There are basic chord progressions that everyone uses.
The big ones being
I IV I
I V I
I IV V I
I vi IV V I
I vi ii V I

Mostly everything is based off of these progressions.

So what I'm saying is that these "stars" don't pull it out of their ass. People who improvise chord structures or just start playing something that sounds coherent and composed off the bat have a good understand of how basic chord progressions work and can apply it on the spot.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by King Of Suede
There are basic chord progressions that everyone uses.
The big ones being
I IV I
I V I
I IV V I
I vi IV V I
I vi ii V I

Mostly everything is based off of these progressions.

So what I'm saying is that these "stars" don't pull it out of their ass. People who improvise chord structures or just start playing something that sounds coherent and composed off the bat have a good understand of how basic chord progressions work and can apply it on the spot.

This guy has life figured out
The numerals (I IV V) come from the music alphabet. Therefore, if you start with a, a is I, D is IV, and E would be V. The only way to find amazing ones would be trial and error. Not all of them will work.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
Quote by IbanezMan989
Im trying to find out what they are doing? from what i knew it was I IV V and other variations. here is a example of guys that come up with stuff i just cant to off the bat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Qs8-BkiLw

What do you guys think?

There's nothing that complicated about the chord progression in that song.

I'd wager, in fact, that the melody came first, and that the chord progression came from rather straightforward rules about how you harmonize a melody given a key center and desired tonality.

How experienced are you? How's your ear?
^^
yeah, most of the song is i - VII - V7, if I'm not mistaken
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by DrakeTheOne
The numerals (I IV V) come from the music alphabet. Therefore, if you start with a, a is I, D is IV, and E would be V. The only way to find amazing ones would be trial and error. Not all of them will work.

Hardly trial and error. If you understand tension and release and can employ special chords such as fully diminished 7's, augmented triads, Neopolitan chords, Italian/French/German augmented 6th chords... Then those "amazing" ones make a lot more sense and aren't such a mystery.

and Lptube: Was that sarcasm? =/
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
King of Suede gets it. Basically, an understanding of functional harmony goes a long way to being able to come up with your own "chord progressions" that make sense to the ear and flow well. A lot of it will boil down to variations of the same formulas, even when it ends up creating something a bit unique.

Having a developed sense of *melody* and being able to think counterpointally also changes everything - you can potentially improvize what sounds like very involved "chord progressions" just by moving voices around melodically. That's something that comes with developing one's ear.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by King Of Suede
Hardly trial and error. If you understand tension and release and can employ special chords such as fully diminished 7's, augmented triads, Neopolitan chords, Italian/French/German augmented 6th chords... Then those "amazing" ones make a lot more sense and aren't such a mystery.

and Lptube: Was that sarcasm? =/

Yea sorry if you couldn't tell
They don't they pull something out from their "big bag oh standard chord progressions" and play it in any given key.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
They don't they pull something out from their "big bag oh standard chord progressions" and play it in any given key.

No, not really, either.

Not the good songwriters.

Here's the thing:

If you understand how to think in music you can know what a chord progression will sound like before you play it.

It's like having a conversation. You don't just reach into you "big bag of standard sentences" - you know what you want to say and the words just come out of you. If you understand the language of music then it's not so hard to do something similar.
Quote by IbanezMan989
What do you guys think?

I think a lot of it is about melody and rhythm. You could have the same chord progression, in a entirely different harmonic rhythm, or time signature, or tempo, and then the melody, which is what makes a song unique.