Page 1 of 4
Hey there, just curious as to what albums you fine folk of the metal forum enjoy the production of and why.

Personally I've been really enjoying the production on the Sylosis album Edge of the Earth. It has a really big, natural sounding feel to it, not over polished at all.
Aside from my usual rants about how obscure stuff sounds better, I'd have to say for ultimate metal cheese it's got to be 'Painkiller'. Everything is just incredibly loud and ott. I had never head guitars wail in such a fashion before that... brilliance.

In terms of suiting an album, I'd have to say Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness. The organic sound really helps immerse yourself in the album.

And for bass sound : Atheist - Elements.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Dopethrone
In The Name of Suffering
To The Depths In Degredation
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I agree with the Primordial album, also The Cure's Disintegration, Warning's Watching From a Distance and LSD and the Search For God's self titled EP. All for different reasons.
If we're going non-metal too then Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless must be mentioned.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Also have to add in Portrait's newest album. Absolutely crystal clear, brilliant production job on it. Having metalblade's money on hand for studio time isnt always a bad thing!
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by eazy-c
If we're going non-metal too then Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless must be mentioned.

I don't get the fuss with loveless. I actually mentioned it on another forum today actually. I see it's influence, and I wouldn't dispute it, But I seem to prefer bands who get labelled MBV clones far more than I actually like MBV
Forgot about these guys in my post but Tetrafusion's albums and the new EP all have amazing production and sound on them. Very clear and crisp sounds those guys have.
Quote by eazy-c
To The Depths In Degredation

This, and by extension Fuebrarum's Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods as its a pretty similar sound.

Also Traced in Air, of course

EDIT: Listening back to Funebrarum and Infester together they aren't that similar, but I've always had them together in my mind.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by ctfod at Feb 24, 2012,
In Flames - Clayman
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Tenacious D - Tenacious D...

If you guys aren't talking about sound quality in an album, I don't know what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by Cheeselord
Sanitarium iz by SLAYER DUMBASS!!!!!

SLAYER FAN4LIFE!
I don't know about favorite but I've always dug bass heavy, fuzzy production jobs for extreme metal.

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia
Profanatica - Profanatitas De Domonatia
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha (both best and worst production at the same time)

I also like to here bands go against the norm for their particular subgenre production wise... That Profanatica is a good example and also:

Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ Crystal clear production on a black metal album

Also enjoy weird ass production like:

Adramelch - Irae Melanox
Last edited by Born Headless at Feb 24, 2012,
Burzum - hvis lyset tar oss
Infester - to the depths in degradation
Dead congregation - purifying consecrated ground
AMBER GRAY , GRIDLINK

it was recorded live and it's just so raw. . . yet it sounds so perfect, you can hear every nuance of the guitar chops and manic drumming, along with john chang's absolutely savage vocals . The bass i feel could be mixed with a bit more presence, but it still works like magic.
Quote by Born Headless
Profanatica - Profanatitas De Domonatia
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

Great picks. They both have similar form, too.

I think I'll go uber kvlt and say Ildjarn - Strength and Anger. And of course, there is the album whose production can never be denied: Burzum - Filosofem.
I've always loved the sound of none so vile. It's articulate enough so that each instrument has its own defined space, but it still sounds natural and very raw. Love the sound of the kick and snare too
St. Anger
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
I'm gunna throw Order From Chaos-Stillbirth Machine, it sounds equally mechanical and organic like a Giger painting, and really emphasized the vibe of that album well.Onward To Golgotha is up there as well for how rumbling and hellish it sounds.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
I'm gunna throw Order From Chaos-Stillbirth Machine, it sounds equally mechanical and organic like a Giger painting, and really emphasized the vibe of that album well.Onward To Golgotha is up there as well for how rumbling and hellish it sounds.

I might have predicted you would go for Order From Chaos, but I'd have thought you'd go for Mortal Throne of Nazarene over Onward... for Incantation.
Into the Depths.. really does the job marvelously for it..

I wish Unholy Domain was a tad clearer so I could tab it out... I already got most of Reincarnation haha

Hm.. production... TRITSIO's works great, same for An Anatomy of the Beast.. and I think that production for Slumber is just perfect for it
Quote by NotFromANUS
I might have predicted you would go for Order From Chaos, but I'd have thought you'd go for Mortal Throne of Nazarene over Onward... for Incantation.

Any of the first 3 Incantation records are top tier for me in every possible category, but Onward seems to have the most staying power,and I like it's relative thickness in comparison with the others production wise, though I wouldn't ever suggest that any of the 3 sound like on of the other, each album has appropriate, and well done production for what they tried to achieve.

Conqueror-Warcult Supremacy, and as NFA said Ildjarn-Strength And Anger are other contenders. Beherit-Electric Doom Synthesis,Cryptopsy-None So Vile,Kerasphorus-Cloven Hooves At The Holocaust Dawn, and Autopsy-Mental Funeral would all be contenders as well.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Scar Symmetry's Pitch Black Progress, in my opinion, strikes the perfect balance between raw, in-your-face power and a nice, clean polish.

Also, SYL's Alien. It's difficult to explain, but if you've ever heard it I don't think I need to.
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
Into the Depths.. really does the job marvelously for it..

I wish Unholy Domain was a tad clearer so I could tab it out... I already got most of Reincarnation haha

Hm.. production... TRITSIO's works great, same for An Anatomy of the Beast.. and I think that production for Slumber is just perfect for it

TRITSIO is a great album but I always felt the one thing that could be improved upon was the production. Love the tone and clarity but it's a bit thin. Perhaps the thin/hollow sound suits it best though, I can't decide...
haha I've always wanted to hear TRITSIO in With Fear's production and viceversa.. given they're quite... opposite of each other. With Fear's so crunchy
Quote by Stranglehold
And for bass sound : Atheist - Elements.

oh yes.

Aspid's Extravasation and Onslaught on Killing Peace are clean and yet raw/aggressive, especially with the guitar tone.

Loved the guitar tone/loudness/crunch on The Lamp of Thoth's debut too.
Solstice - New Dark Age
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence springs to mind. All thrash and death/thrash should aim for such production.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Kristian, if you dig that ripping death/thrash sound, you should check out Ares Kingdom - Incendiary. Extremely heavy, well written thrash.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Really? That never struck me as anything special, just kind of sounds like the generic morrisound sound...great album and everything, but not one I'd pick out for production.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Favorite non-metal production is Tool's Lateralus, for metal I'd say Opeth's Ghost Reveries for an "organic" sounding record and Strapping Young Lad's The New Black for a (for lack of a better word) "mechanical" sounding record.

You'd think Meshuggah would have their hands on that one, but as much as I love the band, I've really started to dislike the production on their albums. There's always SOMETHING wrong, be it the guitar tone (Obzen), the drum tone (Catch 33 and Obzen) or just weird-sounding mixes (Nothing, Chaosphere and to a much lesser extent DEI).
Emmure - Speaker Of The Dead

LOL

Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten sounds great.

╞══╬══╡

Ibanez RGR321EX w/ D-Activators
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by CoreysMonster
Strapping Young Lad's The New Black for a (for lack of a better word) "mechanical" sounding record

You think so? Of all SYL's material, The New Black has always been the release whose production I cared for the least. It's far from lifeless, but compared to the production on their other albums I've always felt that The New Black sounded kind of weak.
Page 1 of 4