Can I use a home stereo receiver to power my passive stage monitors? I have a Powered mixer for the mains, but I have no way to power my monitors. HELPP!
My gear:
1982 Peavey Falcon
2004 Les Paul
2006 Peavey Transtube
2007 Youngblood 100w cab
2002 Dean Playmate Bass
2002 Dean Bassola
Really depends on the home receiver. Some of them don't have the ability to handle that kind of duty. Something with decent cooling capacity and a good power supply should be fine, but some of these wimpy home receivers will crack under the pressure. Also, you may not have the correct connections on the back of a home receiver. Most mixing consoles use XLR and TRS connectors, while common home receivers will use RCA inputs. Also, watch your speaker impedance. Additionally, you could end up damaging your monitors, if the amplifier is under-powered and you drive it too hard and clip the signal - you don't say what it's rated for.

FWIW, I used to DJ with home amplifiers years ago, back in the 80s, but I was using high-end stuff. They could really take the abuse and sound great. These were amps that weighed 50 lbs. Believe it or not, I still have them and use them today - just not for DJ use any more.

You may be better off buying something that's actually designed for that purpose.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 23, 2012,
Well I understand about the impedance and all that. I was just wondering if it was possible or if there was any big problems with it. I would be running TRS out of my mixer and I have connectors that would allow me to connect them to a RCA input. I just need something to power my monitor mix. As of right now, I have nothing.
My gear:
1982 Peavey Falcon
2004 Les Paul
2006 Peavey Transtube
2007 Youngblood 100w cab
2002 Dean Playmate Bass
2002 Dean Bassola
Give it a try. What do you have to lose? If it don't work, the amp will let you know.