Page 1 of 8
So, according to the Big Bang theory, the Universe was born 13.7 billion years ago. There was an infinitely small "point" where all matter and energy were concentraded, then it "exploded" and expanded to form the known Universe. Modern physics also says there's nothing faster than the speed of light (except maybe neutrinos, which would be slightly faster).

Now, scientists says the Universe was 1 light year wide just a few seconds after the Big Bang. So, matter traveled 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles (1 light year) in less than a minute. That's far beyond the speed of light. How is that possible?

NOTE: I'm not a creationist. Just wanted to share my thoughts. I can't not think about Troll Science though.
aliens
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Can you source the "the universe was 1 light year wide a few seconds after the Big Bang" bit please?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Nothing with mass can exceed the speed of light. However, the Big Bang was simply an outpouring of energy, and since energy has no mass, it was capable of moving faster than the speed of light.

At least that's my pseudo-scientific take on it.
Quote by Poglia
So, according to the Big Bang theory, the Universe was born 13.7 billion years ago. There was an infinitely small "point" where all matter and energy were concentraded, then it "exploded" and expanded to form the known Universe. Modern physics also says there's nothing faster than the speed of light (except maybe neutrinos, which would be slightly faster).

Now, scientists says the Universe was 1 light year wide just a few seconds after the Big Bang. So, matter traveled 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles (1 light year) in less than a minute. That's far beyond the speed of light. How is that possible?

NOTE: I'm not a creationist. Just wanted to share my thoughts. I can't not think about Troll Science though.

>Admits that faster than light travel is possible
>Makes point about the big bang moving faster than light being impossible

wat
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Poglia

Hah! Check mate, scientists!
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
if the explosion had enough energy then why wouldn't the matter exceed the speed of light? there was supposedly and near infinite amount of energy in that bang, so much that 14 billion years later that matter is still moving apart. it's not because there isn't enough energy on this planet to move things faster than light that it's not possible in the universe i guess..

but i don't know i'm no scientist
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
God, I seriously thought you were referring to the show even after reading your post.
ever thought that they might just be wrong about it being 1 light year wide in less than a minute

OR

that all the matter ever was actually quite big and so getting to a light year wide in a few seconds was entirely plausible.
If you have a question about the big bang, and havent studied physics in college, no offense, but your opinion is probably uneducated, and thats where your "problem" comes from. The big bang happened and so did evolution, they arent beliefs, theyre facts. No to sound rude or pointing fingers.

Edit: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=387
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If you have a question about the big bang, and havent studied physics in college, no offense, but your opinion is probably uneducated, and thats where your "problem" comes from. The big bang happened and so did evolution, they arent beliefs, theyre facts. No to sound rude or pointing fingers.

i think everybody here knows that, now MR. studiedphysicsincollegebutcan'treadasimplepost, share with us your infinite wisdom and post the answer to the f*cking question.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
OP: Source please on the 1 light year thing. Sounds both ill-phrased and I believe it lacks facts.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I'm no creationist, but the Big Bang theory is still a theory, just like macro-evolution (which I also support), simply because it hasn't been proven. All the evidence points in that direction, but no conclusive evidence has been found yet.
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
Quote by Anchr

I'm no creationist, but the Big Bang theory is still a theory, just like macro-evolution (which I also support), simply because it hasn't been proven. All the evidence points in that direction, but no conclusive evidence has been found yet.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
>_>.jpg

And now read the third phrase. If conclusive evidence had already be found we wouldn't have the creation vs big bang discussion would we? But the model is still slightly flawed and hence it's still a theory.
Quote by Represent
I thought you were talking about the show
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I almost punched myself so hard in the face just to prevent myself from remembering what you just posted.
Theory doesnt.... Not even going to bother.... Im going to bed now....
Well the fact that neutrinos are faster than light is a bit unsettling...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Anchr
And now read the third phrase. If conclusive evidence had already be found we wouldn't have the creation vs big bang discussion would we? But the model is still slightly flawed and hence it's still a theory.

Scientific theories explain phenomena. Scientific laws dictate physics. There will never be a "Law of Evolution" because evolution is not a way in which matter behaves. What I'm trying to say is that 'theories' can still be factual, even if the name, to the ignorant, suggests otherwise.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Scientific theories explain phenomena. Scientific laws dictate physics. There will never be a "Law of Evolution" because evolution is not a way in which matter behaves. What I'm trying to say is that 'theories' can still be factual, even if the name, to the ignorant, suggests otherwise.

You're right. I stand corrected on the law/theory part. I had it indeed confused with the physics kinds of theories/laws.
Quote by Represent
With the show: no
With the theory: most likely no
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
The Big Bang Theory is at best an oversimplistic, hamfisted, crude model that even if it were to hold true, would only raise more questions than it would awnser

It's a shame how kids who insult the intelligence of gnostics by citing the BBT don't realize how ignorant they themselves sound, but it's delicious to the discerning onlooker
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

The ability to question information which has been presented to you is important for scientist. The thread started found some inconsistence in what has been prestented to them, thus they asked this question.

Your answer, on the other hand, has little or nothing to do with the original question.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Metallicuh
I thought you were talking about the show

This.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Big Bang... theory.
Maybe it expanded so fast because it had no matter in it and could therefore travel faster than the speed of light?
The Big Bang isn't a theory. Everying about the conecpt is thought to be true up to the point at which is happened.
Because the Big Bang was the first troll.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Thanks for the link, and no, there was no physics in my high school. I'm studying something that has nothing to do with it.

You said evolution is a fact, and I agree (again, I'm not a creationist or a fundamentalist Christian). I know pretty much everything about evolution, dinosaurs, etc. I have read TONS of paleontology books, magazines and websites. I love it. I even have some fossils, including a Velociraptor talon and a T-Rex tooth.

But... Big Bang is just a theory. No one can ever know what EXACTLY happened 13.7 billion years ago. There's absolutely no way.

Also, I didn't know there was a show called Big Bang Theory. I don't watch TV.
Quote by AussiePage
Big Bang... theory.

Read the thread, I made the same mistake :p
Quote by Represent
The Big Bang was an expansion of space, not an expansion in space.

When you get your head around that, you'll see that nothing's wrong here.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
time and space are connected, time stretches as space expands.
thats why the further into space we look the further back in time we look.
now extra flamey
Scientific theories have been wrong before. Evolution has hardly been proven. At best some species change, but no new species are ever evolved. I know this is upsetting to intellectuals worldwide but it is the unfortunate truth. I'm under the impression that a great deal of evolution/big bang research is simply job security. Results of studies can be interpreted to the researchers liking and that could likely be what we are seeing.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
The Big Bang was an expansion of space, not an expansion in space.

When you get your head around that, you'll see that nothing's wrong here.

Oh God, this.

Listen to this Guy.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir