half cocked wah basically. Real nice sound I think. The pictures don't show it, but there's some slight birdseye on the neck too. Very low action with no buzz at all. Very nicely set up. It cleans up so well. I can have sparkly cleans or heavy distortion and overdrive just by turning the volume of the guitar up or down.

So you're going to want low quality, low light mobile phone pictures now aren't you? Well, it's your lucky day!

nice one, hngd

i love my baja tele. great value for money too.

hows the neck on yours? mine's a baseball bat and then some
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
HNGD, Bajas are cool guitars.

Actually the only MIM Fenders I'd actually buy that is not a Road Worn.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Blompcube
nice one, hngd

i love my baja tele. great value for money too.

hows the neck on yours? mine's a baseball bat and then some

The neck on mine is huge. Even bigger than my Les Paul,. But it's cool.

Thanks guys!
Tele.........

HNGD though.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I've eyed the Bajas myself many a time. Love that S-1 and V-profile neck. HNGD.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I am so jealous :

My next guitar is going to be a Baja and then I'll pair it up with an Orange Dual Terror.

I hate you, man!

Beautiful Tele, HNGD
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Beautiful! I love teles...

HNGD!
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Nice. Not a big Tele guy, but if I was to get one, I'd want it to look like that. It's how a Tele is supposed to look imo.
Quote by griffin888
Nice. Not a big Tele guy, but if I was to get one, I'd want it to look like that. It's how a Tele is supposed to look imo.

I share that same opinion on Teles they must look like that one for me to even consider it. At all.
Quote by SoulCrazyDemon
Do you have an adaptor in the input of your amp in the background?

The white thing? That's not my amp. That's a portable iPod speaker/ docking unit. It's awesome. You can plug a guitar into it but it doesn't sound too good. The adapter was so I could plug my laptop into it when playing music.

And I used to hate Telecasters. They looked thrown together, industrial and were way too twangy and thin for my liking. Humbuckers or go home. But, they slowly grew on me and now I love everything about them.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Feb 23, 2012,
I've never been a HUGE fan of Tele shapes, but I don't inherently dislike them. This one looks good though, and I've always found that tele's play really well. HNGD!
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
HNGD.

My gas for a Telecaster has grown a bit.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks guys.

Had it for a few days now and it's still amazing. It's slowly becoming my favourite out of my Les Paul and Strat...

It has been hard adjusting the the layout of the controls though. Switching pickups without looking was hard at first!
Really not a bad trade indeed.
Fortunately I already have a tele in my arsenal so my GAS doesn't act up seeing this one. I have a thing for blond telecaster which I cannot explain :p.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yeah. Blonde telecasters (with black pickguard) or nothing.

I will be hopefully uploading a video later today so you can hear this thing in action. I've got a seriously cool tone going on with the neck pickup tone rolled all the way off, then put it through the tone bender with some reverb... Shit the bed, I have never heard such a glorious tone.
thats what a tele should look like..Ive never owned a maple neck either it feels weird. did you get used to it ok?
Quote by dlowe102
thats what a tele should look like..Ive never owned a maple neck either it feels weird. did you get used to it ok?

It's not that much different... It's glossed, which I think is pretty weird. That makes it smoother when bending strings but it doesn't seem that different.
I like your new tele almost as much as your avatar Happy NGD!
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III