So I recently decided to buy a guitar since I wanted to learn how to play. I had a $400 budget and I wanted a good all around guitar that was good for playing anything. For practice I wanted to play chords without an amp and some lighter blues, etc. However, I eventually wanted to get into some metal. I started to learn some of Metallica's easier metal songs and they were pretty easy to play. Paired with my Fender Mustang I the sound sounds very genuine and fantastic in my opinion. I visited over 10 guitar shops here in the Bay Area and everyone basically told me that the two best all-around guitars would be a Stratocaster or a Les Paul. I decided to pick up an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in Ebony since I thought it looked pretty good.

After doing a little research on the UG forums it turns out that people think LP's with the stock pickups are very bad for Metal and they really don't sound good. I went down to Guitar Center and played around with a Peavey tube amp and tried multiple guitars on the same metal amp setting. I tried some $2000+ Jackson and Ibanez guitars and at the same setting on the amp I couldn't tell any different between the $400 Epiphone LP.

So are LP Standard's really that bad for metal? Keep in mind that I don't ever plan on playing on stage, I just got a guitar to play along with some of my favorite Metal songs while learning chords and stuff along the way.
It should work fine. You might want to upgrade the pickups in the future though.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Itll be ok, just about, pretty muddy and you wont really get enough gain so yeh a pickup swap would vastly improve the sound
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
LP Standards are fine for metal, if you're talking about regular plain metal and you have a good, suitable amp to play through. Even with the stock pickups! Hell, Metallica have recorded albums with Gibson R8 and R9 Les Pauls with their stock pickups, and those are lower output and warmer-toned than the Epiphone stock pickups.

The negativity comes down to that first bit - plain metal and a suitable amp. Lots of people on the internet will say a guitar sucks because they're trying to get a reall extravagant tone out of a cheap starter amp, and it's a particular problem when talking about metal because there are so many different sub-genres and people get used to whichever style they listen to as being the standard. For example, an Epiphone Les Paul would not be a good choice for playing black metal; but black metal fans won't specify that, they'll just say "this guitar sucks for metal" because they don't register their obscure, more extreme style of music as not being standard.

Basically, when you're talking about playing Metallica songs though a moderately decent Peavey valve amp, yes, Epiphone Les Pauls are fine for metal. When you're talking about playing Gaahlskagg through a Vox AC15, no, Epiphone Les Pauls are not suitable.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The LPs I played were really good and the pickups were decent. You seem to like the guitar, go for it.
To respectfully paraphrase MrFlibble: You should be fine.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by MrFlibble
LP Standards are fine for metal, if you're talking about regular plain metal and you have a good, suitable amp to play through. Even with the stock pickups! Hell, Metallica have recorded albums with Gibson R8 and R9 Les Pauls with their stock pickups, and those are lower output and warmer-toned than the Epiphone stock pickups.

The negativity comes down to that first bit - plain metal and a suitable amp. Lots of people on the internet will say a guitar sucks because they're trying to get a reall extravagant tone out of a cheap starter amp, and it's a particular problem when talking about metal because there are so many different sub-genres and people get used to whichever style they listen to as being the standard. For example, an Epiphone Les Paul would not be a good choice for playing black metal; but black metal fans won't specify that, they'll just say "this guitar sucks for metal" because they don't register their obscure, more extreme style of music as not being standard.

Basically, when you're talking about playing Metallica songs though a moderately decent Peavey valve amp, yes, Epiphone Les Pauls are fine for metal. When you're talking about playing Gaahlskagg through a Vox AC15, no, Epiphone Les Pauls are not suitable.

This. The amplifier is a huge part of your guitar's tone. It can also change the way a guitar 'feels'.

Epi LP's are not the best guitars for metal as the pickups don't take high gain too well. They tend to be more voiced for blues and classic rock than high gain stuff. You can make almost any guitar a decent metal guitar provided that your amp is appropriate. But weather or not it captures what you hear in your head is a different story all together.

It wouldn't hurt to have pickups that have more clarity with high gain. But if you like how your guitar sounds, then i don't see a problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 23, 2012,
Try also Les Paul copy's of other brands, they might sound better for the price..
I've also been told that if you have a choice between a 400$ Epi or a 400$ Gibson you should go for the Gibson (that's a bit obvious though, isn't it?)
Quote by AmirT
Try also Les Paul copy's of other brands, they might sound better for the price..
I've also been told that if you have a choice between a 400$ Epi or a 400$ Gibson you should go for the Gibson (that's a bit obvious though, isn't it?)

If we're talking used, maybe. If we're talking new, hell no.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by MrFlibble

+1, pretty much

they wouldn't be my first choice, but they'll work as long as the amp is good, and you're talking relatively mainstream metal (i.e. no need for ridiculous surgical precision etc. etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble
Hell, Metallica have recorded albums with Gibson R8 and R9 Les Pauls with their stock pickups, and those are lower output and warmer-toned than the Epiphone stock pickups.
I know Kirk Hammetts lemonburst that he has used live occasionally is an original '59 not a reissue, not sure about the others they had.

Quote by MrFlibble
For example, an Epiphone Les Paul would not be a good choice for playing black metal; but black metal fans won't specify that, they'll just say "this guitar sucks for metal" because they don't register their obscure, more extreme style of music as not being standard.
Euronymous from the BM band Mayhem always used a LP standard, im not a massive fan of the BM tone at all but he seems to nail it with the LP

Theres a few metal bands these days that are starting to use more low gain vintage voiced pickups. Lamb of God come to mind, both guitarists have and i think they still do both use SD '59's and Pearly Gates in their guitars.
Last edited by Necrotise at Feb 23, 2012,