Page 1 of 2
Hello, My name's tyler, I've been comeing to this forum off and on for a while, And I've returned with a question; What're the odds of a band, rock n roll band, getting it's feet off the ground like a band say; the doors, Zeppelin, pink floyd etc. Actually makeing it nowadays, for instance, Say All the members of The doors were born at a later date, say in the 90's and were just now The age they were at in the 60's. Is there any chance you think that they could ever make it? Or has music truely come to it's platue as far as rock n roll is concerned? I ask this because, Obviously, I'm a Bluesy-rock kinda guitar player, and I'm beggining to wonder if i'm wasteing my time, Thanks for the feed back in advance
My Gear
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
Quote by tyler77156
Hello, My name's tyler, I've been comeing to this forum off and on for a while, And I've returned with a question; What're the odds of a band, rock n roll band, getting it's feet off the ground like a band say; the doors, Zeppelin, pink floyd etc. Actually makeing it nowadays, for instance, Say All the members of The doors were born at a later date, say in the 90's and were just now The age they were at in the 60's. Is there any chance you think that they could ever make it? Or has music truely come to it's platue as far as rock n roll is concerned? I ask this because, Obviously, I'm a Bluesy-rock kinda guitar player, and I'm beggining to wonder if i'm wasteing my time, Thanks for the feed back in advance

If you enjoy it you aren't wasting your time.

If you are doing it solely for fame, you are.
The opportunities for rock style musicians to make it as big as bands like Led Zeppelin and The Doors are certainly fewer than in the 1960's, although that's mostly because today's typical music listener prefers dubstep and dance-pop.

However, there is still a large market for musicians to get their music out there, because while tastes have changed, the internet now allows anybody to spread their music.

So you're not wasting your time making music, because there's still several billion people who have the capability to find whatever it is they want, and chances are somebody will want what you do, however at this stage there probably won't be a giant band like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones on the radio again, but tastes change, so it's possible
Quote by a_7_x

Wise words.

But listen to yourself TS. You are implying you want to make it in a field where it all depends on the subjective tastes of an audience. You can't go in into it with high expectations.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by a_7_x

+1

If passion is what drives you, music is the reward itself.
Every good riff has already been taken by Jimmy Page. Every riff you come up with was also thought up by Jimmy Page previously, then ditched for not being good enough

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, the odds are against you, as are the odds of incredible success in pretty much any endeavor.

That being said, you have the same shot as anyone else, and SOME make it every year.

Giving up because it's unlikely increases the odds against you dramatically...

One thing you might note...The harder you work, the 'luckier' you tend to get!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Only if you up your spelling a notch
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
I wish people would stop praying for a classic rock revival.... trends change, that's the it always has been and always will be. We've had Zeppelin/Floyd/Stones and can continue enjoying that if we want to... or bands that have a similar sound to these but aren't as successful.

Pretty much the fact is not as many people like it, but it doesn't mean people aren't out there making it. It's up to you to find it.
Quote by shwilly
Every good riff has already been taken by Jimmy Page. Every riff you come up with was also thought up by Jimmy Page previously, then ditched for not being good enough

Jimmy Page sucks.

OT: There probably won't be another huge band like the ones listed. The closest you could get with that would be Muse, Avenged Sevenfold, Nickelback, and Foo Fighters.

If you are really asking if you are wasting your time with music because you may not get famous, then you already have your answer.
You're not thinking outside the box mate. Rock n Roll is dead. But get a synth player in your band and then you can become some post electronic rocknroll revival group and all the hipsters will be all over you.
Is this a genuine question?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
well, why would you listen to wolfmother when you can listen to Led Zep? It's not that classic rock revival bands are inherently bad (most just are) but that it's been done, both before and better.
Quote by kaptink
well, why would you listen to wolfmother when you can listen to Led Zep? It's not that classic rock revival bands are inherently bad (most just are) but that it's been done, both before and better.

Unfortunately, you're right.
Quote by shwilly
Every good riff has already been sloppily stolen by Jimmy Page. Every riff you come up with was also thought up by Jimmy Page previously, then ditched for not being good enough Jimmy Page is the most overrated guitarist to walk this planet

Fixed for you brah, and I agree.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Fixed for you brah, and I agree.

Totes this.

He had some good and catchy riffs in Zep, but that's really it. He's good on an acoustic, just don't let him near a Les Paul and a Marshall. >.>
Form an underground screamo band and play house shows in your free time, you'll be much happier. Become a history teacher by day, party-going bandmate by night.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Jimmy Page sucks.

You'll never get anywhere, TS, if you decide you're going to fail beforehand.
I think you'll need to wait 30/40 years to see what music from now has made it through the ages. Remember there was a lot of awful bands during the 60s that have been long forgotten, same thing will happen in the future for bands out now. Saying that back then it was all new to some extent. Music also changes too, that if say Nikki Minaj released a song in the 60s it wouldnt be as popular as it is today? Im rambling on now.....
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

i'm not trying to become famous, and I would never simply quit playing because i can't become famous, i'm simply saying i love these bands, and love the way majority of their storys for creating their bands and meeting, and what they did before. more so i was wondering how much the odds are stacked against us, not that i'd ever quit simply from that fact.
My Gear
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
Quote by tyler77156

And if you don't do anything new, then I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think we have warn out bluesey-guitar thing And if The Doors or Led Zepplin were born later, their music would be drastically different.
Quote by rockfan7

And if you don't do anything new, then I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think we have warn out bluesey-guitar thing And if The Doors or Led Zepplin were born later, their music would be drastically different.

Good spelling.
OT:
There isn't going to be another Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/The Doors, because there has already been a Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/The Doors. Gotta create something new, and fresh brah. Those bands were great because they were (mostly) unique in their songwriting and did it well. Do that, and people will take notice.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by Dory77
Good spelling.
OT:
There isn't going to be another Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/The Doors, because there has already been a Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/The Doors. Gotta create something new, and fresh brah. Those bands were great because they were (mostly) unique in their songwriting and did it well. Do that, and people will take notice.

I don't care about Led Zeppelin enough to fix my error And way to steal the basic idea of my post.
Quote by rockfan7
I don't care about Led Zeppelin enough to fix my error And way to steal the basic idea of my post.

I'm like the Led Zeppelin of this thread; I slightly change your work, then rebrand it as my own.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by Dory77
I'm like the Led Zeppelin of this thread; I slightly change your work, then rebrand it as my own.

right, however the thread is getting off track... so you say the odds are bad, how about simply just makeing a living?
My Gear
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
Form a deathcore band, that doesn't happen to be the trend, at all.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
Form a deathcore band, that doesn't happen to be the trend, at all.

It isn't.

Djent is.

Form a Djent band, buy a lot of PODs, and get an 8 string.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

Form a Djent band, buy a lot of noise gates, and get a noise gate.

FTFY.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by tyler77156
right, however the thread is getting off track... so you say the odds are bad, how about simply just makeing a living?

Still insanely hard, if you're only willing to stay in the 50 years old classic rock aesthetic.

Even actually innovative bands struggle for making a living from their music.
Everything has been done before, it pretty much cant get any heavier, weirder, or more unique...The Market is over saturated and overwhelmed with acts that end just as fast as they start. So the odds are heavily stacked against you! The only way the odds will be with you is if some sudden miracle destroys all current music as we know it and it basically starts over.

On the other hand...if music started going in reverse as in cleaner then it might get easier. Now a days its all about being heavy, weird, complex, and overly emotional....if you started reducing all that little by little i think it might catch on!
Well it probably would be big. Because if it weren't for those bands, rock wouldn't be here right now, so if people starting hearing it for the first time like they did back then, then yes it would take off. It would be brand new and fresh.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
*doesn't read thread

YES!!!!!!!!
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
The odds are about the same as they always have been.

For every guy who bought a guitar in the 60's and became famous, there are a thousand or more that bought a guitar and went on to become nobody.

Some of them are better than the guys who became famous, but they were just worse at promoting themselves and meeting people.
To become AS BIG as zep? A billion to one. Todays pop artists don't even come close.

But to become as big as some loser like Kanye Wes or Skrilex? That's still doable if you try hard. But Most likely rock and roll wont take you there. Maybe desert rock or some metal-hybrid could get you a good career if you played it right. But you probably wont become the next JP, nobody will.
see thats what i was thinking, music seems to be getting more simple again, many artists are singing very simple pop songs like the beatles or the monkeys would have, plus to many people in my generation the music is stuff they've never even heard before
My Gear
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
Page 1 of 2