I need to take this Epiphone LP in and get it set up properly. I know how to do this but I'm lazy as shit. In 22 years of playing I've never bothered with this because my guitars have always been junk, but this one (although I got it as a blem and it's a blem and a half) seems worth it to me.

How much should I expect to pay to get it set up?

I figure it'll need bridge and truss rod adjustments and some fret work (I doubt any need replacing, just refined).

Also, there's a pit or two on the fretboard that I would like gone. Can that be done well enough to where whatever it's filled with won't end up coming out in 6 months? It has an ebony fretboard.

There are 2 music stores in this town and they've both tried to screw me before so that's why I'm asking ahead of time (and why I buy all my gear online).

Thanks

P.S. If this is in the wrong area, sorry
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Largely depends on the shop, but honestly your best bet is going to be doing it yourself. I say this because I too am incredibly lazy, but after an experience with being charged $45 dollars just to restring a guitar (I dropped it off at the shop in the afternoon before a gig so I could go do some other things like eat before the show), I started to realize that most shops are going to screw you pretty badly and it's generally best to not pay other people to do things you could do yourself.
Well that doesn't sound promising...
Fret Dress + setup is around $165 here in Sydney at my local guitar shop.

yeah, waste of money paying to get strings changed, they charge you for the strings and their time too which is why its around $40.
---
I guess I should have said this, but the fretwork part I know nothing about. Wouldn't getting that done automatically come with a setup? Also, they are accessory gougers around here ($4.50 online, $7.50 local, pfff) so I'd be providing the strings.

P.S. Is that $165 in Aussie dollars?

Edit: Oh nevermind, I guess USD is slightly higher anyway, I thought it was lower.
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Feb 23, 2012,
A local shop set up mine for $10 but that was for bridge and truss rod adjustment, they didnt touch the fret board.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
A local shop set up mine for $10 but that was for bridge and truss rod adjustment, they didnt touch the fret board.

That's the exception.

I paid about $35 for a truss rod adjustment + intonation (Ibanez Lo-Pro FR) for my Ibanez here in Singapore.

On a side note: If you had a guitar teacher, and he knows what he's doing, they'd usually do it for free for you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
On a side note: If you had a guitar teacher, and he knows what he's doing, they'd usually do it for free for you.

Oh that could be good. I'm about to start taking lessons. I'll be sure to ask about it.
Quote by Prime2515102
Oh that could be good. I'm about to start taking lessons. I'll be sure to ask about it.

i do that for students after the lesson free. most have Squier strats, one with an EPI LP, i just tweaked for five minutes and got it playing a lot better for them. it also further establish the relationship, as well as making their guitar easy to play, and we all know the easier the way it plays the more you want to play it. they play guitar more, stick to guitar better make more lessons and more money in my pocket.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well I decided (since I was going to get it done by somebody else anyway) to screw with this. I can't even BELIEVE I've been playing this guitar like it was! I lowered the strings until they buzzed at every fret, turned the truss rod about a 1/4 turn then raised the strings ever so slightly. Didn't even do any measurements or anything and the thing plays like butter!

I can actually do finger tapping now. I just assumed I was a moron before 'cause it just wasn't happenin'. I swear to god the strings start to play themselves before I even hit them! lmao

Apparently I've never played a well setup guitar before. I really need to leave my house more often...
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by Robfreitag
Fret Dress + setup is around $165 here in Sydney at my local guitar shop.

yeah, waste of money paying to get strings changed, they charge you for the strings and their time too which is why its around $40.

Yeah, something like that. I had my '00 Am Std Tele in for a PLEK setup in last July and although it didn't feel incredible straight away... when I picked up my new Am Deluxe Strat a few months later - I'll be getting that plek'd sometime this year.