I am confused. I have Guitar Rig 4 and it's just fine. But I keep reading that people download cab impulses and then replace the ones in Guitar Rig (or amplitube or freeamp or whatever they are using).

Why?

What is the point of replacing them? I think I must be missing something. are they "better" in some way, or more flexible? I just don't understand why you would want to replace NI's default cab impulse, with another cab impulse of the same cab type. Wont they just sound the same.

I must be missing the point somewhere, but I just don't get it. Can any of you (gently please!) explain why I am wrong and why I should indeed consider replacing them.

Thanks.
"Better" as in you (usually) get a more high quality sound out of it.

"More Flexible" since you get the ability to use more or less whatever cabinet and microphone you could ever want. Go check youtube out, it's a great help when it comes to this kind of thing. Best way of really hearing the difference, is to try it out yourself though.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Last edited by Kalo Hanaka at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by deano_l
I am confused. I have Guitar Rig 4 and it's just fine. But I keep reading that people download cab impulses and then replace the ones in Guitar Rig (or amplitube or freeamp or whatever they are using).

Why?

What is the point of replacing them? I think I must be missing something. are they "better" in some way, or more flexible? I just don't understand why you would want to replace NI's default cab impulse, with another cab impulse of the same cab type. Wont they just sound the same.

I must be missing the point somewhere, but I just don't get it. Can any of you (gently please!) explain why I am wrong and why I should indeed consider replacing them.

Thanks.

You don't need to consider replacing them if you like what you get with Guitar Rig...

If you like the way Guitar Rig sounds then don't worry about it. The point of replacing the IR would be to attempt to get a different sound. If you find that you can't get a specific sound that you like with the NI impulses...then try some others. But if you CAN get the sound you like...no problem!

Most people who start out with recording fail to realize that the most important thing is to have an idea of what you want ahead of time. In other words you know already know the exact sound you're after...then try and achieve that. If you can reach your goal with your tools then you're good. If not, then you've highlighted an area that you might be able to expand upon. Approaching recording with this in mind will prevent you from chasing false "fixes" for problems that you haven't encountered. Just because someone else says something is better doesn't mean they have to be right, or that you have to agree.
Last edited by Gizzmo0411 at Feb 24, 2012,
"Better" is a subjective term. A lot of metalheads like the sound of GuitarHacks, or SPresHigh, or AsemRecto, because those particular impulses really sound like an SM57 getting blasted by a 4x10 cabinet. Also, in the case of SPresHigh in particular, these impulses tend to gel into a mix a lot better than...well, anything, really, aside from a real amp.

So if you're going for distorted, downtuned guitars, I would tell you that you're not gonna find anything that works with as little tweaking as these impulses do. But if you've done some tweaking and gotten Guitar Rig to mix, or if you're into a lighter genre, by all means, stick with what you know! Everything is relative in mixing.