SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker
878 IQ
Seriously, I'm calling it. These guys are going to be the next Between the Buried and Me, as in the next relatively "underground" (BTBAM isn't Dream Theater status) prog metal act. I was searching for guitar covers of BTBAM songs, and came across one of the guitar players of this band doing an Alaska intro cover. Went to his channel and found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1o8RCOOC20&context=C35fa314ADOEgsToPDskLj7WebiUNSuwGwZ3dU3ZXd

If you're a BTBAM fan, listen to all twelve minutes. At first you might say "This is just a college kid mash-up of BTBAM and Scale The Summit" but just wait until you hear the whole song. Your jaw might drop at parts like mine did.

This group is not your typical wanna-be fair. If This group is something special. This track actually has the kind of fresh, "wow" factor I was hoping from the 2011 BTBAM and Protest The Hero releases (though I did like Hypersleep Dialogues).

I don't think they are signed, but I don't care, they're garnering a fanbase. If black metal bands with 27 letter, one-word names and only 5,000 fans worldwide are allowed threads on this board, then this band deserves the same.

... and one of the guitar players finger picks.

Mood = Excited

Mind = Blown
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden
482 IQ
Quote by SkinnyWhiteBoy
These guys are going to be the next Between the Buried and Me

Do we need another one?
Philosophy > Life
DartS17
120 IQ
Quote by MoogleRancha
Do we need another one?

MmmmmmmmmNope

Didn't even need the first one.

Quote by SkinnyWhiteBoy
At first you might say "This is just a college kid mash-up of BTBAM and Scale The Summit"
I thought that throughout the whole song.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Hellomeitsme
Correct, I am erect
60 IQ
Badly constructed song,equally boring band. Sorry

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Vitor_vdp
... likes Gentle Giant
1,239 IQ
I found out about them a little while ago, they have some really interesting ideas going on. I'm curious to hear whatever they release next.

I definitely hope they won't be the next BTBAM, because I don't really like them...
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by SkinnyWhiteBoy

If black metal bands with 27 letter, one-word names and only 5,000 fans worldwide are allowed threads on this board, then this band deserves the same.

Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Too much start-stop riffing. Sounds like a big mish mash of pseudo-prog and really it does not sound at all like BTBAM and more like some combination of a pop-rock band and Corelia. This doesn't even sound Metal in the slightest so why here!?
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
2,379 IQ
Yeah this sucks.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Hellomeitsme
Correct, I am erect
60 IQ
Haha Im watching that show right now

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Stranglehold
6,080 IQ
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
listening to it right now, comes across a bit shiate. A fewcool ideas (between the) buried under some really really lame stuff . . . i can tell the guitarist and bassist are already very skilled, and the production is clear but i feel its lacking liveliness. or "life" even. It just smacks of trying very very VERY hard to be as proggy as possible.

post- colors pulls their style off because their music actually *takes* you somewhere.
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
There is no such thing as "prog metal". This is just carnival music appealing to the LCD. Doesn't belong in metal forum, send it to the hardcore forum if you want to appease btbam teeny boppers
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS
2,988 IQ
Quote by progbass
There is no such thing as "prog metal". This is just carnival music appealing to the LCD. Doesn't belong in metal forum, send it to the hardcore forum if you want to appease btbam teeny boppers

appealing to the liquid crystal display ? huh ?

and yeah that was just horrible, turned it off after a minute
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
duncang
Popular British sitcom
4,351 IQ
I'm gonna go back to my bowl of cereal now
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
MustangMan311
Cody
2,113 IQ
Quote by illuminatiano
appealing to the liquid crystal display ? huh ?

and yeah that was just horrible, turned it off after a minute

I believe he means 'lowest common denominator'. This band is horrendous.
severed-metal
moo
4,318 IQ
If I had a nickel for every time somebody called me Jon..

..I'd have enough money to buy a death laser so I could destroy this band.
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died
160 IQ
That song was really bad.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."

Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by severed-metal
If I had a nickel for every time somebody called me Jon..

..I'd have enough money to buy a death laser so I could destroy this band.

Fitting that he who adorns the name of pure evil have a death laser. @_@
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker
878 IQ
I'm speaking more to the potential of this band. Saying that they "are the next BTBAM", versus "could potentially become" was my downfall with the original posting, that I admit.

Knocks on the band that I didn't post are that, yes, it sounds like an ADHD cluster**** of concepts. It definitely does sound like they are trying much too hard to be "progressive". It does have a pop quality that is overbearing at times. The "heavy parts"... are laughable, and the vocalists growls are terrible. The vocals sound way over-produced and robotic in certain parts. Guitar parts are too pseudo-prog through out, and originality or personality seems thrown aside in favor of displays of technical prowess.

But... I'm still excited for this band. I'm excited because they're young, just starting out, and are already technically sound musicians. On top of that, I thought that they had some really interesting ideas with this certain track. Ideas, though, that don't fully realize their potential because these guys are young and seem to too busy just trying to impress and show people what they can do, and how much of it they can do.

I really hope they break out of what seems to be technical compensation for their musical insecurities (or rather, exposure insecurities?). I really hope that they realize that less can often times be more. I think going to Berklee doesn't help their idea of what is necessary and what isn't. I've heard stories from recent alumni students and 80s era alumni students, and apparently there's always been a rooted sense of snobbery with your work at Berklee. I imagine they feel

Concrete predictions? Psssh... no way, these guys could continue on their path, never change it up, rinse/repeat and become the next Protest The Hero minus the crap singer.

Wishful thinking? Obviously. I'm not blinded by technical prowess, and countless chord progressions in only 12 minutes. I'm just optimistic that this band will learn some balance, gain some much-needed heaviness in their sound, and learn to string all their ideas into a complete album/EP versus one single, 12-minute track.
ctfod
Your move, creep
1,105 IQ
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
SkinnyWhiteBoy
UG's Smewth Rocker
878 IQ
Quote by ctfod

Lol good one.Yes, my latest reply is a complete flip flop from my original statement, buuuut... stuff happens, people say things they don't think through, people berate them for it, and then it's even worse when they realize, reevaluate, and then try to restate what their thoughts on the particular matter are. I'm not a public figure, I'm not looking for forgiveness, I'm just recognizing my ignorance and trying to offer a better explanation of what I really mean (despite how sheepish that may seem) now that time has passed, and I'm no longer blinded by the pure infatuation with impressive technicality and some neat ideas (infatuation with new things is a psychological phenomenon, happens when you meet new people).

Feel free to make jokes at my expense, I'll be a god sport about it. Gotta laugh at yourself when you do or say stupid things!

I'm just glad my name's not Dave Mustaine.
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
2,379 IQ
Wow, this thread is actually interesting in a good way now.

Despite the reaming you have recieved (and were doubtless bound to receive), you handle yourself surprisingly well. For that I commend you.

Problem I have is a] I hate BTBAM, and b], we sure as hell dont need more music like that.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
1,434 IQ
Quote by duncang
I'm gonna go back to my bowl of cereal now

HA! You live in a bowl of cereal! Tell me, are your walls crispy or soft?
TV-Casualty
451 IQ
Quote by Youtube
just another shitty pseudo-prog band. goddamn this is terrible, songwriting is akin to a quilt put together by someone with downs syndrome

ha, word
romencer17
Take it easy, but take it
1,928 IQ
^I left that comment
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
jonathan.keeler
1,864 IQ
these guys are all at Berkeley. this was probably a project to see if they could compose something with as many different styles, riffs, tempo changes ECT. thats why it sounds so sporadic. they are releasing an album at the start of next year and hopefully they will be writing music and not compositions (if you follow my ramblings).

one band that i have been watching for a few months now.
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
Mr Winters
Pffff
2,190 IQ
Eh it wasn't really THAT bad. A bit boring and the production is seriously lacking, but there's potential. At least they are skilled instrumentalists.

And no, they certainly are not the next BTBAM.
I have no sig
Atomic_Assault
53 IQ
Quote by NotFromANUS

In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by NotFromANUS

This is the only post I've ever read from you that actually made me smile.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by jonathan.keeler
these guys are all at Berkeley.

mom and dad must be alumni
Steve08
Lord of Battery
390 IQ
I know the bass player to an extent personally, but really, I doubt any of these kinds of bands will ever release any music of note because they lack no understanding of what sets apart truly exceptional metal from boring, pseudo-ambitious "prog metal" like this: unity. Every composer I have talked to operative in this style has almost next to conception of anything like motifs, coherent motion, narrative, or just writing songs which progress logically. There's literally no "idea" behind any of it, just notes, going from one riff to another without any sense of purpose, wandering around aimlessly until the next arbitrary change (songwriting like this is done based on whim, not logic, usually) so the music has all the drive of a gentle summer breeze.

This really isn't metal by any standard either, it's all so... happy, and about as threatening as a box of kittens. Not that metal can't be happy... but you can express emotions like happiness or joy with decidedly less saccharine note choice. It's a shame the production is so sterile and lifeless also, I can tell that the drummer is actually good and understands the important of dynamics and shit but that just doesn't translate at all properly throughout the substantial amount of quantizing and sound replacement the drum tracks have gone through. Any "cool drum move" is rendered extremely lame and flavorless sounding as a result. Le sigh.
Last edited by Steve08 at Oct 29, 2012,
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
Quote by Steve08
Every composer I have talked to operative in this style has almost next to conception of anything like motifs, coherent motion, narrative, or just writing songs which progress logically. There's literally no "idea" behind any of it, just notes, going from one riff to another without any sense of purpose, wandering around aimlessly until the next arbitrary change (songwriting like this is done based on whim, not logic, usually) so the music has all the drive of a gentle summer breeze.

This is something I struggle with, both as a songwriter and as a listener. The problem I have here is that whether or not there's a cohesive "idea" behind a piece of music is fairly subjective, as much as I hate to use that word. For instance, one could listen to a ten-minute song that doesn't repeat any parts and walk away feeling as though important thoughts, ideas, or emotions had been imparted during the experience, whereas one could just as easily listen to any number of three to four minute songs with predictable verse/chorus/verse structure and get nothing out of it.

From a songwriting perspective, I won't pretend to be particularly accomplished at writing with cohesiveness. I find that I excel at writing parts; it's the transitions between where I encounter difficulty. Generally, my approach to writing music is to listen to what I have so far and try to feel what comes next-- should the next part be fast and aggressive? Slower and more chilled out? Have I already locked into the perfect feel for this part? Should I keep it going? And this in turn dictates the approach I take in writing the next riff or part, i.e. tempo changes, distortion vs. clean guitar, heavy palm mutes or strummed chords, etc. Obviously my scope is narrowed by my experience, ability, and the fact that I'm looking at the song from the perspective of only one instrument but you get my point.

Now, my issue as a listener is that I have no idea what the writer intended to convey with any direction he takes in the song I'm listening to. I only know how I, personally, interpret this change. And this varies from person to person. I may hear what I interpret as a flawless build-up to a crushing breakdown, whereas another person might interpret the same thing as a boring section killing the momentum of an otherwise promising riff.

So, given these differences in opinion, I often struggle with making any definitive statement about whether a piece of music is well-composed or not when the structure is as unusual as the song this thread is about. I mean, generally it's easy to tell when a band consistently outputs music that sounds exactly like everything everyone else is doing, but when a band puts together complex, multi-genre works, it's a bit harder. What sounds like two completely unrelated parts smashed together to one person might sound like a brilliant transition into an interesting new dynamic to another. I think BTBAM's Ants of the Sky is a prime example, as I feel (and have seen many other users express they feel as well) that that song is brilliantly composed and that every section flows perfectly into the next, whereas many people (and not just people who hate BTBAM) feel like there's a great deal of filler and excessive material.

I don't know why I decided to write an essay about any of this, especially since, while I enjoy a lot of the individual parts in this Native Construct song, I tend to agree that it's not structured very well and there was little thought put into making it cohesive. I've just reached a point in my musicianship where I've started considering songwriting a lot more and I find it fascinating, especially attempting to analyze other people's music and trying to ascertain why they made certain decisions about different sections.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT