Page 1 of 2
Any ideas of decent free amp emulator. Not expecting perfection without paying. Just want a basic distorted amp sound, anything remotely marshally will be fine. So, any suggestions?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
get audacity, then lepou plugins. heard theyre good, just downloaded them. or you can get reaper, its not free but if you just keep clicking still evaluating its free
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
will that allow me to play 'real time' e.g not recorded? And could you give some more instructions. Thanks so much for the help though!
nah, youll probably need something like amplitube, podfarm, or guitar rig. i use guitar rig most, but theyre all good.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
do you have to pay for them, and where can i download them from, guitar rig for example?
Quote by Varkunus
will that allow me to play 'real time' e.g not recorded? And could you give some more instructions. Thanks so much for the help though!

Reaper allows you to load a vst and listen while you play (monitor: on) , the last time I used Audacity it had not vst support, so you can listen only the record.

Look up in youtube reaper vst tutorial.
Quote by leigh596
nah, youll probably need something like amplitube, podfarm, or guitar rig. i use guitar rig most, but theyre all good.

Nope. You can use LePou in realtime. Download the LePou sims, LeCab 2.0 and the Guitarhacks impulses and you're good to go. I assume you have a suitable interface though?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

There seems to be some ignorance in this thread differentiating between "real time" and "stand alone"

Podfarm, Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc are Standalone, you don't need to host them in anything else in their own right.

Stuff like LePou amp sims CAN be used in "real time" but you just have to load them up in a DAW first.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
There seems to be some ignorance in this thread differentiating between "real time" and "stand alone"

Podfarm, Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc are Standalone, you don't need to host them in anything else in their own right.

Stuff like LePou amp sims CAN be used in "real time" but you just have to load them up in a DAW first.

He asked whether you can use them in real-time, not whether you can use them standalone But yeah. There is a program called VSTHost which allows you to load VSTs without using a DAW but there's not much point in it, what with Reaper and such.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
He asked whether you can use them in real-time, not whether you can use them standalone But yeah. There is a program called VSTHost which allows you to load VSTs without using a DAW but there's not much point in it, what with Reaper and such.

No, theres a point to it. Its called running a VST amp sim without having to load reaper. Saves Resources and such
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
No, theres a point to it. Its called running a VST amp sim without having to load reaper. Saves Resources and such

True that. But your PC would have to be seriously crap if it can't run Reaper, some sort of amp sim and an impulse loader without exploding
Quote by Cathbard

I use reaper + asio for all and Then my pedal board into my microphone in on the front of my pc.

I use reaper as my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I use it to mix, and to add eq/reverb. Has the ability to support draggin in a mp3. Lets you make multiple tracks (bass/guitar/drums in my usual, or SONG/Guitar). Using Lame to encode mp3s is an option here (i use it all the time). Also allows ZERO (as in 0, Nada) Latency (latency is the amount of time between hitting the note and hearing it through your monitors (i use head phones).

Get the right cord (stereo headphone jack to 1/4 inch mono) that will allow you to hook up your pedals or DIGITAL SOUND PROCCESSOR (I use a Zoom G3). I use my DSP to get the tones I want, play bass parts on a guitar (most DSP units will have a tone that is bassically a bass guitar emulator), also I use the drum simulator to make basic backing drums for songs/backing tracks. Plus my guitar pedals still sound good through it as well.

Reaper allows a free way to use your PC as a basic mixing station. It is essential to my home studio and to my practice routine (I have a hateful neighbor who has zero tolerance for noise any time of the day) You can hear clips of this set up on this video I made today.

http://youtu.be/0O02SKg7b2c
i downloaded VSTHost following lockwolfs advice, how do i get an amp emulator now and install it? Thanks everyone for all your replies
OK got amplitude running. Can I plug my guitar straight into my laptop through the mic input socket, or do I need some sort of midi converter?

Sorry I know absolutely nothing about these programmes!!!
OK i've bought 1/4 --> 1/8 adapter and loaded up amplitude but I'm not getting anything. I am plugging my guitar directly into the microphone port on my latop. Is there any reason why it's not working?
Quote by Varkunus
OK i've bought 1/4 --> 1/8 adapter and loaded up amplitude but I'm not getting anything. I am plugging my guitar directly into the microphone port on my latop. Is there any reason why it's not working?

Do yourself a favour and buy a proper Guitar Interface.

Quote by Twistedrock

I know. There are a few posts here though that seem to not understand the difference however.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 26, 2012,
So the answer is no to direct input?
Quote by Varkunus
So the answer is no to direct input?

Absolutely not.
You can probably get a cheap guitar to USB interface if you search around.
Quote by caw1
USB interfaces are shit man. I've been through 4 different brands still NOTHING works as well as reaper and my pedal board/DSP

How so, explain?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Why can I not directly plug into the mic port (probably a stupid question)?
Quote by ChemicalFire
How so, explain?

Specifically I have had Latency problems with ever usb interface. Most amp modeling software give me the same problem.

With Reaper I have no Latency.

*SHRUG* Maybe I am doing it wrong but all my shit works great.
I've never had latency problems with my UX1. It is a known issue for there to be latency in some cases but normally a set up issue and not an issue with the interface.

Quote by caw1
YOU CAN.... If you dl reaper.... plus ASIO and LAME Encoder.

ASIO is a set up for USB interfaces and LAME is an MP3 encoder, not sure WHY that'd help him.

You can in theory use mic plugs, but they just don't sound as good and you're more likely to have latency issues.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 26, 2012,
Quote by caw1
Specifically I have had Latency problems with ever usb interface. Most amp modeling software give me the same problem.

With Reaper I have no Latency.

*SHRUG* Maybe I am doing it wrong but all my shit works great.

urdoin'itwrong.jpg
Funny.

But seriously....

I spent $300ish dollars on Interfaces and NONE of them worked as well as Reaper... and Reaper is free.

No Latency is a big deal for me.
Quote by caw1
Funny.

But seriously....

I spent $300ish dollars on Interfaces and NONE of them worked as well as Reaper... and Reaper is free.

... REAPER is a DAW... you'd use an interface in conjuncture with a DAW. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're doing it wrong/don't know what you're talking about.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by caw1
Funny.

But seriously....

You are connecting your guitar directly to your sound card. I don't see how a change in the DAW you use would magicaly change the hardware.
I dont see why you need an interface if you can get 0 Latency with a DAW and your sound card.

I have never had an interface properly work for me. The few times I did it was with an amp simulator, that had poor quality recording software.

I really like Reaper. I like the sound I get recording the way that I do. Its FREE other than 1 cord you have to buy.
Quote by caw1
I dont see why you need an interface if you can get 0 Latency with a DAW and your sound card.

I have never had an interface properly work for me. The few times I did it was with an amp simulator, that had poor quality recording software.

I really like Reaper. I like the sound I get recording the way that I do. Its FREE other than 1 cord you have to buy.

You don't get it do you? Reaper is a piece of software, okay? An interface, is an external soundcard that is more suited for audio recording rather than audio playback. You probably had your ASIO buffer set too high or some shit
Quote by Cathbard

Unless you've got a monster sound card and a shit ton of memory to deal with small buffers you are gonna want some sort of pre-amplification. In which case it's cheaper to go with an external interface.
Quote by Twistedrock
You don't get it do you? Reaper is a piece of software, okay? An interface, is an external soundcard that is more suited for audio recording rather than audio playback. You probably had your ASIO buffer set too high or some shit

When I bought my PC i bought it for the RAM, Hard drive space, sound and video card capabilities. I run Win 7. 4 Gigs of Ram. 500gb in HD space. I bought it with the intention of recording.

Yes I know Reaper is FREE software. I bought interfaces. I had no luck.

But as far as Reaper goes I get consistent recordings. It gives me multi-track capabilities. It gives me effects (a very wide variety). It allows you to export as a MP3. It never crashes (at least on me).

So I ask again. If you can get recordings and play back through your pc with nothing more than FREE software and a $10 cord why recommend that he buy an interface? Unless he's building a studio (which hes not if the word free is even considered) it will do fine for most of the recordings he will probably do.

I guess you can call me an idiot. I omitted the piece of equipment every one said I needed, and went for free software. And it works like a charm. I can record anything that can be inputted through the Microphone Jack on my pc with clarity and the ability to edit and modify gives me nearly a full home studio with just my rig and my pc.

Is this the best set up ever? No.
Was it Free? Damn near.
holy shit, just download reaper, and get a behringer interface.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by caw1
Yes I know Reaper is FREE software. I bought interfaces. I had no luck.

But as far as Reaper goes I get consistent recordings. It gives me multi-track capabilities. It gives me effects (a very wide variety). It allows you to export as a MP3. It never crashes (at least on me).

No one is saying not to use Reaper, you are just confusing hardware and software terms. Reaper is a DAW, it serves as your software component. It is not an interface. The interface is your hardware component, which you use in combination with your DAW. You dont use one or the other, you use both.

Quote by caw1
So I ask again. If you can get recordings and play back through your pc with nothing more than FREE software and a $10 cord why recommend that he buy an interface? Unless he's building a studio (which hes not if the word free is even considered) it will do fine for most of the recordings he will probably do.
The point of an interface is to give you a good set of connections to your computer that are meant for recording. Your computer's sound card is not meant for it, and is not the best way to do it. No one is saying that you cannot plug a cable into your computer's line input and record that way, people are saying that it is not the best way to do it. An interface gives you inputs that are meant to interface with the levels of a guitar, gives you options for using an xlr input for a microphone, some have MIDI capability, and it has options for playback and listening that your computer does not. An interface is the correct way to do things, and will get you better results when used in combination with your DAW.

Quote by caw1
I guess you can call me an idiot. I omitted the piece of equipment every one said I needed, and went for free software. And it works like a charm. I can record anything that can be inputted through the Microphone Jack on my pc with clarity and the ability to edit and modify gives me nearly a full home studio with just my rig and my pc.
You've replaced hardware with software, which do two different things. You think that using Reaper is a replacement for an interface, which it is not. So are you an idiot? No, you have found a setup that works for you. But are you confused and mis-informed? Yes, it would appear that you are calling things by incorrect names and confusing people who are trying to learn by giving them misleading information.

I would also like to point out that Reaper is not free. If you continue to use it past the 30 day trial period, you are required to buy a license. It does not cripple itself and allows you to keep using it, but it is not freeware.
Quote by caw1
Do i need to give you video/photo proof of this working so you can see it?

No. I use Reaper aswell. But not using an interface is the best way to do it. It's like saying 'I could get a guitar, but putting strings on my broom is cheaper'
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by caw1
USB interfaces are shit man. I've been through 4 different brands still NOTHING works as well as reaper and my pedal board/DSP

Says the person running their guitar pedalboard into the 'mic in' port of a PC and considering it a decent way to record...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Page 1 of 2