Gear, blackstar ht-5, blackstar 10" cab, ltd ec400vf sd jb/59 pickups, some times fulltone ocd. Playing metal, classic rock, some blues. I was thinking about upgrading my cab to a carvin 2x12 vertical slant cab with celestion v30s.

Is there any negative opinions on carvin cabs? I was thinkin i could upgrade the cab now and then upgrade to a better head later. Playing at home no intentions of playin out for awhile.

thanks,
I have a bunch of Carvin PA stuff, and it's pretty damn good stuff. Surprisingly good, considering what I paid for it. I've not used their guitar cabs before though.

Is this a new cab straight from Carvin, or used? I only ask because that cab with the upgrade to V30's is actually more than an Avatar 212, and I have to think the build quality is probably about the same between them. Actually, after looking up the info, the Carvin cabs are made of poplar ply, and avatar used birch ply. Birch is generally a better wood, but poplar isn't bad... It really has more to do with the quality of construction IMO.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I was looking at buying new. Honestly the slant cab just caught my eye. Didnt really think of build material. The cab is the slant 2x12 that is under the v3m series. Cost 329 plus 90 for v30s. The avatar contemp 2x12 was 429. So dollar wise there the same. Would i be dissapointed with carvin compared to avatar? Or would i even notice a difference?
That price on the Carvin probably does not include shipping... Plus the avatar traditional is probably closer in style and construction to the Carvin cab than the contemporary, and is only $425 shipped. I just bought a PA speaker from Carvin last week, and it cost me an extra $35 for basic ground shipping.

You probably wouldn't really notice much, if any, difference. Same speakers, same basic cab design... The main difference I would consider is that the avatar cabs have the option for the removeable back plate, so you can use it open or closed back.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes