Page 1 of 2
tell him to go on ahead, youll meet him there in a few days. hahah

Waste of time. In this day and age with computers and the internet, youd have more of a chance of being a hit on youtube, i would think
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Well he want's to "make it big" it's great if you are a studio musician, or are TOTALLY lucky and find the right band. But if he cannot site read music, play like a master, and be VERY outgoing and be willing to show up to TONS of auditions, and call about EVERY opening then he would be better off forgetting about it.
It's only worked for a few famous people from what I can tell.
Unless your city's got a horrible/non existent music community, it makes no real difference. You'll get noticed wherever you are if you've got some good tunes. Besides, Cali seems to be an overcrowded pipedream to me, and with that comes a lot more local competition.
Here's the thing about Los Angeles (because I assume you're not talking about moving to other parts of the state if the goal is making it big).

The standards are really high here. Really high. I've seen free shows on Tuesday nights by bands that would be Friday-night headliners in other parts of the country. You will almost certainly have fewer gigging opportunities here than you would elsewhere, just because of the sheer number of quality bands.

And Los Angeles doesn't care. It'll chew you up and spit you out and get to work on the next hot young band. Oh, yeah, living here is REALLY expensive. (What I pay in rent for a 1-bdr apartment would get me a house in a lot of cities).

And I'm not really sure that there's a huge advantage to being here. I mean, yes, it does mean that you are slightly more likely to have someone who can make a difference wander randomly into your shows ... but only slightly.

Some musicians need to come here to find a collection of like-minded musicians to form a band with. Most, however ... aren't necessarily doing themselves any favors by coming here.

Let me put it like this:

Are you maxing out your gigging opportunities wherever you are? If you're not headlining at local (defined as: within driving distance for a saturday night - so could be 100 mile or larger radius) gigs with some regularity ... why are you going to "make it big" here? You may suddenly find you can't get gigs at all.

If you don't have AT LEAST a good demo already ... well it may well be harder to get one here. Yes, there are more young recording engineers who will help you at reasonable rates, but you'll be paying a whole heck of a lot more money to live while you try to find that guy.

In other words, come here when you're ready to play in the big leagues and you know it because you've been kicking the c**p out of the minor leagues.
I'm the friend hes talking about and I'm thinking about moving to LA in the near future, but I'm still not sure until I look further into it. Aren't there more resources around that area than there would be in most states?
Last edited by Deityx at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by HotspurJr
The standards are really high here. Really high. I've seen free shows on Tuesday nights by bands that would be Friday-night headliners in other parts of the country. You will almost certainly have fewer gigging opportunities here than you would elsewhere, just because of the sheer number of quality bands.

That's the whole idea, isn't it?

Wanna make it big? Well you're going to have to be the best, and in hearing distance of a record company. So you're going to have to compete against all other talented unsigned artists. If you're intimidated by another person because they're so much more awesome than you, then guess what? The record companies will think he's more awesome too, and he's the one who gets signed, not you.

And why should the record companies go off to some little town, or spend hours trawling the internet when the buzz for an unsigned band is going to reach them anyway? They'll want to know the band can prove themselves both live and on record, so checking out a show down the road from their office is much easier than flying someone out for the sheer purpose of seeing this specific band which may be crap.

But I also note that TS has Philadephia as his location, isn't New York (or Nashville depending on the genre of music) easier?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

But I also note that TS has Philadephia as his location, isn't New York (or Nashville depending on the genre of music) easier?

Well, I'm not the one planning to move to CA. My friend is and he's the guy who commented right before you (probably should've been more specific, sorry). And he's in NJ.
Last edited by GabuGiita at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by AlanHB

Wanna make it big? Well you're going to have to be the best, and in hearing distance of a record company. So you're going to have to compete against all other talented unsigned artists. If you're intimidated by another person because they're so much more awesome than you, then guess what? The record companies will think he's more awesome too, and he's the one who gets signed, not you.

Well, I agree with that. My point isn't that one shouldn't come here.

Rather, it's that you shouldn't come here until you're ready. Still figuring out how to put on a good show? Not tight yet? Don't have a dozen (or more) kick-ass songs?

You have more opportunity to work on that kind of thing, to get things major-league-ready, back home ... so that when you do get out here, you're ready to compete and you're ready to deliver.

The nice thing is that when you are ready, things can happen really fast here. The flip side is, if you come here before you're ready, they may not give you a second chance- venues will have already decided who you are.

So be ready first.
Sorry, but most artists that I can think of who have "made it big" are not desperately trying to do so, it comes to them.

Making it big is a shitty notion based on fantasies.

LA has plenty of opportunities to work in the industry, just not the "big" one.

Hotspur, do you live in LA? I am finishing up school and planning on getting started in LA with internships. I might seriously need your help...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Xiaoxi

Hotspur, do you live in LA? I am finishing up school and planning on getting started in LA with internships. I might seriously need your help...

I do. But I don't work in the music business - I work in other aspects of the entertainment industry.
Quote by HotspurJr
So be ready first.

I'll agree with that, regardless of location
Soundcloud
Quote by HotspurJr
I do. But I don't work in the music business - I work in other aspects of the entertainment industry.

Well, any little bit helps. And I've never stepped foot outside of LAX. That's the closest I've been to the west coast. Can't say I'm ecstatic to go there, and could definitely use some friends who know the city well when the time comes.

What do you work in?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
He's got a dream. You should mock him for that and call him dumb for wanting to chase it. That way you'd be doing him a favour when he makes it big he can say "I had this friend who said I was stupid for moving out here. hahaha thanks for your support, look at me now dickwad."

Or if he doesn't make it big and falls on his face you can say - "See dumbass I told you so, aren't I a clever person."
[/sarcasm]

Why don't you just be happy for your friend and support him, it's his life man don't stand in his way. Do you think if you convince him to stay he's going to be a 52 year old middle management sales exec at a 9-5 thinking man I'm glad I never even tried to chase my dream of moving west and trying to make it big as a rock star.

If he has a crack and comes back with his tail between his legs you can be a friend and pick him up by telling him at least he had the balls to follow through on something he felt was right at the time.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by 20Tigers
He's got a dream. You should mock him for that and call him dumb for wanting to chase it. That way you'd be doing him a favour when he makes it big he can say "I had this friend who said I was stupid for moving out here. hahaha thanks for your support, look at me now dickwad."

Or if he doesn't make it big and falls on his face you can say - "See dumbass I told you so, aren't I a clever person."
[/sarcasm]

Why don't you just be happy for your friend and support him, it's his life man don't stand in his way. Do you think if you convince him to stay he's going to be a 52 year old middle management sales exec at a 9-5 thinking man I'm glad I never even tried to chase my dream of moving west and trying to make it big as a rock star.

If he has a crack and comes back with his tail between his legs you can be a friend and pick him up by telling him at least he had the balls to follow through on something he felt was right at the time.

Talking about following dreams and taking a shot at it is very nice and sounds exciting and romantic... until you get a reality check.
Like Hotspur said, he's gonna need to worry about rent, a huge competition, etc, etc, etc...
And I agree with him: unless he's already milked all the opportunities he can in his current location/locations within driving distance, he might reconsider.
Does he have a good demo? Good songs? Great material? Killer chops? Can he sight read (and not just be able to read notes, but to understand how to interpret a piece on sight)? If he has all of that, going to LA might be a good move, other than that, he might just waste time and money.

P.S.: I never did go to LA or anything, but I did do the "chasing your dream" thing. It's pretty great until you realize you gotta pay the bills and buy food every month though
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Yeah i know what you're saying. Rent, food, competition, reality is all over the place man. You can't spend all day being scared of it. Grab life by the balls and make some mistakes. Go to NY go to LA if that's your dream. Don't be afraid to fail. But when it's your friends dream you can make sure they think about the practicalities of it but if you're going to tell him he's dumb and be unsupportive maybe you're not such a good friend after all.

I had friends and brothers move halfway around the world to big cities because they wanted to. they had no family no friends no job no place to stay when they got there just a dream of going. They made their dreams a reality. None of their friends or family every told them they were dumb for doing it and not a single one that went ever regretted it. Some fo them came back after several years but they loved that they went. Other's are still there and are never coming back some make a ton of money, some live in a flat with six other people and sleep on the floor but still love their life.

People do it all the time. Most of them don't make it big but a few of them do. Are you the kind of friend that's "just being realistic man you're not going to make it". Or the kind that says, "That's awesome bro go and show those LA tossers what Rock'n'Roll is really all about."

I know all about reality man i got reality on my dinner plate everyday. That's WHY I say "**** it" you only get one life and one youth - live the dream and go for it.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 24, 2012,
I'm neither of those you mentioned

I'm the friend who says "If you wanna do it, go for it, but be as prepared as you can".

It's much easier to work on stuff like technique, sight reading, making good songs, getting a good demo somewhere you can be helped by friends and family, then in a city where you don't know anybody and where you'll find thousands of people trying to do the same thing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
sorry i didn't mean you personally. I was more pissed off at the ts saying he thinks his friend is dumb for thinking about doing it.

and if there are thousands of people all trying to do the same thing you should be able to find some really good likeminded musicians to make music with. like Jim Morrison did who then spent untold hours every week playing night after night in clubs honing their craft or Axl Rose who went out from Indiana and slept on couches of people he met there or Bob Dylan when he went to NY at 18 or 19 with no friends no money no place to sleep. he perfected his chops in NY playing night after night after night got in with the local crowd and made it happen. Sure for everyone that made it there are a hundred thousand that failed but if it were easy no one would be too scared to go.

It's a time honoured tradition for a musician to go to the big city and work doggedly to make it or break it. None of the people that did make it sat around and thought no I'll give it one more year here to hone my skill a bit more, or well I can't quite site read well enough yet maybe I'll go next year when I've saved some more money. They were too busy getting out there and getting shit done.
Si
*sighs* still thinking about the make it big outdated scheme?
times have changed:

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?30,767183,767183
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
*sighs* still thinking about the make it big outdated scheme?
times have changed:

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?30,767183,767183

Exactly... Labels and record companies nowadays don't work the same as they did... You need a large, consistent fanbase before getting noticed, you need to have some great material already prepared. My point with technique and sight reading is that if one has those things, he/she has a greater possibility of getting gigs/jobs/recordings, in different areas, different styles, be it as a session musician, playing gigs at night or idk, playing in plays, composing, etc.

If you go out there only ready to rock out, your chances are slim. The market is much, much more professional than it was, and it wasn't easy back then.

Also, Jim Morrison did not go to LA for the music, he went to study at UCLA.

@Slashiepie: the link you posted has some very good info
Quote by Xiaoxi
sure...come on out here...we need more musicians wanting to be the next big thing...

ok..you may not make it..BUT...you will learn..about your dreams..about people..about money..about survival..about politics (the entertainment biz is nothing but--yes it is who you know)..you may even learn about music..though that seems to be the last thing this town wants or needs..talent is a term used on a sliding scale..it depends on who says it and who hears it..

over the 30+ years i have lived and worked here..the reality is far more exciting than the dream..have met and played with some name players (12 yrs studio work) yes its work..
i didnt come here to be a star or any of that..but "luck" if you will..being in the right place at the right time..meeting people..hanging out in clubs..bars..getting to know musicians and build a network of names..and some true friends..

these days i teach..do some studio work..demos mostly..still study/ practice 20+ hrs a week..and help a software company stay on top of the water..

be strong...you'll have to be..

wolf

the main thing: KNOW YOUR LIMITS...dont say you can do things you cant..(there is a VERY long line of those folks out here)..
Quote by 20Tigers
sorry i didn't mean you personally. I was more pissed off at the ts saying he thinks his friend is dumb for thinking about doing it.

I didn't call him dumb, I said I thought the idea was dumb. It's just my opinion, don't be pissed about it. Everyone has their own and that's why I'm asking about it: to help him. I'm a big fan of this reality thing, anyway.

Being blunt (and not being rude): he's a vocalist and has SOME experience (like his choir) but hasn't been in any bands/gigs. His music theory knowledge is minimum but can read sheet music (albeit slowly, not fluently). He hasn't written any songs and his only other instrument is piano (once again, he's a beginner at it). I know this doesn't mean that he CAN'T make it big, but it's just the fact that so many people had the same exact ideas when trying to make it big, and it rarely went according to plan.

As far as me not letting him go to CA, I have no right to stop him and he can if he wants. I'm just trying to lower his expectations so he's not as disappointed if it doesn't happen. I hope I'm not coming off as a giant douchebag who's out to destroy dreams. I just don't believe diving head-on into your dreams is very logical if you don't consider the cons.
Last edited by GabuGiita at Feb 24, 2012,
I had the same thought as you for getting "Big" with a band till I saw what happened to a friend. He thought he was the big shit because my area is a bit rare for musicians. Moved out to LA, in two weeks he had to give up all his equipment, couldn't pay for rent or food, and ended up overcharging his credit card. He was a bum for 3 weeks trying to get back home where luckily his parents toke him back. He now has a stable job and no equipment.

If you are going to do it, get a plan ready at least. Find a job there to pay for rent. Cut charges as much as you can, like walking to work, gigs, and so on or taking public transportation. Get a small practice amp with headphones because apartments hate noise. Abide by the law, and watch people because certain characters have sneaky hands.

I would suggest getting established in your area. Record companies and labels will notice that first In today's time. You really want to get picked up by an indie label that markets your material in the US, Japan, Europe and etc. because Big labels just don't usual pick up new acts. They get established bands because they can market them quicker and make more $$.

The Music Industry is that, an industry and it wants to profit. You start small and grow just as anything else. Just be careful on what indie record or big record you sign to, they are tricky with their wordings. The best advice is once you are about to get signed; Get a lawyer.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by Xter
I had the same thought as you for getting "Big" with a band till I saw what happened to a friend. He thought he was the big shit because my area is a bit rare for musicians. Moved out to LA, in two weeks he had to give up all his equipment, couldn't pay for rent or food, and ended up overcharging his credit card. He was a bum for 3 weeks trying to get back home where luckily his parents toke him back. He now has a stable job and no equipment.

If you are going to do it, get a plan ready at least. Find a job there to pay for rent. Cut charges as much as you can, like walking to work, gigs, and so on or taking public transportation.

This was pretty much my point. There is nothing wrong with pursuing a dream, in fact it is an admirable thing to do. However, not being as prepared as you can to do it is indeed dumb.

And btw, I'm not saying that the friend of the TS is dumb or anything (as I don't know if he is prepared or not, or how skilled he is). Just advocating that he should be as prepared as possible. If what the TS said about him never having been in a band is true, than moving to CA hardly seems like a good idea. He should have quite some experience with music, IMHO, such as being in bands, recording, songwriting.
Quote by Xiaoxi
One thing no one's mentioned is that the OP's friend is from NJ, and is moving to California. Derp? No, wait. Lemme explain. I, too, spent the first 30 years of my life in New Jersey before moving out here to do game development.

And, one thing I found out is that the cultures are totally different. I've been here for six years and I still can't relate to people on any level whatsoever.

You're gonna feel like an alien, you're gonna wonder why you piss people off every time you open your mouth, you're just plain gonna have to deal with culture shock until you deal or bail. My current "life anthem" is Slash's "Back from Cali" - it's really how I feel about living out here... and I'm not even in LA. I hear it's worse down there.
^Man that's what I'm afraid of.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
^Man that's what I'm afraid of.

Sorry for being a little off topic, but I loved your Anatomy of a Fugue xD
Very informative yet beautiful. Er, in a non-cheesy way.

By any chance, do you attend Berklee?
Last edited by GabuGiita at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by GabuGiita
Sorry for being a little off topic, but I loved your Anatomy of a Fugue xD
Very informative yet beautiful. Er, in a non-cheesy way.

By any chance, do you attend Berklee?

Thanks. That was the plan!

And yes, I'm about to graduate.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by CarsonStevens
One thing no one's mentioned is that the OP's friend is from NJ, and is moving to California. Derp? No, wait. Lemme explain. I, too, spent the first 30 years of my life in New Jersey before moving out here to do game development.

And, one thing I found out is that the cultures are totally different. I've been here for six years and I still can't relate to people on any level whatsoever.

You're gonna feel like an alien, you're gonna wonder why you piss people off every time you open your mouth, you're just plain gonna have to deal with culture shock until you deal or bail. My current "life anthem" is Slash's "Back from Cali" - it's really how I feel about living out here... and I'm not even in LA. I hear it's worse down there.

I feel more alienated with the people in NJ honestly. Most of my good friends came from cali so I get the gist of what people are like there. I would feel much more comfortable with the way it is over there then being in a state like jersey where everything is sparse. But like I asked before, I thought they have more resources in areas like la to get some better production value for your music, is that true?
Quote by Deityx
I thought they have more resources in areas like la to get some better production value for your music, is that true?

If you mean recording production, not at all. There are great studios across the country. If anything, it would be even more expensive in LA.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
you might want to seriously consider the kind of music you play. is there a big scene for it in California? if there isn't, you might want to consider some place that has one.

for example, there's a pretty decent underground punk scene where I live. bands from all over play in basements around here and a few have made it decently "big."

it isn't impossible, but I feel like geography is important.
If you are going to do it, get a plan ready at least. Find a job there to pay for rent. Cut charges as much as you can, like walking to work, gigs, and so on or taking public transportation. Get a small practice amp with headphones because apartments hate noise. Abide by the law, and watch people because certain characters have sneaky hands.
Quote by 20Tigers
^Isn't that plagiarism?

Well, I think calling it plagiarism is a little extreme but yeah. Way to copy and paste.
Straight plagiarism.

Also, i think the biggest thing that you have to do is to be ready to sell your soul. If you are in a band, and another band that is much more successful and is going to be signed just looses their guitarist (accident, idk it doesn't matter) and they want you, you need to be able to walk away from your band to join them and make it big. This is something that i think is hardest for most people: Being able to stab your friends in the back for your own success. Thats the entertainment business.
Quote by 20Tigers
^Isn't that plagiarism?

Quote by GabuGiita
Well, I think calling it plagiarism is a little extreme but yeah. Way to copy and paste.

Quote by macashmack
Straight plagiarism.

It's a spambot dudes, are you expecting it to apologise?
Soundcloud
Quote by snubbie
this definitely isn't about the TS's friend. its about himself.

Nope, it's about me (TS's friend).
Quote by Jearl
you might want to seriously consider the kind of music you play. is there a big scene for it in California? if there isn't, you might want to consider some place that has one.
If I'm to pursue alt rock/metal, I'd say LA isn't too bad of a place to do so, right?
Page 1 of 2