Yeah, I know, there are lots of UG Community Albums but I missed something:
an Acoustic Instrumental Album wich features original Instrumental pieces by the UG Community. I think it would be a great idea And I think there are alot of people here who are into this kind of music-

I'm not experienced with this by any means, but I could be the "organizer" (or however you want to call it) for it. So tips are of course welcomed.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

The official planning thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29196264#post29196264

Get in and sign up! (:
Last edited by Weirdbag at Feb 23, 2012,
yeah, i would do this
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Oh, awesome
I thought about an Andy Mckee / John Butler (Ocean) kind of style. Also:

What do you think: Just one take with just an acoustic guitar or adding more instruments (maybe even vocals) for ambience? Or should that be up to everyone, how he likes it?

(Thanks Mods)
How about this idea? We all contribute to one long instrumental and everyone has a minute (give or take a few seconds) to record a part.

I can easily see myself just doing chords though
Proud user of Apple hardware!
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Don't start, or I'll logic you right in the thyroid.
Oh yeah... I just noticed that. >.<

EDIT: What the below man said.
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Quote by 3HitKO
How about this idea? We all contribute to one long instrumental and everyone has a minute (give or take a few seconds) to record a part.

Nice! I like that idea, but how about this kind of collectiv long instrumental, and still other, normal tracks?

Cause I can imagine, that some people may have a problem with that, so they can still submit their own songs.

A 10min instrumental with 4-5 people might be perfect
Quote by 3HitKO

i would like to take part in a lonjg instrumental too but i think that it should be secondary to solo instrumentals (which the respective artist has complete control over, other than it MUST be acoustic but may have distorted electrics very quietly in the mix at the back for atmosphere).
i think there should be maybe 5-15 tracks on the album depending on how many people want in. 1 should be a 10 minute or so instrumental in which all participate. that way we get the best of both worlds (sorry about that hannah montana reference, i couldnt think of another way to put it).
Quote by itamar100
i would like to take part in a lonjg instrumental too but i think that it should be secondary to solo instrumentals (which the respective artist has complete control over, other than it MUST be acoustic but may have distorted electrics very quietly in the mix at the back for atmosphere).

Yeah, that's something I don't know really know how to handle.
Either, you have to play everything (so just acoustic guitar) in one take, or it's up to everyone how many instruments or vocals he adds, but the acoustic guitar has still got to be the first priority

EDIT:
i think there should be maybe 5-15 tracks on the album depending on how many people want in. 1 should be a 10 minute or so instrumental in which all participate. that way we get the best of both worlds.

Agree 100% (:
I'll be willing to think of some chords that could make up the base for the long one

Gimme a few minutes and I'll have an idea.
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Idea for backing chord progression of the long track..... F, Am, C, G?
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Quote by 3HitKO

I guess some people play in Open C, so I guess it would be helpful if it's in C maj
Also, pretty much everyones familiar with the Key Of C. So it is in C maj?

(But then again, I dont know much about music theory )

EDIT:

BIG Thanks, to the people who are interested in this, I'm really stoked! (is this the right word? xD i'm german)
Quote by 3HitKO

i personally think that it should be oin the key of G Major. theres something special about that key. or maybe A Harmonic Minor since its acoustic.

BTW, g major is the same as C major but with an F#.
I'm just gonna record a loop of me playing F, Am, C, and G and then let you guys have fun with it :p
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Quote by 3HitKO
I'm just gonna record a loop of me playing F, Am, C, and G and then let you guys have fun with it :p

no, do something slightly more interesting than that.

im gonna record something in g major and then dancing hitler can choose what to use.
F, Am, C, G, F, Am, Em, G? -isn't actually with his guitar right now >.>-
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Quote by 3HitKO
F, Am, C, G, F, Am, Em, G? -isn't actually with his guitar right now >.>-

dunno? record it and post it here. whatever we do, im willing to add the bass line and i could also mix and master the it.
Quote by Weirdbag
I guees we should let the backing track be withhout any effects, so in the end one just simply master it with reverb and stuff thats my idea

sure.

so currently 4 people have signed up. maybe if we get the mods attention we'll get more to sign up.
So, should I open a real planning thread with OP and guidelines and information and signup list and stuff?
But before I do that, I need some plan how to handle the long, collective track.
Should I just upload the backing track, somebody overdubs 2mins long, and then the next one or maybe mulitrack wavs or reaper project data? Hit me
Send the backing track to everyone as a WAV and they can record over using whatever software they want but when they send it back they must have it saved as a WAV.

They can send it to me and you (I'm willing to give my email) and I can master and you'll always have the originals. I quite enjoy mixing and mastering and I've done it many time for my friends and myself.

Just tell me if you want.

You should post all the details about how many tracks there will be on the album, how long the parts should be for the long instrumental and there should be a sign up list and a deadline. Give it 1 week before we get the rest going and tell everyone to check on the thread regularly for details and final desicions.
Quote by itamar100
Send the backing track to everyone as a WAV and they can record over using whatever software they want but when they send it back they must have it saved as a WAV.

They can send it to me and you (I'm willing to give my email) and I can master and you'll always have the originals. I quite enjoy mixing and mastering and I've done it many time for my friends and myself.

Just tell me if you want.

You should post all the details about how many tracks there will be on the album, how long the parts should be for the long instrumental and there should be a sign up list and a deadline. Give it 1 week before we get the rest going and tell everyone to check on the thread regularly for details and final desicions.

Sounds like a plan
I'd say you add some reverb, comp and EQ on the backing track, so that it's sounds the same for everyone.
The submissions are mixed by the UGers themselves, but they are only allowed to add effects or something to the new recorded stuff, the backing track can't be changed. Then we only have to arrange them in order and master them together. If you want to, you can do that and be some kind of "supervisior" for that long instrumental track
That's what I thought, tell me what you think about that

Can you maybe upload the backing track to mediafire or soundcloud something so i can take a listen?

And should we just send them the backing track or should we make an open link to mediafire or something similar?

EDIT: What do you mean with the 1 week rest? sorry^^
I'm in if I can do one of my own songs.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Potentially in.
My acoustic sounds like crap off the bat (cheap one).
I'll lurk to see how well this comes together I have an acoustic-only track in my profile if anyone's interested
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Potentially in.
My acoustic sounds like crap off the bat (cheap one).
I'll lurk to see how well this comes together I have an acoustic-only track in my profile if anyone's interested

Wow dude, sounds really, really amazing!
Would be awesome if you join
Quote by Weirdbag
Sounds like a plan
I'd say you add some reverb, comp and EQ on the backing track, so that it's sounds the same for everyone.
The submissions are mixed by the UGers themselves, but they are only allowed to add effects or something to the new recorded stuff, the backing track can't be changed. Then we only have to arrange them in order and master them together. If you want to, you can do that and be some kind of "supervisior" for that long instrumental track
That's what I thought, tell me what you think about that

Can you maybe upload the backing track to mediafire or soundcloud something so i can take a listen?

And should we just send them the backing track or should we make an open link to mediafire or something similar?

EDIT: What do you mean with the 1 week rest? sorry^^

Sounds awesome. I'm going to sleep right now so I'll upload one tomorrow. I'll do it in C major just to keep things simple.

I meant that there should be one week to sign up and after that it closes and we get underway with recording and submitting the stuff.
Last edited by itamar100 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by itamar100
Sounds awesome. I'm going to sleep right now so I'll upload one tomorrow. I'll do it in C major just to keep things simple.

I meant that there should be one week to sign up and after that it closes and we get underway with recording and submitting the stuff.

Ah okay, sounds fine (:
Sounds nice. Alas, I only have a rubbish acoustic and no mic, but I'll be following this.

If only I had a lute...
I'm going to upload a version of the backing track recorded with the mic on my laptop.

And F, Am, C, G, F, Am, Em, G actually sounds pretty good. I checked last night :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm gonna dig up my capo so the chord progression is in C :p
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Last edited by 3HitKO at Feb 24, 2012,