Page 1 of 2
Another UG Album? Yes, another one. But this one's going to be awesome.

After receiving a nice amount of interest, we're going to make the first

ULTIMATE GUITAR COMMUNITY: ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM

- Open for everyone
- No Competition!

Want to join? Sign up by letting us know that you're in by posting a comment.

GUIDELINES

1. Only original songs, no covers.
2. The acoustic guitar is the main instrument. (Remember this is an acoustic instrumental album)
3. Other instruments (even vocals) can be added for ambience etc., but remember guideline 2.!
4. No exact deadline (yet). It's probably going to be around Fall/Winter 2012.
5. Submitting a song: A mixed and mastered song can be submitted by uploading it to mediafire, soundcloud or dropbox and the link can then be posted in the comments (or PM, if you're shy). It should preferably be in a wav or flac format (lossless format).
6. Always post a song name and an artist name (not the an username!) with your submission.
7. You have questions, want critic or anything else? --> Comment! (:

THE SPECIAL PART
Thanks to 3HitKO for the idea and 3HitKO & itamar100 for the devolpment of the idea!

To make this album a little bit more interesting, we came up with this idea:

Instead of only single tracks by different UGers, we also (in addition to the normal tracks!) make one big, collective, single acoustic instrumental track wich will be around 10 minutes long and will feature about 5 different UGers.

How?

Well, there will be one, big backing track (in the Key of C and WAV format) which everyone will have to use, to ensure that the different parts will fit together in the end.

You want to take part?

After you got the backing track (we will either post a link to the the backing track here, or send you the link in a PM) you have 120 to 150 seconds (2min - 2.30min) to record your material over the backing track. After that you can mix and master the song, BUT ONLY YOUR NEW RECORDED MATERIAL; NOT THE BACKING TRACK! LEAVE THE BACKING TRACK UNTOUCHED. (Don't even change the volume of it or something)
The reason for that is so that then, the backing track sounds the same on all parts in the end. If you really want to change something in the backing track (like a pause or something) ask in the comment section, please!

If interested in submitting a part to the "Big One", please state it in your comment.

Submit the part like described in the "Guidelines" section, but in addition of giving the part you're submitting a title, you should give us some information, on how to use your part in the context of the other part: Intro; Outro; Break; Use Fade In; Use Fade Out (remember not to change the backing track on your own )

Problems or questions?
Headmaster of the big collective track and creator of the backing track: itamar100
(Sry for my english)

Sign-Up List
- Weirdbag
- 3HitKO
- itamar100
- jetfuel495
- Jon777
- hriday_hazarika
- unyinz
- korinaflyingv
- Hereiwas

Sign-Up List for the big collective instrumental song
- itamar100
-Jon777

SONGS FOR REFERENCE:
Andy McKee - For My Father
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4

John Butler - Ocean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0
Last edited by Weirdbag at Feb 24, 2012,
If I do a song by myself, does it have to be guitar? Like, could I do something on banjo?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
If I do a song by myself, does it have to be guitar? Like, could I do something on banjo?

i'd say that this sounds like a really cool idea, you should try that but normally i guess an acoustic guitar should be the main instrument (:
Count me in, brah-da. I'm always up for some acoustic instrumental goodness.

EDIT: I'd also like to participate in the huge collaborative song, if that's cool.
Last edited by Jon777 at Feb 24, 2012,
I would like to attempt this, as I have an acoustic song written that I think would be a good fit. The only problem is that I don't actually own an acoustic guitar. Could I use an electric if I fiddle with the sound and fake acoustic tone real good? (My guess is no.)
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
I would like to attempt this, as I have an acoustic song written that I think would be a good fit. The only problem is that I don't actually own an acoustic guitar. Could I use an electric if I fiddle with the sound and fake acoustic tone real good? (My guess is no.)

idk, so just record it and we'll see
I couldn't choose a song to do for the acoustic cover album, but I'd be up for writing something original.

Would a blues and jazz-influenced song be alright? It'll probably have vocals.
I'd like to do both a solo and collaborative track. Although, I thinks that's been understood already.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I couldn't choose a song to do for the acoustic cover album, but I'd be up for writing something original.

This isn't meant to be a cover album.
A jazz influenced song may be ok but you'll have to limit the vocals. I'd wait for wierdbag to reply though.
Quote by itamar100
This isn't meant to be a cover album.
A jazz influenced song may be ok but you'll have to limit the vocals. I'd wait for wierdbag to reply though.

Yeah, I know. I was talking about the album Kitten/Jon777 is arranging. I remember posting there.

Cool.
I'd be interested in doing this, and have a possible song recorded. Unfortunately the production quality isn't the best, and I'm don't know how to master a track.

Also it's nowhere near as complicated as the example songs, but I'd assume it doesn't have to be.
Quote by unyinz
I'd be interested in doing this, and have a possible song recorded. Unfortunately the production quality isn't the best, and I'm don't know how to master a track.

Also it's nowhere near as complicated as the example songs, but I'd assume it doesn't have to be.

If you want you can send the tracks to me (save in the format of the audio editing software) and I'll master it for you to your specs.

What software do you use?
I'm at school now, I'll upload the backing track in a few hours. If you like it, say so. If not then tell me what to change.
thanks to itamar100 for answering some questions, he's kind of a "co-organizer" of this album so you can listen to him, too

Original is a must
and sure it can be influenced by other genres, no problem with that, but as itamar already said: you got to be careful with the vocals, make them rare but special, I'd say, cause it's an acoustic instrumental album. (:
Quote by Weirdbag
as itamar already said: you got to be careful with the vocals, make them rare but special, I'd say, cause it's an acoustic instrumental album. (:

Well, I can always play the vocal melody on the guitar instead of singing it.
Quote by Weirdbag
Sure, i want to take a listen to it

But I guess you're in , right?

Definitely in ;D

I may or may not submit a part to the long track, but I definitely will post the backing track for everyone.
Proud user of Apple hardware!
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Don't start, or I'll logic you right in the thyroid.
ok, ive made my backing track but it was recorded using a shitty unplugged electric guitar and my iphone cos im at my cousins house. if you like it, tell me and ill properly record it.

BTW, its in the quicktime format cos its from myt iphone so im quite sure that you need quicktime to hear it but you can try other softwares/

http://www.mediafire.com/?9h4u5ekpc52cskv
Quote by itamar100
ok, ive made my backing track but it was recorded using a shitty unplugged electric guitar and my iphone cos im at my cousins house. if you like it, tell me and ill properly record it.

BTW, its in the quicktime format cos its from myt iphone so im quite sure that you need quicktime to hear it but you can try other softwares/

http://www.mediafire.com/?9h4u5ekpc52cskv

Well, that's really bad quality
But I like it, it's definatly not hard to improvise something right away

I would like to hear the opinions of the ofther guys, espacially those who already signed up for the big track.

(a silly idea by me: how about making more of an ambience backing track with pads and stuff? ;D)
Quote by Weirdbag
Well, that's really bad quality
But I like it, it's definatly not hard to improvise something right away

I would like to hear the opinions of the ofther guys, espacially those who already signed up for the big track.

(a silly idea by me: how about making more of an ambience backing track with pads and stuff? ;D)

I could definately do that, i have an MFX pedal so it shouldnt be a problem at all. A bit of chorus, stereo delay and and maybe a harmonizer and it should sound awesome.

Ill work on sonething.

EDIT: i just listened to it again, i think that its slightly long. I might make new one.
Last edited by itamar100 at Feb 24, 2012,
What tempo would everyone like the backing track to be? 140bpm?
Proud user of Apple hardware!
Old, terrible powertabs

Quote by whoomit
Don't start, or I'll logic you right in the thyroid.
I will do something for this

edit: in fact, i could post something right now. Do you want the submissions in a seperate thread?

Post in this thread. Got it.

http://soundcloud.com/cuso4/gargantuan-sneese Is this alright, or is there too much processing? Its all from one accoustic track, but theres alot of reverb and tremolo and stuff.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Feb 24, 2012,
I could definately do that, i have an MFX pedal so it shouldnt be a problem at all. A bit of chorus, stereo delay and and maybe a harmonizer and it should sound awesome.

Ill work on sonething.

EDIT: i just listened to it again, i think that its slightly long. I might make new one.

If you do so much processing with the guitar (I had VSTis in my mind ) try to keep it in the background, i can imagine it too sound way too complicated and distracting

What tempo would everyone like the backing track to be? 140bpm?

Too much in my eyes^^ 100bpm is perfect i think

I will do something for this
Post in this thread. Got it.
http://soundcloud.com/cuso4/gargantuan-sneese Is this alright, or is there too much processing? Its all from one accoustic track, but theres alot of reverb and tremolo and stuff.

Well, the accoustic riff seems (i can not hear it really ) so great, that the effects are really distracting in fact, to be honest, I don't like the effects, that's my opinion
you should definitaly try it with less effects! (:
Quote by Weirdbag

Well, the accoustic riff seems (i can not hear it really ) so great, that the effects are really distracting in fact, to be honest, I don't like the effects, that's my opinion
you should definitaly try it with less effects! (:

*puts on headphones, begins tweaking nobs*

>.>

...WHAT!?

Edit: I've changed the speed or the pitch or something form when it was recorded. I think I'll just try doing something else.

et voila: http://soundcloud.com/cuso4/filming-tomorrow
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Feb 24, 2012,
Do Want. Might do either Paranoid android, I Might Be Wrong, Reckoner or Staircase by Radiohead.
Quote by Weirdbag
I'm sorry, no covers just originals

I think I got to update the op^^

(Invalid img)
Quote by Weirdbag
If you do so much processing with the guitar (I had VSTis in my mind ) try to keep it in the background, i can imagine it too sound way too complicated and distracting

No problem, I rarely make effects "overpowering" anyway. Especially not for ambient stuff.
I'd love to contribute but unfortunately I have no acoustic guitar. What about just regular acoustic instruments?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Julz127
I'd love to contribute but unfortunately I have no acoustic guitar. What about just regular acoustic instruments?

What sort of instruments? Do you have a classical guitar? Or maybe an acoustic emulator pedal for the electric guitar?
Quote by itamar100
What sort of instruments? Do you have a classical guitar? Or maybe an acoustic emulator pedal for the electric guitar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_music

I thought this is what TS had in mind by "UG Acoustic instrumental album."

Anyways, If I can get my electric to sound like an acoustic I'll consider contributing.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Page 1 of 2