Hey everyone, I've got myself here a cheap Tanglewood stratocaster which my dad bought from a charity shop for £15.00 and he loaned me it indefinatly. Now the thing is... It's his birthday coming up (in the next couple of weeks)

So I figured that seeing as my dad has been so good to me over the past eighteen years that I've been alive. I mean, he bought me my first guitar and helped me out to purchase all the guitars I've had since and helped me out a lot with other little things too.

So I figured, why not upgrade this guitar and make it playable again and give it back to him as a suprise. I can spend up to £50-70 on parts and that would be alright, I just need to buy Tuners, bridge, the plasticy bit on the pickup selector and possibly new pickups too. I maybe able to get slightly more than that but I've got no idea where I should be looking for bits, and I've not really got any knowledge on bits for Stratocasters. So I thought why not ask here...

Thanks alot you guys.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
check out guitarfetish.com they have some cheap, but good quality parts
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Quote by mrsixstrings12
check out guitarfetish.com they have some cheap, but good quality parts

Are they in the uk?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I don't know how bad everything else is, but the best bang for the buck upgrade on my Squier Strat was Fender Schaller locking tuners. Don't know how much they cost over there, but across the pond, Guitar Center sells them for $65 US.
Just looked at the prices of them they range from £50-65 which is pretty much all my budget....

Are Wilkinsons tuners any good?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Just looked at the prices of them they range from £50-65 which is pretty much all my budget....

Are Wilkinsons tuners any good?

I dunno; good reputation, but I don't have personal experience with them. The tuners are what made my Squier as good or better (playability) than my MIA Strat. I haven't had to tune it in the last 4 weeks even though I've done 3 shows with it. Just have to snap the trem when I take it out of the case and it's good to go. Hasn't lost a cent.
Check out Axetec.co.uk they'll have most things for a good price of reasonable quality
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
All of that looks a little tricky for me to understand,

is every bit for a stratocaster universal?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Viban
snap the trem?

Yeah, push down on it, easing tension on the strings, then letting it slip past your fingers so it snaps back into the normal position.

That unbinds any coils stuck in the nut or saddle and brings it back to tune after whammy use, temperature cycles, or getting jostled around in transit.

It also helps to lubricate the nut slots and the sadles with graphite grease (not pencil lead).
Quote by Fisheth24
All of that looks a little tricky for me to understand,

is every bit for a stratocaster universal?

no, but there's nothing you can't work out with a little thought and a ruler.

The Tuning Machines will basically be universal.

If you upgrade the bridge you will need to measure it to make sure, but it's not difficult - look for one that looks similar and check the measurement written on the product details with the spacing from one side to the other on the fixing (depending on if it's 6 hole or 2 pin)

Nut will need measuring if you upgrade, but it's most likely 42mm and you'll be able to see which one it looks like. NOTE: the nut may need filing down to size so skip it if you're not confident.

The pickups will be universal providing you get the correct sizes for the ones you already have. If you get them from axetec they will push your budget a little but they are as good as SDs and Dimarzios even with the low price.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
no, but there's nothing you can't work out with a little thought and a ruler.

The Tuning Machines will basically be universal.

If you upgrade the bridge you will need to measure it to make sure, but it's not difficult - look for one that looks similar and check the measurement written on the product details with the spacing from one side to the other on the fixing (depending on if it's 6 hole or 2 pin)

Nut will need measuring if you upgrade, but it's most likely 42mm and you'll be able to see which one it looks like. NOTE: the nut may need filing down to size so skip it if you're not confident.

The pickups will be universal providing you get the correct sizes for the ones you already have. If you get them from axetec they will push your budget a little but they are as good as SDs and Dimarzios even with the low price.

I think I'm understanding. What do you mean by depending on if it's a 6 hole or a 2 pin? Is that how many saddles it's got?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
6 hole:

2 Pin:

on the 2 pin the distance is between the center of each pin, on the 6 hole the distance is between the center of the holes at either end
Ibanez WD7 Wah
It's a six pin. So providing the bridge matches the 6 pin it will just fit straight on? or is there more to it than that?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100