Page 1 of 2
How is there not a thread for this already???
I did searchbar it.

So this here thread is for discussing what is arguable the greatest series of general media (books and films) of all time.

And also The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

Personally I have always been of the opinion that Gondor is a better place than Rohan.
OH HELL YES METALCORE
One does not simply start LOTR threads!
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
They're favorite books of all time!!!
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by EyeForgot
So this here thread is for discussing what is arguable the greatest series of general media (books and films) of all time.
While Tolkien's work is quite an epic, I find the Wheel of Time series to be more of an epic. WoT is not only longer but also covers the conflicts in the series in a grander way. Tolkien always had this way of switching between characters too often, imho.

And note that I'm actually the word "epic" correctly. Just saying.
Quote by shavorules42
One does not simply start LOTR threads!

One does not simply reject the idea of starting another LOTR thread if there is no thread in place.

The movies were fantastic but I am finding it hard to get through the books. I started with the Two Towers and cannot get past the part with the ents without getting bored.
LOTR is three movies about walking. Hell even the trees walked in those movies.

there's only one return, and it's of the Jedi, not the king.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I really like when Dumbledore was like "You shall not pass" to that fire guy. That was pretty cool
Quote by devourke
I really like when Dumbledore was like "You shall not pass" to that fire guy. That was pretty cool

Yea, but I'm sure Dumbledore was all like "Not pass, you shall."
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, but I'm sure Dumbledore was all like "Not pass, you shall."

The best was when Dumbledore came back as the pope and suddenly the trolls started trying to fight Aero Bar and his army but Dumbledore and his trees said NO WAY.
Oh and when Dildo Faggins returns.
I like the part where Daenerys Targaryen returns to reclaim her rightful throne.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
doing a lotr marathon tomorrow with my buddies, watching all three extended editions.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Reading two towers atm for the second time
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
LOTR is awesome. I've read the books a ludicrous number of times. I actually prefer Tolkien's writing style in The Hobbit to LOTR, but it doesn't hold a candle to LOTR in terms of overall effectiveness.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Hi Randal.
2/10
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thrasher51
LOTR is awesome. I've read the books a ludicrous number of times. I actually prefer Tolkien's writing style in The Hobbit to LOTR, but it doesn't hold a candle to LOTR in terms of overall effectiveness.

What specifically do you like about the hobbit's writing style?
Quote by travs2448

Hopefully none

WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by matt360
doing a lotr marathon tomorrow with my buddies, watching all three extended editions.

Recently did that with my brothers. The movies are so long, but soooo good.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'm about 35 pages into The FellowShip of The Ring. Just after Bilbo leaves. There better not be any spoilers in this thread.

By the way, whats up with that Free Trowzaa thing?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Last edited by Dr Sixstring at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
What specifically do you like about the hobbit's writing style?

There's something a bit more direct about it, rather than in LOTR where he seams to meander constantly around what he's trying to say in a way that works for the story being told but isn't my favorite to read. That said, I wouldn't like LOTR to be the same way.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Dr Sixstring
I'm about 35 pages into The FellowShip of The Ring. Just after Bilbo leaves. There better not be any spoilers in this thread.

Spoiler: They do simply just walk into Mordor.

Oh and Snape kills Dumbledore.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Dr Sixstring

Wait. When Bilbo leaves? So was this before or after Samwise gets an enema?
The only book I actually enjoyed reading was The Hobbit.

Love all three of the movies, though. I'll get around to watching the extended additions one of these days.
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Thrasher51
There's something a bit more direct about it, rather than in LOTR where he seams to meander constantly around what he's trying to say in a way that works for the story being told but isn't my favorite to read. That said, I wouldn't like LOTR to be the same way.

Yeah, I also enjoy the Hobbit writing style, but as you said, I like that it was different in LOTR, to me it would just seem .....weird... if it was written in that style. But all that being said, I enjoy lotr much more than the Hobbit, with content being taken into account.
Quote by travs2448

Hopefully none

WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

The fact that nobody else picked up on this makes me sad.

"Say what you will about Jesus, but leave the Rings alone."
SHOOOOOPS
...is my MUSIC as good as muh shoops?

Quote by sglover34479
You know life isn't fair when people like HB are stuck posting on a guitar forum instead of rolling in bitches and cash.
Quote by Haunted Boy
The fact that nobody else picked up on this makes me sad.

"Say what you will about Jesus, but leave the Rings alone."

I got the reference. Just think it's the worst joke in the entire movie. The walking part, anyways.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I got the reference. Just think it's the worst joke in the entire movie. The walking part, anyways.

Is it because you're taking offense as a LOTR fanboy?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

QFT.

I read Fellowship and watched the movies for school. Probably won't ever watch them again unless there is alcohol/weed involved.

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Probably cause you're a fan boy. That sequence is probably my favourite from Clerks II.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
What's with the black guys and calling me a fanboy?
I'M A FANBOY I ADMIT IT

It's okay Pagan

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I read one time that Tolkien was actually a full time linguist, that he only wrote LOTR as a vehicle for his made-up languages, and that literary critics were unimpressed when the books came out. I think the whole thing is kind of overrated, but I loved The Hobbit.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
Quote by mesopatamius
I read one time that Tolkien was actually a full time linguist, that he only wrote LOTR as a vehicle for his made-up languages, and that literary critics were unimpressed when the books came out. I think the whole thing is kind of overrated, but I loved The Hobbit.

His publishers actually wanted a sequel to The Hobbit, so he started writing The Lord of the Rings after The Hobbit's success. He actually continued writing it as a story for his son while he was away serving in the RAF during World War 2.
Quote by Tonganation
His publishers actually wanted a sequel to The Hobbit, so he started writing The Lord of the Rings after The Hobbit's success. He actually continued writing it as a story for his son while he was away serving in the RAF during World War 2.

(Invalid img)

Not sarcastically or anything. I just didn't know, and now I do.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
Although a small(ish) part of the series, Christopher Lee was my favorite.
You know what'd have made the movies better? Some Max von Sydow. I love that guy.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Finishing the Silmarillion, but I would also like to point out that there are other books relating to Middle Earth; like the fantastic book Children of Hurin
^Tom Bombadil disagrees
Quote by Thrasher51

LOTR does have a lot of clutter in the way it's written, but I think that holds some of its charm. It certainly isn't dry, just gets hard to read some time. You need to have a really good attention span and you need to have absolutely no outside distractions when reading. The Hobbit is far more direct, and certainly the most well written out of any of his books.

The rest are good, too, but the Silmarillion can be quite dry. Children of Hurin is fantastically dark, though.
Page 1 of 2