I picked up a used Blackstar HT-5H head on ebay dirt cheap a couple of months ago. I had some left over cabinetry grade plywood from another project so I figured I might as well build a speaker cab instead of buying one. It turned into a more involved project than I predicted. I've never built one of these before so I took the opportunity to experiment and see how much scrap material I could use up. I had some black tolex and a few other parts to throw at it. Everything else was touch and go until I figured out what I wanted.

Stained and Varnished. The sides were not very good wood. The top and face will be left varnished. The sides will be covered in Tolex.

Almost done. I should have taken progress photos since it turned out better than I thought it would.

You can't really tell here, but the front has a slight slant to it so the speaker point slightly upward.

A little ID plate I had made up.

Warehouse Guitar Speakers Veteren 30 16 Ohm 60 watt.

I twisted two strands of 18 AWG speaker wire together for each lead and then reverse twisted them. I then covered it all in techflex and heatshrink.

Back panels. I have to finish varnishing and painting them. They'll mount on the back for a 2/3 open design. I'll be mounting a Neutrik locking 1/4" jack in the larger upper panel for the speaker connection.

Overall it turned out much better than I expected considering my lack of experience in this area. The grill cloth was fun It was a cheap one from Mojotone and I'm pretty sure it's all plastic construction so stretching it tight was a real pain. It wasn't that difficult but it sure took a lot of time.

I can't wait to finish it up this weekend and hear the amp through it.
Last edited by poppameth at Feb 23, 2012,
hmm, maybe a cab internal's transplant from the blackstar box into a wooden one that matches your cab?
Last edited by Viban at Feb 23, 2012,
Are the joints finger or dovetail? I'm having a hard time seeing it with the stain and the roundover.

That's a very nice speaker cabinet.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Viban
hmm, maybe a cab internal's transplant from the blackstar box into a wooden one that matches your cab?

You had to say it didn't you? Now I'm going to have to consider it!!
Quote by timbit2006
Are the joints finger or dovetail? I'm having a hard time seeing it with the stain and the roundover.

That's a very nice speaker cabinet.

They are Dovetails. I didn't have a jig for my router so I hand cut large dovetails using a template block I had. This was my first time cutting dovetails as well. They came out decent but the Youtube videos make it look easier than it is. I think it's because the $100 Japanese backsaws they use cut pretty much anything like it's butter.

I dovetailed, glued it together and screwed it together. Once it dried I removed the screw, routed the edges, and reinstalled the screws. Then I filled it all with Timbermate putty and sanded it smooth. I don't think it's ever coming apart!!!
100 dollars is expensive for a saw? Have you ever heard of Lie Nielsen? They make the best quality tools but also have the top price. I'm buying a dovetail saw from them in the near future.
..I was watching my death.
It's not the most expensive but it's up there. I'd love to have a few of these saws but I've already spent more on tools than I should lately. Maybe one day in the future I'll get my hands on one. I definitely need something better than I have now. My backsaw is a cheapy that came with my miter box.
Finally finished it up.

Final pics!

I have to do a quick mod to boost the feet up on the head. They are very small and don't allow the head to sit over the handle on the cab correctly. I'll just insert some spacers to make the feet taller.