Hey guys.

Please lemme know what you think of my new song, Out of the Blue. Finally uploaded a quick acoustic version with vocals (first time ever!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPFCrHL9zg&context=C3bcfe8dADOEgsToPDskK5MFygG3apHemBBcaoSnhZ

If you have time, please also check out the non-acoustic (vocal-less) version of 'Out of the Blue' on my myspace. Also check out 'Suburban Curse' if you can.

cheers!

http://www.myspace.com/ferdisoloproject
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Feb 26, 2012,
Hey dude, Listened to "Out of the Blue", I really dig the part that starts at around :45 and then when the piano comes in, sounds good! Don't know how you recorded this but the drums dont sound too bad (Is it a drum machine?), and I think the song would fit some nice ballad-y vocals real well! "Suburban Curse" was nice too, at first it reminded me a bit of some Chili Peppers song, but yeah I dig the chords you used.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519446
Quote by devilzdj4
Hey dude, Listened to "Out of the Blue", I really dig the part that starts at around :45 and then when the piano comes in, sounds good! Don't know how you recorded this but the drums dont sound too bad (Is it a drum machine?), and I think the song would fit some nice ballad-y vocals real well! "Suburban Curse" was nice too, at first it reminded me a bit of some Chili Peppers song, but yeah I dig the chords you used.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519446

Cheers man! The drums are just loops from Garageband....

Suburban Curse was actually written with chilis in mind :P

PS: Returned the favour!
I'll take you up on critiquing. Out of the blue. Definitely enjoyed the feel of it, and i prefered the parts after the piano part came in. I feel like it really found its place around there. Theres a bit of off time, and things hitting at weird times, I dont know if thats intentional, but it sounded a little off to me.

Suburban Curse was my favourite of the two, I loved that chilis vibe it had to it. Interesting chord changes, real good stuff mate

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522123
Out of the blue is really nice, but it's let down a little by some timing issues. Still, really good melodies and the recording quality is pretty good. It'll sound awesome with vocals.
Suburban Curse reminds me a little of Gaslight Anthem, especially the lead guitar part, which is a compliment. Again, there's some problems with timing, but they're much less obvious on this one. Not sure what happened towards the end with the mix, but the drums seemed to drop pretty severely. Still, both really well-written songs, well done
Any crit on the songs in my sig would be awesome
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Out of the blue is really nice, but it's let down a little by some timing issues. Still, really good melodies and the recording quality is pretty good. It'll sound awesome with vocals.
Suburban Curse reminds me a little of Gaslight Anthem, especially the lead guitar part, which is a compliment. Again, there's some problems with timing, but they're much less obvious on this one. Not sure what happened towards the end with the mix, but the drums seemed to drop pretty severely. Still, both really well-written songs, well done
Any crit on the songs in my sig would be awesome

Melody to Bulldozers was awesome! Really liked the vocals too...reminded me a bit fo the Madness for some reason.

I really liked Don't Fall Behind. Pretty sweet chords. The quality was a bit dodgy a the beginning but was fine afterwards. Nice flogging molly style, i dig it!
I love the transition to open chord strumming from the intro. Your voice sounds good for slower songs like you write. You should try looking into getting an actual drummer though haha. But very good guitar harmonies.
Quote by thedefrockednun
Melody to Bulldozers was awesome! Really liked the vocals too...reminded me a bit fo the Madness for some reason.

I really liked Don't Fall Behind. Pretty sweet chords. The quality was a bit dodgy a the beginning but was fine afterwards. Nice flogging molly style, i dig it!

Cheers man, much appreciated
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I like it mate, very melodic. And you have a good voice too, keep it up!
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco Sunburst
Laney VC-15
Thanks for the feedback.

Really good man, the first few seconds remind me of Under the Bridge by the Chilli Peppers, but apart from that i really like the song. The lyrics are well written and you have a good voice, keep it up man!
Quote by crushingmetal
Thanks for the feedback.

Really good man, the first few seconds remind me of Under the Bridge by the Chilli Peppers, but apart from that i really like the song. The lyrics are well written and you have a good voice, keep it up man!

Thanks man!

First time I've heard someone relate the intro to Under the Bridge. I guess you're right though :P
Hey thanks for commenting!

Your song's got a nice feeling to it and cool kicking rhythm in the intro. I was expecting something completely else (death metal! ) and even after the first notes I thought "oh one of these again), but you give the style a nice twist. Good chord choises tho were it my song I'd probably think of maybe one with a little more character somewhere in the middle there. Now they're all kinda airy fairy. Doesn't sound bad!! Not at all. Just take a risk and kick like a straight Major chord there or something. Makes it memorable.

That's my 2 cents. Good work!
Thanks for the crit on mine... I enjoyed 'Out of the blue', and I pretty much agree with the previous crits. I particularly liked the warmth of the opening guitar and how the song progressed generally. The beats gave the song energy but didn't ruin the mellow feel, though as previously said timing did slightly knock this section at one point. The piano melody complemented the guitar well though I didn't think the slight pitch bends at the end of a couple of the bars were necessary, maybe that was just me.

But overall a solid song, would really be great with those vocals sung over with strength and confidence.
Gear:
ESP: LTD H401-FM
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-20 Studio Combo
Digitech RP500, Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack

Check out the Soundcloud of my band CENTURION - based in South London and currently looking for a singer + bassist!
I really like this. ive always been a fan of anything played on an acoustic lol. Great singing too. If i had a myspace, i wouldve definitley watched the non acoustic version to... by the way, what does F.V.G stand for?
Oh hey, I didn't see you there
Quote by crazycory94
I really like this. ive always been a fan of anything played on an acoustic lol. Great singing too. If i had a myspace, i wouldve definitley watched the non acoustic version to... by the way, what does F.V.G stand for?

Those are my initials :P

EDIT: Also, thanks to all of you for the crits!
1:33-1:46 or so... great use of lyrical rhythm to go along with the melody...keep up the singing,,,tiny bit shaky, but live and acoustic bodes well for a heartfelt song even with a few inconsistencies..... very pretty to the ears. I'd love to hear it covered full-band style actually, with some atmospherics and maybe a cello :P Great job!
Sounds pretty good, you used my favorite tonal progression so I already like it! I would vary the progression at some point to make say, a bridge or something just so the listener doesn't get tired of the same chords however. I'd also bring the vocals in a bit earlier, I almost thought it was going to be an instrumental. Your voice is solid! I'd try to sing out a bit more but it's fine the way it is.

I can't really comment on lyrics, I never am able to listen to them in any sort of objective way.

Good job!
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
nun,
Thanks for the reviews! Now your tunes: "Out of the Blue (with vocals)": towards the beginning I wish the guitar would ring out/sustain a bit more. Playing is pretty good. Parts of the song (more during the singing) remind me a bit of Neil Young (a compliment). Singing is pretty good, vocal melody is good. Audio quality is fairly good for a youtube live video. 'Surburban Curse': audio quality is better on this one (good). Some vocals wouldn't hurt. Most of the playing is good, though once in awhile could be tighter. The song itself is pleasant. I think I heard an edit point at ~2:10. Nice songs.
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Feb 27, 2012,
I liked it a lot. your guitar playing was really good and I liked that it wasn't just a traditional pop song structure. your voice went with the song really well, keep singing its a blast to do!
listened to out of the bleu.
Personally i would have let the drums come in a bit later.
The tone of the guitar also needs abit improving imo.
Some parts need a better timing.
Didn't really like it when the beat suddenly went faster.
It's a bit sudden imo

Overall the composition idea is nice, but the performance needs work
i really enjoyed the intro, when the vocals came in it was perfectly suited.
this is a very good song, well done man

Also, enjoyed the lyrics
I really like what you did with the piano in Out of the Blue, it was a little high in the mix for my taste, and it did seem out of time, but the note choices brought out the best in the chords, which sounded great, allowing a melancholy, yet hopeful feel to manifest. The version with with vocals sounded good as well, it'd be great to hear a version with both the production value of the myspace version and the vocals over the top, I look forward to hearing it.

Also, FVG seems to be the most unusual, yet incredible initials I've seen since EVH. I ****ing love letters.

I'm really glad you liked my song as well, and you mentioned you added it to your favourites? You can download it for free via my band's facebook if you wanted to, the link's in my sig
Hey man, cheers for the crit on my song,

I actually really liked this, the chord progression in the intro was really good 0:24 - 0:44 stood out in particular.
Decent voice, felt like you did a good job and showed passion in what you were doing.
Got a lot of potential in your voice. There are timing issues, but it's a good song with great lyrics. It's loose as is right now, but could use some more polishing it up. Cool vocal melodies. Very nice feeling throughout the entire song. I like it.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523148
Hey man, sorry for the late crit!

This is a really sweet, if not simple, acoustic song. I really like the arpeggio's of the intro, although I feel the vocals come in far too late. Similarly, the chord progression is neat, but to refrain from it becoming tedious I'd look at introducing some new parts whereby you can alter the chord sequence you adopt. I really like your vocal style and lyrics though dude!

Overall, this is a solid song, and with some proper production and a slightly adapted structure could be taken to the next level
Watched the video of you playing the acoustic guitar. It's nice and melodic, wondering if maybe it'd suit finger picking rather than using a plectrum. Or try loosening up a little where you can play the strings not so sharp. At 0:42 it reminds me of Knocking on Heavens Door :P It's a sweet song and your singing suits the feeling. Good stuff!
Thanks for your crit, man! Sorry for taking so long to get back to you :p

Anyway, I like "Out of the Blue"! I think you have a really cool, laid back vocal style and it seems like it. The lyrics are cool too, and I really like the shift you do around 1:55. I think this will be an excellent song when you do a full-out recording of it with vocals
I've listened to that acoustic version and I must tell you that acoustic ballads is not my favourite kind of music, but it was really good. I really enjoyed it. I found purity in it. Your voice is not bad too I thumbed it up on youtube months ago, but didn't have a time to write something here. Keep it up Nun!