Hey guys,
I recently bought Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 601 , it's a 60W combo amp.I noticed a lot of hiss and my tone is really muddy, so i decided to open it up.Turns out it hasn't been opened yet.I believe the tubes are old already.
The power valves are EL34 and pre amp ones are 12AX7.
It's the first tube amp i own and i read that different kind of tubes can chance your tone.
I'm looking for something like Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora's kind of tone,i know he uses Marshall JCM 2000 DSL but there's no info about the tubes.
Could you help me choose?
6V6 sound nice. I have those and EL34's in mine and I tend to keep it towards the 6V6 setting.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
And you f*cked up by getting a JCM series amp. They're Marshalls biggest failure. The only reason why all the famous guitarists sound good with them is because none of theirs have original parts. All Modded.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
Quote by RabidPikachu
6V6 sound nice. I have those and EL34's in mine and I tend to keep it towards the 6V6 setting.

Thanks.The 6V6 are power tubes right? what about pre amp tubes?
Also re-biasing is a must in this situation right?
can someone tell me if i have to re bias when switching from EL34 to JJ 6V6 S ?
Thanks
More than likely, yes, you will have to re-bias. If it's an EL34 amp it may or may not actually be able to take 6V6s. The screen resistors may not be right or it may run too high a voltage for the tubes. I'll leave the final say to someone like Cathbard, but I wouldn't think you'd be able to. Your best bet is to stick with EL34s.

The preamp tubes will probably have a bigger effect on your tone. JJ 12AX7s seem to do pretty well in Marshalls. They're a quality tube for sure. If you're willing to spend the extra cash to go NOS or used old tubes, you can usually do even better than new JJs. As for the power tubes, SED Winged C are pretty much the best new 34, but JJ aren't far behind, and they're about half the price.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I'd be wanting to change the screen resistor as well if converting to 6V6. I'd just put in good EL34's. SED =C= if you can afford them, JJ if you can't. Shuguang EL34's works surprisingly well in Marshalls too so if you are short of a quid don't disregard them.
In the preamp use JJ if you can't afford good NOS tubes.

Quote by RabidPikachu
And you f*cked up by getting a JCM series amp. They're Marshalls biggest failure. The only reason why all the famous guitarists sound good with them is because none of theirs have original parts. All Modded.

Broad sweeping statement there. The vertical input JCM800 2203 is one of the best amps Marshall ever made.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification