I'm in an acoustic band atm but for the last 5 months or so I've been introducing my electric guitar and after about 5 or 6 years of playing now I'm getting more into the technical side of things and thinking of upgrading my gear.

I'm wondering what sort of amp I should buy for my electric that wouldn't be too overbearing for the band but could be versatile enough for me to spend some time by myself with more of the crunchier metal tones outside of the band? not really worried about the price of them, I'm just thinking of what to buy first.
Maybe a modeling amp? If price is no object, then get an Axefx or something. That will give you all the tones you could want.

As far as tube amps.... maybe a Marshall JVM?

We need more info on what sounds you want.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by You Ruined It
Depends on your budget, but take a look at the Vox Valvetronix.very capable modeling amp.

yeah i had a look at them last night, I'd probably end up getting something like that. any suggestions how much wattage i should use? I'm using an old 40 watt pro amp ga-4012r at the moment and it sounds okay but I don't know whether increasing to 80 or 100 us really going to make a difference in the end
Quote by JordanJugular
yeah i had a look at them last night, I'd probably end up getting something like that. any suggestions how much wattage i should use? I'm using an old 40 watt pro amp ga-4012r at the moment and it sounds okay but I don't know whether increasing to 80 or 100 us really going to make a difference in the end

wattage has no bearing on tone (at least, not in the sense that more watts sound better). a bigger amp probably won't sound better. 40 watts is tonnes for most gigs (I have a 100 watt amp, and I always run it at 50 watts).

a good 40watt amp will be plenty loud, unless you're playing with the most aggressive of drummers (in which case fire the drummer, cause they're always too damn loud). the vox vt is an excellent choice as it will give you all the basic tones you could want. from their, you'll be able to develop your ear and get a sense for what you really want to invest in. if you're really worried about volume, they do make a bigger one yet.

as long as you don't get a line 6 spider or a marshall mg, you should be fine.