I have a laguna le 122, one of the cheapest guitars you can get lol and i play through a ux2 pod studio. now i'm not exactly sure if its my guitar holding me back because i've never really played on more expensive guitars other than a couple times at guitar center.

ive been playing guitar for about 2 years on and off now and playing full songs by bands like august burns reds.

would buying a new guitar, like at least 500+ help my speed and accuracy to a degree? or is it all for the tone?

i know the more practice the better, but would a better guitar actually help my learning? i'm getting into soloing and higher bpm
nope. some of the best songs were created on cheaper guitars (Polly by Nirvana and Stariway to Heaven on the infamous Harmony acoustic are two that come to mind).

We learn on cheap guitars for a reason. If we don't enjoy it, we aren't out 2000 bucks. Keep practicing and good luck!
many great musicians play or have played on unbranded guitars, because it's not the gear that makes you better(bob dylan for starts)

Theres only two reasons i can see that a more expensive guitar would be better(other than tone)

The action could probably get way lower. with better frets, better truss rod and better wood you can work on getting a super low action and that will help your speed and accuracy.

Annnddd cheaper guitars(in my experience) have much less difficulty warping than higher quality guitars.

So all and all, Buying a new guitar wouldn't help your learning. but It could make it a bit easier for you to hit more notes faster.

If none of this makes sense, it's 3:30 am. thats my excuse
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
gear can't hold you back if it's at least playable. which it sounds like it is.

there is always better gear no matter what you own.
it just feels like my action is kinda high. when i tilt the guitar i see tons of room for it to be lower. i've played on a guitar at guitar center that had way better action a while back and it seemed a lot easier to play clearer and hit the notes faster. but i was more of a noob back then lol so idk :P
Actually. If you got really good on a crappy guitar with high action like a crappy dreadnought and dodgy frets, you would be a monster on electric, lols!

It'll make it easier, definitely, there are really nice guitars in that range, but you should take some of that $500 and put it towards a nice setup of your guitar and see what it feels like first. I still have my crate starter pack guitar and just set it up recently, and it plays nicely.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
take your guitar and have a professional guitar tech set it up for you.

or

visit the set up thread that's stickied at the top of the page in the Electric Guitar section of the UG forums. jj1565 can probably help you set it up if you read the first part of the thread.
I think prs se customs are some of the most friendly guitars if thats the right word. How are the pickups on your guitar? Do you have an amp?
hmm just remembered, another reason why i was thinking about a new guitar. 22 frets isnt working for me anymore lol
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I think prs se customs are some of the most friendly guitars if thats the right word. How are the pickups on your guitar? Do you have an amp?

um to me the pick ups dont bother me at all for 1. i dont have experience playing with other ones. and 2 i play through my ux2 which makes my guitar sound decent lol. i do have 2 15 watt line 6 amps that are collecting dust though
Have you ever setup the guitar since you've owned it? If not, reasearch on how to do a setup, or take it to a shop an ask them what they think. If your action is too high, lower the bridge so that the strings are as close to the fret board as possibe without hitting while fretting.

Don't mess with the truss rod if you don't know what you are doing. Truss rod adjustment isn't for setting the action (height) of the stings, it's to counter the pull of the strings)

This is a great guitar book. With it, you can setup the guitar yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handbook-Ralph-Denyer/dp/0679742751/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt.
Quote by emmicKs
hmm just remembered, another reason why i was thinking about a new guitar. 22 frets isnt working for me anymore lol

If you don't know how to set up your guitar, you probably don't need 24 frets yet.
How is 22 not working for you?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
If you don't know how to set up your guitar, you probably don't need 24 frets yet.
How is 22 not working for you?

because a lot of the songs im playing require hitting the 24th fret. and bending the 22nd wouldn't give the correct sound for the song im learning right now specifically. i'm substituting a pinch harmonic in the solo and it doesn't sound good. so yes i do need 24 frets. your comparison is beyond retarded to be honest lol.
A cheap guitar with a Proper setup can be better than an expensive Guitar without a setup! The expensive guitar will sound better but the guitar which has been setup will be easier to deal with if its been balanced to your liking such as action etc. My advice is take it to a shop and get a proper setup on it done, or buy a Guitar Repair Guide and learn how to do it yourself(pays off in the long run...).
Quote by emmicKs
because a lot of the songs im playing require hitting the 24th fret. and bending the 22nd wouldn't give the correct sound for the song im learning right now specifically. i'm substituting a pinch harmonic in the solo and it doesn't sound good. so yes i do need 24 frets. your comparison is beyond retarded to be honest lol.

Just transpose it. Play it an octave down or something - you don't need another guitar.
kind of being a prick to Kyleisthename......just sayin' so if you need 24 frets just get a cheap ibanez>>>problem solved