So I've been a member on this site for quite a while and I really don't post here much anymore but recently I came across an issue. I received a private message from a newer member offering to record my music with their band. He/she is being incredibly vague about everything and I don't believe what he/she is telling me. They claimed to have already recorded one of my songs and "weren't aware" that I was the one who had written it (which I was not happy with). He/she says that they are a popular band with over 100k fans but when I asked what the name of the band was or where I could listen to any material the question was ignored (suspicious much?). He/she just said that they were popular and have connections with people and blah blah blah etc.

I also recently ran across another issue where this band cloudyhead had stolen from numerous people's songs on this site (tabs and chords forum) and claimed it as their own. I'm incredibly paranoid now and I just want to know if there's anything I can do to ensure my music not getting stolen from here. I would take all my songs down but I feel that having the files on the site would give proof that I had posted the songs before anyone else had recorded/posted anything of mine. I'd greatly appreciate any and all input I can get with this!

Also if this is in the wrong place please let me know and I'll move it
If they emailed you saying they used one of your songs (intulectual property) without permission. You have already won the battle.

Not sure how you would start a legal claim against them though.
Quote by metalaxxe11
If they emailed you saying they used one of your songs (intulectual property) without permission. You have already won the battle.

Not sure how you would start a legal claim against them though.

Get a lawyer and sue?

Yes, if they emailed you saying they used your song, and you have the copyrights, you've already won. Enjoy getting your check in the mail.
Quote by zakatak9389
But I haven't filed copyrights on the music. I only posted it on here for other composers to enjoy and give me feedback on. Is there any way I can even copyright guitar pro files?

As long as you can prove the date of creation, then you are winning. Even if you post a copy of it to yourself, it is technically a form of proof of creation because it will have a date stamp. If the upload date is displayed, then you have proof.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by zakatak9389
But I haven't filed copyrights on the music. I only posted it on here for other composers to enjoy and give me feedback on. Is there any way I can even copyright guitar pro files?

Yes, you can copyright GP files...you just fill out the government form and send in a CD with the song on it. Piece of cake.

Quote by leony03
As long as you can prove the date of creation, then you are winning. Even if you post a copy of it to yourself, it is technically a form of proof of creation because it will have a date stamp. If the upload date is displayed, then you have proof.

True, you can probably still win the case, but it is a bit more of a grey zone if you havent actually gotten the piece copyrighted by the government. In the future, I suggest sending in a copyright before you put things on the internet, just as a guarantee that you are covered completely.
Restrictive Licensing Agreements: The access to digital materials, copyright and public domain are controlled. Some restrictive licenses are imposed on consumers as a condition of entering a website or when downloading software.Encryption, Scrambling of expressive material, and embedding of a tag: This technology is designed to control access and reproduction of online information. This includes backup copies for personal use
If you did'nt copyright the stuff you are screwed.Public domain ie;the internet overrides all of it.If your stuff is good enough to steal what the hell are you doing?You have a contract?A manager?Is this band making money' off anything but the gate?If youre good enough to steal from,you're good enough to sell it.I know having a manager is right up there with poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick,but this is a hell of a buisness.I only had one manager I did'nt want to kill occasionally and he sucked.If it had'nt been for them,I'd be living on macaroni and cheese after I got hurt.They paid taxes,social security,secured royalties,all that shit.I could.All I cared about was playing and gettin wasted when I was'nt.I ain't changed either.I've got a six figure check coming in soon and all I can think about is a white ES-347 and a new Porsche.Then I'll go someplace warm til it,s gone.Find a real weasel,the one with the sharpest teeth,and try not to hit him over the head with a les Paul.
Maybe PM a mod of that forum about the user if they are admitting to using people's songs and recording them?