Well I've incapacitated myself for 2 months, so I've decided to spend the usual time I'd practice guitar doing solely theory practice. so I'm wondering if you guys could just list a bunch of advanced theories i should read up on and make note of. or anything you find interesting to know, even if i will never use it in composition.

this would help me out a lot!
and it would help us a lot if you told us what you already know in terms of theory
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by mrkeka
and it would help us a lot if you told us what you already know in terms of theory

in a vague sense: chords, scales, modes, keys/changing keys, progressions, composition to a mediocre/advanced level. im talking about small individual theories with in music. i can't list everything, and it really doesn't matter if i know it or not. like one person might say, modulation, and then sub genres of theory with in modulation. another person might say syncopation etc.

just a list of things for me to search up and individually learn.
String Theory is interesting, you could learn that.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Occam's razor would be the top one for me.

Otherwise music theory is pretty cool.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by King Of Suede
String Theory is interesting, you could learn that.

Schroedinger's cat is an interesting one too

On a serious note, for the most part, theory in music is not a bunch of unrelated stuff... actually, most of it goes together. So what is your vague sense? Do you know how to harmonize the major scale? The minor scale? Can you sight read?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't see things in music as individual theories... I mean, modulation is a part of harmony, syncopation is rhythm, and so on
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
What mrkeka said. Just keep building, bro. Improve your sight singing, rhythm or melodies. Having a teacher from Berklee managed to teach me one thing, you can ALWAYS get better, even at the lowest level. By that, I mean how good does your treble clef look, bud? How about your bars and rests? Theory is, in my opinion, an art for perfectionists. You can never truly perfect an area of it but can always get damn close. Just keep improving what you know, man. Buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Self-Study/dp/0739036351/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330098324&sr=1-7 and read through.

Hope this helps ya out some
Quote by jsync
in a vague sense: chords, scales, modes, keys/changing keys, progressions, composition to a mediocre/advanced level. im talking about small individual theories with in music. i can't list everything, and it really doesn't matter if i know it or not. like one person might say, modulation, and then sub genres of theory with in modulation. another person might say syncopation etc.

just a list of things for me to search up and individually learn.

Go learn the Coltrane change.

Best,

Sean