Ok, so i'm looking at completely re-doing my setup; guitar, amp, and effects. Im looking to upgrade to a solid modern/progressive metal sound (thinking System of a Down, Opeth and Dream Theater). First off, im after a low-ish wattage tube amp, with a nice, transparent clean sound. as far as an overdriven sound, id prefer it to come from a second channel on the amp, but if not, i was thinking a blackstar dual to take its place

now, i could be wrong about this part, but this is what i was thinking as far as effects: mxr 6 band eq, mxr carbon copy delay, possibly an isp decimator and possibly a chorus of some kind

if i sell off all my current gear, i should probably end up with $1200-$1700 australian, but i can afford to throw some extra at it. to replace my guitar, i was thinking a PRS SE custom 24, which i could pick up for around 700 bucks. (i know this part isnt relevant to this forum; i was just saying)

amp-wise, i was thinking perhaps a jet city jca2212c ( the 2 channel 20w combo) with the carbon copy, 6-band, and perhaps a fulltone ocd in there for extra angry.

i know i can get the 6-band, CC and OCD for around 400 all up, and that amp would be around 500, plus the 700 for the guitar adds up to $1600. i could probably push that to around $2000 if need be.

does anyone has better options/additions/subtractions to make for that setup?
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
are you planning on playing in a band? if so then you'll run out of clean headroom pretty fast with a low wattage amp. the bands you mentioned all have fairly different sounds so you might have a problem getting all those sounds with a basic set up. until yo determine tha amp you'll use saying what overdrive/distortion to use would be tough. also only using a dealy and perhaps chorus won't really get you the john petrucci sound (don't really listen to opeth of SOAD so i can't really say on them).
Quote by monwobobbo
are you planning on playing in a band? if so then you'll run out of clean headroom pretty fast with a low wattage amp. the bands you mentioned all have fairly different sounds so you might have a problem getting all those sounds with a basic set up. until yo determine tha amp you'll use saying what overdrive/distortion to use would be tough. also only using a dealy and perhaps chorus won't really get you the john petrucci sound (don't really listen to opeth of SOAD so i can't really say on them).

im leaning towards an opeth-ish sound more than any. i should probably focus on an amp first too
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Honestly, I would take my budget for a guitar and pedals and put it with the amp towards getting a Mesa Mark V. Use the current guitar and the Boss ME for effects until you save up enough to upgrade the others later.
Quote by Seanthesheep
Mini rec seems perfect for you, just dont know how much itll cost yea

i have a mate that lives in the states. i was going to buy an american one, have it shipped to his house, then have him mail it to me. they sell for $999, postage to australia would be ~$150, then a voltage transformer (Aus mains = 230v, US mains = 110v) would be ~$200. so all up, around $1400. waaaaay better than the $2300 australian RRP :P, but still a lot of cash
Quote by MrChief

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Honestly, I would take my budget for a guitar and pedals and put it with the amp towards getting a Mesa Mark V. Use the current guitar and the Boss ME for effects until you save up enough to upgrade the others later.

for the sake of comparison, a Mark V head in australia retails for $6000, and the combo for $6500
Quote by MrChief

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50