Poll: What of the latest tech do you own?
Poll Options
View poll results: What of the latest tech do you own?
Desktop Computer
89 53%
Laptop Computer
115 68%
Smart phone
74 44%
Tablet
19 11%
None of the above (???)
8 5%
Voters: 168.
Page 1 of 3
I've been strongly considering buying a tablet recently, and I've been wondering... what of the latest tech devices do you currently own?

I've only got a laptop at the moment, but plan on upgrading to a smart phone in the coming months when I get my upgrade, and buying a tablet when I can get some money.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 24, 2012,
Everything bar the tablet, I don't see the point in them at all. My laptop does it all, more and better.
I have a laptop and a desktop computer but neither are up to date.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
I also never intend to buy a 3D tele, unless every TV has it built in anyway.
When did UG add the multi-pick poll options?

^ And I agree, they just seem like a massive waste of money.
All of the above, in multiples.

I know, geek alert!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by behind_you
My TV still looks like this:

Sad, I know.

So does mine, I remembered my family got this ~14" monster of a TV I own back when I was in 1st grade for $99. I also just got rid of my CRT monitor a few months ago.

Oddly enough, I'm majoring in Computer Science

Quote by edgeyyz
When did UG add the multi-pick poll options?

^ And I agree, they just seem like a massive waste of money.

They've been around forever dude lol
I have a laptop and smartphone, but they are both 3/4 year old technology and it has progressed a lot since 09.

That said, phone contract is done in December and the laptop is dying, so a nice upgrade to a iPhone5 and Macbook air in the near future is in the works.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by RPGoof
So does mine, I remembered my family got this ~14" monster of a TV I own back when I was in 1st grade for $99. I also just got rid of my CRT monitor a few months ago.

Oddly enough, I'm majoring in Computer Science
So am I
ggg1 ggg3

Tablets are crap.

It's like, the next phase of technology is in production but cause we are impatient and companies love profits, they made the tablet and pretended it was the next step. **** off.
Macbook Pro, and a new iPod touch. My phone is broken :/

And have a year old Samsung TV.

My brother has an iPad, it's really cool, but I doubt I will get one in the near future.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
new laptop. i stopped using desktops as my laptop is good enough to do all i need.
id like a smartphone when i have the money.
don't see the point of tablets.
now extra flamey
Quote by a_7_x
Tablets are crap.

It's like, the next phase of technology is in production but cause we are impatient and companies love profits, they made the tablet and pretended it was the next step. Fuck off.

This. Here's the thing. My 5pound laptop can do EVERY single fucking thing that tablet can do. Here's the other thing. Since my laptop is less than 2 years old, it can also do those things better and faster. A tablet is a shitty, finger-interface computer. It lacks power and memory, when compared to any laptop. Fuck tablets!

CrazySamEdit: Oh, and I'm studying computer science. I know a little bit about computers, I'd say.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 24, 2012,
I have an old shitty laptop, an old shitty broken computer, a phone that's like 5 years old, a 8n year old 14 inch analogue tv and a £40 mp3 player. All them do what I want them to (expect the broken pc lawl) and I couldn't be happier with them.
Not much really, even though I love tech and have a degree in electronic engineering...

The only thing that qualifies is my desktop PC, but then it's two years since I built it. Just over a year since I put my current graphics card in, and nearly a year since the last time I upgraded anything (PSU). So really, even though it's a powerful machine, just about everything in it is a generation behind by now.

My laptop is about 5 years old and senile.

I barely use my mobile, so I didn't see the point in getting an expensive smartphone

And I don't see the point in tablets.
I'll repost what I put in the other thread: tablets are just retarded laptops, bought by people for no reason other than to flash their stupidity in other's faces in the name of style. My laptop cost me £400 and can do absolutely everything the tablet can do almost infinitely better.

This image sums up technology at the moment:

Edit: Holy huge image batman!
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by RPGoof
They've been around forever dude lol

I swear to god I've never seen one before.
I have the latest ipod, but it's the one with the lowest capacity.
My laptop is from 2010, so it's not the latest thing.
I just recently got a smart phone after having some lame flip phone for 5 years. My desktop computer is from 2009 ( I have no laptop). I have a flat screen HDTV that I got around late summer of last year, and that's about as up to date as I am.
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at Feb 24, 2012,
A 1GHz processor with 512mb of RAM, running a linux OS with a Firefox browser is all you need. I can write parallelly distributed algorithms across shared memory (same machine, multiple cores) and message passing (a network of computers) paradigms and I can tell you that you don't really need the latest and the greatest technology unless you play games. Most people just go on the internet, look at a couple of pictures/videos, and play some music. I'm happy with my little 10" netbook.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by soundgarden1986
I just recently got a smart phone after having some lame flip phone for 5 years.
Quit dissing my flip phone, you jerk!
To those who are bashing tablets:

Despite my laptop being reasonably portable as far as laptops go, I never take it anywhere. I've got it set up on my desk hooked up to so many things, I should really just have a desktop. My dream setup would be a powerhouse of a desktop for music production and gaming, and a tablet for around the house, for basic internet use and the applications, as well as taking to class. Tablets are way more portable than laptops, turn on instantaneously, have much longer battery life, and they run a different operating system. I think it would be awesome to be able to sit down with the family watching TV, while surfing the web on the tablet, or using it for recipes in the kitchen, or reading the news on in the morning. I prefer the notion of a tablet and a nice desktop, rather than a laptop to carry around.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
This. Here's the thing. My 5pound laptop can do EVERY single fucking thing that tablet can do. Here's the other thing. Since my laptop is less than 2 years old, it can also do those things better and faster. A tablet is a shitty, finger-interface computer. It lacks power and memory, when compared to any laptop. Fuck tablets!

CrazySamEdit: Oh, and I'm studying computer science. I know a little bit about computers, I'd say.

My tablet weighs 15 oz...and with the coupon I had cost $119 (B&N Nook Color, dual booting with Android Gingerbread.)

And I didn't buy it to replace my laptop, I bought it because it's light and convenient for doing what i need to and it has far better battery life than most laptops.

Sure a laptop is more powerful, that's not the point...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I've got a macbook pro for school and recording, and an iphone 4 for my phone. I'm interested to see what the ipad 3 looks like, since i travel a lot and with my macbook getting more and more expensive studio software on it, i may end up investing in either an ipad 3 or a macbook air as my travel/commuter computer, and keep my current macbook in the pseudo-desktop role it is now.

And yes, im an apple fanboy. dealwithit.gif

EDIT:

Quote by RPGoof
To those who are bashing tablets:

Despite my laptop being reasonably portable as far as laptops go, I never take it anywhere. I've got it set up on my desk hooked up to so many things, I should really just have a desktop. My dream setup would be a powerhouse of a desktop for music production and gaming, and a tablet for around the house, for basic internet use and the applications, as well as taking to class. Tablets are way more portable than laptops, turn on instantaneously, have much longer battery life, and they run a different operating system. I think it would be awesome to be able to sit down with the family watching TV, while surfing the web on the tablet, or using it for recipes in the kitchen, or reading the news on in the morning. I prefer the notion of a tablet and a nice desktop, rather than a laptop to carry around.

This EXACTLY sums up my philosophy about tablets. They're not supposed to be main computers, theyre supposed to be supplemental aids
NOPE
Last edited by Nakon14 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by edgeyyz
I swear to god I've never seen one before.

All I have is a laptop. There's no need for me to have the gadgets unless it's to say I have it.
STಠ_ಠ
I have all of them but a tablet. Although I did get my buddy an iPad, and he loves the thing.

Might get one for myself if my laptop craps out.
my desktop is horribly out of date.... should really get a new one. Can't even play LoL without my frames being atrocious.
hue
imo people should have a powerful computer for non-mobile applications and a smartphone for mobile applications. In the previous sentence, application refers to the actual meaning of the word, not "app."
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I've got a Dell laptop, a Dell tower, an iPad, and an iPhone.

Yeah, guess I'm kind of a tech whore.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by RPGoof
Tablets are way more portable than laptops,

You can't throw a 5pound laptop in your backpack? Then get a bigger backpack!

Quote by RPGoof
turn on instantaneously,

I never turn my laptop off.

Quote by RPGoof
have much longer battery life,

Get a larger battery. Or quit being lazy and throw the cord into your backpack. I'm at school for 4-6 (sometimes 7) hours every day. I still have about 30% battery life after that time.

Quote by RPGoof
and they run a different operating system.

They're all either basic copies of Windows or Macs with slight modifications. In other words, "different operating system" isn't really true. Windows use Windows VB coding, while Macs use a Unix-based system. Point is, a different OS is about as exciting to me as eating a shitty sandwich.

Quote by Arby911
My tablet weighs 15 oz

15oz vs. 5pounds. I don't see the big deal about that.

Quote by Arby911
...and with the coupon I had cost $119 (B&N Nook Color, dual booting with Android Gingerbread.)

So? Price is irrelevant. Besides, most tablets cost somewhere around $300-500.

Quote by Arby911
and it has far better battery life than most laptops.

(See above.)

Quote by Arby911
Sure a laptop is more powerful, that's not the point...
It kind of is.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You can't throw a 5pound laptop in your backpack? Then get a bigger backpack!

I never turn my laptop off.

Get a larger battery. Or quit being lazy and throw the cord into your backpack. I'm at school for 4-6 (sometimes 7) hours every day. I still have about 30% battery life after that time.

They're all either basic copies of Windows or Macs with slight modifications. In other words, "different operating system" isn't really true. Windows use Windows VB coding, while Macs use a Unix-based system. Point is, a different OS is about as exciting to me as eating a shitty sandwich.

But iPads are fun.

Honestly, since I got mine, I never use my laptop. There's no reason to.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Sam, tablets are all about the form factor and not about intense usage. There is a reason why a lot of people are adopting it. Precisely because they are NOT computer savvy, the tablet is the right choice. It's much simpler and cleaner. They don't need to run complex programs. A laptop still has some bulk to it, and it's not as easy as carrying a piece of paper around.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^I'm pretty computer savvy. I'm a computer science major, and I work summers as a software engineer. I know computers.

Yet, I use an iPad because they're easy and fun
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

I have a laptop and smart phone. I also have a Kindle. I was going to include that as a tablet, but I wouldn't really call it one.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Precisely because they are NOT computer savvy
They should be, dammit!

Nah, seriously. I get all that. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for me. I've always been the guy who wants the most bang for my buck. If a tablet gets others the most bang for their buck, cool. It doesn't get me the most bang for my buck.

Plus, I like being an ornery jackass about tablets!
Page 1 of 3