that's a typical R&B progression from the good old motown days... just like Amy Winehouse songs... Have you ever listened to The Platters??... and the chords are basically a blues as a base with some chords that bring an extra tension to the general hermony. They sound good because you expect a typical blues form but it gives some extra dips. Think of it as a Pizza with some extra ingredients. (:

By the way: if you're from the states, you should really worry about getting to know all your culture and heritage. Just my opinion anyway
Last edited by whysky at Feb 23, 2012,
The first verse remids me of The Blues Brothers version of the Randy Newman song Guilty, awesome song, very similar chords (although the Mayer tune becomes much more uplifting). Ill see if I can find it on youtube ...

Edit: Cant find the live album version, found a couple tributes, a version by another artist and by the original artist though. You should grab The Blues Brothers Complete album, it's awesome.

That John Mayer tune is really cool btw, I keep meaning to listen to more of his stuff.

As for what style it is, I'd call it soul.

Edit Edit: Here's what I was looking for.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 23, 2012,
It's great music. AS I said, I've been searching for it for Years. Where I first heard it was the song that got me into blues "In the Heat of the night by Ray Charles".

whysky, I LOVE Amy's music. I guess I never truly paid attention because her voice always steals my attention.

Love the Blues Brothers hydra! I still play "Cant Turn Ya Loose" from the BB 2000 movie every damn day haha. and of course "Ghost Riders in the sky!"
Have you heard the original Cant Turn You Loose by Otis Redding? This is why I love the Blues Brothers - they got me interested in Soul then I bought a couple compilation albums and discovered so many awesome blues and soul guys from the 60s (who are now some of myy favourite artists) that I wouldn't have heard of.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 23, 2012,
Sounds like 1960s Motown, R&B to me. As far as other artists in that vein, Otis Redding was one of the kings of that style. Really almost anything from Motown in the 60s is great.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything.

—Chick Corea
Last edited by Guppy_Odyssey at Feb 23, 2012,