Hey all,
It has always been one of my dreams to get a '59 Les Paul Reissue, and I've been searching the internet for about a year and I finally think I found the one to get. I'm getting what I feel is a pretty good deal on it, but I want all of your opinions. Link to the guitar is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270914327205
My one concern, and the one I want your opinion on, is the weight of the guitar. Most '59 RIs I see are 8-8.5 lbs, while this one is 9.2 lbs according to the auction. Do you think this will be a problem at all. I don't mind the extra weight (I play bass so I'm used to heavy instruments), but will it affect the tone at all. The other thing is he describes the guitar as having a "rich & vibrant "Jangle" tone, bright strat like tonal response". I've never heard a 59LP described like this, do you think it could really be that much different than the ones I've played. Unfortunately playing this particular one is not an option as I don't live anywhere near the store.
Any feedback will be greatly appriciated!
Last edited by VenomSnake at Feb 23, 2012,
LPs are heavy as hell but they are great guitars. I too love the Reissues of the older ones. Jump on it man, you won't regret it. That extra weight will come in handy if you ever have to El Kabong someone
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by Soccerguy
That listing just ended fyi.

Yea I know. I've been in touch with the seller though and am getting a lower price than is listed there. Mainly just want opinions on the guitar as mentioned above.
I can't justify spending that much on a guitar. '59 LPs are good guitar but they're not that good. EBMM, PRS and other guitar brands have much better value, imo.

Then again, it's your money and, if it's what you really want, then go for it. Just see if you can play it first.
West Ham United
I definitely see where you guys are coming from, but as much of it has to do with the collectability as it does with the quality of the guitar. That being said, I don't want to buy a guitar I don't like playing, and unfortunately it just isn't really an option for me to be able to play one of these before I buy it, they are just too rare where I live and I don't have the time to take a trip to play one. I'm going to try to see what his return policy is, so if I get it and really hate it for some reason I can return it. Any other opinions though?
The only reasons to get a 59 RI are either the smaller neck or highly figured top.If those are not your main considerations then an R8 or R7 or Plain Top R0 will get you a great for considerably less money.
On the weight issue the common weights are more 8.5 - 9.5 (or slightly less) for the majority. Below is OK above is getting heavy IMO.
Moving on.....
Figured top is definitely a huge part of it, so I do want an R9. I like the smaller neck as well but the figured top is what makes it for me.
As for weight, this is 9.2, so you think that within normal limits and nothing to worry about?
Depends how long you're going to be playing it for and in what situation. If you're on a large stage for a two and a half hour set, you do not want that thing round your neck. But, if you're just a bedroom player who sits down when they're playing and does the short occasional gig, weight isn't as important. Make sure you can get some sort of returns agreement. Two weeks should do it if he'll allow that. If not and you don't like it, it shouldn't be hard to sell it.
Quote by VenomSnake
Figured top is definitely a huge part of it, so I do want an R9. I like the smaller neck as well but the figured top is what makes it for me.
As for weight, this is 9.2, so you think that within normal limits and nothing to worry about?

they also make flame top R0s, if you prefer a thinner neck.

also paying more than about $4500-4800 for one is just crazy imo.

the figure on that top is nice, but the burst is a bit clowny imo.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by gregs1020
they also make flame top R0s, if you prefer a thinner neck.

also paying more than about $4500-4800 for one is just crazy imo.

the figure on that top is nice, but the burst is a bit clowny imo.

R0 is too thin for me, R9 feels just right.
That is what I'm going to be paying :-)
I've heard this term clowny before, but I loove the cherry bursts that are a nice deep red. I think the outdoor photos might exaggerate it more than it really is but I guess I'll see. And if not, it'll fade :-P
yea the sun probably brings it out a bunch. (the red)

a few shows in the sun would fade that back nicely.

what year is that guitar? when was it built?
Quote by VenomSnake
I don't mind the extra weight (I play bass so I'm used to heavy instruments), but will it affect the tone at all. The other thing is he describes the guitar as having a "rich & vibrant "Jangle" tone, bright strat like tonal response". I've never heard a 59LP described like this, do you think it could really be that much different than the ones I've played.
A les paul is supposed to be a little bit bright and jangly. For some reason people have gotten it in their heads that a les paul is suppose to be this super dark, heavy guitar. It isn't.

That's a sweet guitar though. I'm completely broke right now, but the day that I'm out of med school, I'm going to buy an R9.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by al112987
A les paul is supposed to be a little bit bright and jangly. For some reason people have gotten it in their heads that a les paul is suppose to be this super dark, heavy guitar. It isn't.

That comment probably comes from people who can't EQ an amp
First of all: do not buy that guitar.

Had to get that in early.

As one of the few people around here who have owned a Gibson VOS reissue - specifically the '59 model, in my case - let me promise you one thing: any one you buy online will not be good for you, you will be wasting your money.

When I bought my R9 I played so many guitars I lost count. I travelled the entire length and breadth of the country to find one I liked. The Custom Shop reissues vary so much you absolutely should never buy one without playing it for yourself. I played ones that weighed less than Strats, I played ones that weighed more than most bass guitars. I played ones which were meant to have thin 60s necks that had necks almost an inch thick, I played ones which were meant to have thick 50s necks that had necks thinner than most Fenders. I played ones with really tight-feeling controls, others with very loose-feeling controls. There were some with amazingly deep flame tops, others with barely any figure to them at all. Some were really resonant, others had barely any sustain. There was absolutely no consistency, absolutely nothing is predictable with Gibson Custom Shop guitars. I've played Custom Shop guitars that were so beautiful I could almost cry; I've also played Custom Shop Gibsons that were so bad I would pick a standard Epiphone above them. But what's good and what's bad is entirely subjective to you, to your ears and most importantly, to your hands.

In the end I did find one that felt and sounded right, and that's the one I bought even though it wasn't the finish I wanted. I originally insisted on a faded cherry burst finish '59 model, but every one I tried sucked. I started trying the 60s and 58 models too, then I started trying the other finishes. In the end it was a '59 model in Iced Tea burst that gave me the feel and sound I'd always wanted, with a light weight and a really nicely figured top; but this was after months and months of travelling around, playing guitars in many stores.

When you do find that one great Gibson that does exactly what you always dreamed of, it's something magical. But all the others are trash that will never be want you want them to be. Never, never buy a Gibson Custom Shop guitar without playing it first. In fact I would never buy any Gibson without playing it first, but with the Custom Shop models this is even more important.

yes, it's more expensive to buy from a shop. Yes, it's a pain to spend time and money looking around. But there's no point spending three grand on one online that turns out to be wrong for you (which it almost certainly will, they vary so wildly), when you could spend a while goign to some shops and buy the one that is right for you for four grand. Sure, an extra thousand isn't a small amount to piss away without a thought, but in the end you're looking for your dream guitar, something that should last you decades. In the grand scheme of things, in the context of what that guitar represents and should be to you, an extra thousand is nothing. There is no reason, absolutely no reason, to buy one online. You'll only regret it if you do and in the long run you'll waste money. Don't have enough money to buy one from a shop right now? Wait, save up more. Think about how good you want the guitar to be, think about how long you will own it if it does fit you. It's worth the wait, it's worth the higher price tag.

For more (with many more typos too), check out my review of the R9 here
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/gibson/custom_shop_1959_vos_reissue/index.html

Edit: also I'd just like to point out on that eBay auction, the seller lists the DC resistence of the pickups, which implies they've opened the guitar up at some point. With CS guitars that does devalue them a fair bit. You need to keep that stuff completely original and un-tampered. Frankly their price is a little high, knowing they've opened it up.
Also, they say it is "worth more every year", which is untrue. Though the reissues do hold their value fairly well, they certainly are not worth more each year.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by al112987
It isn't, but it can be, unlike most bright-sounding guitars. It's much easier to get a regular Les Paul sounding thick and heavy that it is to get a normal Jazzmaster sounding that way.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you can measure dc resistance without opening up the guitar.

it's called science.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
You can't do it accurately without getting to the pickups themselves, isolated from the pots, capacitors, jack and any shielding. And their given readings are too accurate and particular to have been taken any other way.
Quote by MrFlibble
As one of the few people around here who have owned a Gibson VOS reissue - specifically the '59 model, in my case

TS - fwiw most of the people in this thread past the first few posts have owned or played a few VOS gibson CS guitars.

it doesn't come across that way in Flibbles posts.
Quote by VenomSnake
Hey all,
It has always been one of my dreams to get a '59 Les Paul Reissue, and I've been searching the internet for about a year and I finally think I found the one to get. I'm getting what I feel is a pretty good deal on it, but I want all of your opinions. Link to the guitar is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270914327205
My one concern, and the one I want your opinion on, is the weight of the guitar. Most '59 RIs I see are 8-8.5 lbs, while this one is 9.2 lbs according to the auction. Do you think this will be a problem at all. I don't mind the extra weight (I play bass so I'm used to heavy instruments), but will it affect the tone at all. The other thing is he describes the guitar as having a "rich & vibrant "Jangle" tone, bright strat like tonal response". I've never heard a 59LP described like this, do you think it could really be that much different than the ones I've played. Unfortunately playing this particular one is not an option as I don't live anywhere near the store.
Any feedback will be greatly appriciated!

Firstly, make sure to check the return policy in the case you don't bond with it.

That's not a great price tbh, check Marks' Guitar Loft or ring Eddie's Guitars and ask for Brett, tell him guitarbob123 sent you and he'll give you a great deal and knock off at least a grand off that eBay price. He can pick out great guitars and I've never seen someone come away from him with a guitar they didn't love. That's where I got my Les Paul, and it's amazing.

Being honest, it could take quite a few guitars before you find one that's suited to you. I've played a 59RI that was a dog and then played an R7 that was a couple of grand cheaper and twice the guitar. Every guitar is different.

Have you looked at getting a slightly figured R8? It'll cost you a couple of grand less and they'll have the same neck profiles. (obviously all guitars vary but similar size) The only real difference between an R8 and R9 is the top. Not worth an extra 2k for a bit of flame...

Weight won't really matter tbh, especially if you're used to playing bass.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by MrFlibble
You can't do it accurately without getting to the pickups themselves, isolated from the pots, capacitors, jack and any shielding. And their given readings are too accurate and particular to have been taken any other way.

ya ok. you just go ahead and do your science thing.

also has greg said...half the people in this thread have owned historic reissues.

They are the most consistent guitars that Gibson makes.

Quote by AcousticMirror
ya ok. you just go ahead and do your science thing.
You do realise that merely having a potentiometer in the circuit changes what dc resistance reading you'll get (not that dc resistance even tells you much, but that's beside the point)? Unless you're testing direct through the pickup of course, which is going to require you open the guitar up. Hence, problem.

also has greg said...half the people in this thread have owned historic reissues.
'Half the people in this thread' equals four people, so far. Which is about right. I never said I was the only, I said one of the few. Learn2readingcomprehension.

They are the most consistent guitars that Gibson makes.
They really, really aren't. As you would know if you'd played many of them. Anyone who's played more than ten or so can and will tell you how inconsistent they are as far as adhering to spec goes.
Quote by MrFlibble
You do realise that merely having a potentiometer in the circuit changes what dc resistance reading you'll get (not that dc resistance even tells you much, but that's beside the point)? Unless you're testing direct through the pickup of course, which is going to require you open the guitar up. Hence, problem.

'Half the people in this thread' equals four people, so far. Which is about right. I never said I was the only, I said one of the few. Learn2readingcomprehension.

They really, really aren't. As you would know if you'd played many of them. Anyone who's played more than ten or so can and will tell you how inconsistent they are as far as adhering to spec goes.

you know you can use maths to calculate things.

and they really really are.

as long as you are aware of what your actually holding.

There are number of subset designations and there's not a 10 percent deviation within any of the subsets.

So I talked to the dealer, and the measured impedance listed there is just through the output jack with the volume turned all the way up, so did not require the pups to be opened.
Also, the price listed on the auction is *not* the price I'm getting, it's much less than that.
I'm thinking I'm gonna go for it, they have a 7 day return policy so if I don't like it I can easily return it and only be out $50 for shipping.
Fibble you replaced your R9 with an LTD and a glorified spider so shush.

TS, chances are if that guitar is as good as all the R's I have played, you will be very very happy.

Though I would say there are better deals to be had if you want to look around a bit more.

Either, good luck

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've played dozens of CS Gibsons and they're by far the most consistent guitars they make. I own one, a buddy owns 3, another buddy owns 2 and most of my guitar playing friends have one. Along with the ones I've played over the course of the last 10 years in guitar stores.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Alright just called the dealer and ordered it. So excited for it to come next week!
Fyi, I payed $4700, which I thought was a pretty fair price.
Congrats. R9s are basically the best guitar that money can buy these days (outside of custom Luthier built guitars).
Quote by Tom 1.0
Fibble you replaced your R9 with an LTD and a glorified spider so shush.
True, but that was because I loved her too much to put EMGs in her. And because Mayones dicked me around too much.
And I'll have you know the HD147 is a offshoot of the Vetta series. Don't you dare slander me with that 'Spider' filth. I may have questionable taste but I'm not mental.

Though really she was replaced by a digital camera and a week's holiday in Germany (okay, maybe I am mental).
The only people I'd consider buying off Ebay from were MPL members simply because I have an avenue of expressing my issues publicly & easily if the guitar were less than advertised and this would harm the MPL members rep and future sales. There are also good vendors out there that are players themselves and can sort through their stock picking out an LP by means other than pure looks. This can get you a good LP if you know exactly what qualities you want in an LP and can accurately describe them to the Vendor. I've gotten two very good RIS this way. To be honest when it comes to buying hi quality gear like CS guitars from a good vendor I'm more concerned with shipping issues.
In the end ideally playing before buying is the way to go but for some of us not always practical.
Moving on.....
Quote by VenomSnake
Alright just called the dealer and ordered it. So excited for it to come next week!
Fyi, I payed $4700, which I thought was a pretty fair price.

nice.

and that's not a bad price for a new R9 imo.

Quote by al112987
Congrats. R9s are basically the best guitar that money can buy these days (outside of custom Luthier built guitars).

unless you prefer the neck of a R0.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 26, 2012,
Quote by KenG
The only people I'd consider buying off Ebay from were MPL members simply because I have an avenue of expressing my issues publicly & easily if the guitar were less than advertised and this would harm the MPL members rep and future sales. There are also good vendors out there that are players themselves and can sort through their stock picking out an LP by means other than pure looks. This can get you a good LP if you know exactly what qualities you want in an LP and can accurately describe them to the Vendor. I've gotten two very good RIS this way. To be honest when it comes to buying hi quality gear like CS guitars from a good vendor I'm more concerned with shipping issues.
In the end ideally playing before buying is the way to go but for some of us not always practical.

On this point, jimmyace has a really really nice R9 on eBay for a good price. He's a reliable seller too if anyone's looking.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'