We hired a singer, and he's put vocals on a few tracks, and I thought it sounded good, but lot of the people I talk to say he's not that good.... am I just Bias? or Is he does he make our music sound as good as I think he does?

Click HERE To listen to some of our songs. Specifically, Rear View, Frostbite and Start S*** not Home Cause I did that one...and thats why we hired a different singer lol ;p
Last edited by Nrsandback at Feb 23, 2012,
I like the roughness of his voice, I think it suits the music, but he should work on pitch control cos it sounds kinda wonky. Also you might want to add some effects to his voice cos it would sound better with reverb or something. (I'm not very good with vocal effects haha)
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Last edited by troyofyort at Feb 23, 2012,
you can only progress right, I'm going to be honest here for your sake dont take it to heart, but the vocals in my opinion are a little off perhaps vocal lessons are in order? Also not everyone is going to like certain aspects of your music, that's not to say others won't. so do what you feel is best, apologies for the cliche but its true.
Yeah its a little rough, but then again all the instruments are a little rough. Some pitch control would be good, but other then that, hes really not bad at all, good tunes man
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by thesexiestofall
Yeah,his voice doesn't fit the style of the band,...he sounds "old".

How can something not "fit" a style of a band? maybe thats what they're going for, something new something different... an open mind is required in music.
Thanks everyone for the input! I think y'all are right, there's definitely room for improvement, but just like the rest of the band, we have all gotten much better over time, im sure he will as well, and we all like his sound so we'll keep on drivin with it. thanks again!
I'm gonna say something other people didn't mention... I only listened to a bit of "Frostbite" but to me, he sounds like he's "phoning it in". Like, he's too bored and/or afraid to really belt it out. His rhythm is a tad off in a few places, too, like he's reading from a lyrics sheet for a song he's never heard before.

Still, I wouldn't say he sounds bad. I like his voice, and yes, I think some practice would do him good.
Carson you nailed it, the funny part is you hit the nail on the head, the way we've been doing recordings, since we only get together twice a week, and life happens, so that doesn't always even happen, but The Rhythm Guitarist is my roomate, so we will usually come up with a song idea, write lyrics to it, put it on tracks, and send it to our singer, and he puts a vocals track on the song the next practice (like u said, reading from a lyrics sheet)...so maybe we need to revamp how we're record... Probably run through the song a few times per practice before he puts the vocals on.... seems obvious but I hadn't thought of that.

one of our biggest issues however, is we're a garage band, so everything is located in my garage, so when we have the full band playing a song, we can't hear the singer (cause of the drums) so we may have to either put on practice pads, or maybe get a sound wall or something for the drummer so we can all practice our songs...

Either that, or we have to upgrade alot of our equipment so we can have monitors...but funding is pretty tight with all of us so that can't happen just yet...

Thanks again for the input! I think that might change a lot of things for the better
Quote by Nrsandback
maybe we need to revamp how we're record... Probably run through the song a few times per practice before he puts the vocals on.... seems obvious but I hadn't thought of that.

I would say, definitely. I never record anything until I've been playing it nearly flawlessly, backwards and forwards, for quite some time. The way I see it, you have forever to get it right, and that's what people are going to hear. You can't be standing over their shoulder going "oh, I know it's not that great, we don't rehearse", or "I know the tone is awful, I have a Spider III". People aren't going to say "oh, that band is really good, in spite of their gear" - they're going to say "that band sounds like a cat caught in a garbage disposal".

...not that I think you guys sound that way. I think you're pretty good, actually. I'm just saying. I was just reading in another thread where a guy was like, "yes, I know our EP sucks, I have no idea what I'm doing", and I was like, "and you expect to get people to give you money for that?"

In short, I'd say rehearse more, and don't record your rehearsals. Record performances, even if the only difference is your mindset. I record in my flippin' bedroom, fer Chrissake, but I approach every track as though I were in a studio and there was an A&R guy from Time-Warner waiting in the wings. If I'm not happy with it, it doesn't go out.
I like the rawness in his voice. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a bit wonky. I think the mixing might be a bit at fault, the voice is sticking out compared to the rest of the guitar...maybe add some effect to his voice or turn up the guitar?

Music is sounding good though!

Could maybe crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29200253#post29200253
Reminds me of Scott Stapp at parts
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
I mean your not really gonna make it anywhere with him. Guitar aint bad, same with drums
Quote by thedefrockednun
I like the rawness in his voice. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a bit wonky. I think the mixing might be a bit at fault, the voice is sticking out compared to the rest of the guitar...maybe add some effect to his voice or turn up the guitar?

Music is sounding good though!

Could maybe crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29200253#post29200253

Thanks! I'll definitely crit yours as well, (at lunch right now and work computers block mysapce, lol)as soon as I get home.

Thanks again all for the input!
We have practice again tonight so I will adress our requirement ot change how we practice and record.
it's hard to judge with the levels being different in the track to his vocal. Best way to find out is to record a jam with you mic'd up and see how the vibe clicks. He maybe just missing the flow because his energy is recorded away from the bands energy......s**t I sound like a hippy.
the guy sounds fine to me and he'l get better the more you folks work together.

crit here plz.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522523