Poll: Which to choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which to choose?
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
14 70%
Fender Modern Player Tele
6 30%
Voters: 20.
Need some help here. Looking for my first guitar and think I have it narrowed down to these two. Looking at the Telecaster! I have never played before and don't live anywhere near a shop to actually go and hear or see them so I will have to order online, and all of my info is either YouTube or Forums. I know the question goes a lot deeper than just which one, so just pick in general. Will probably play mostly country music. From what I can hear on the videos online, the CV just sounds better, but I know it also depends on the player and setup. I know this is a long read, but I could really use the help. Looking to order very soon, right now if I can decide. I love the look of the Honeyburst MP, but think I like the sound of the BSB CV. Have I just been watching bad videos of the MP, or does it just not sound as good. Are the pickups in the CV better and they just put the cheapest ones they had in the MP. Not sure what all to ask but any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance and can't wait to dive deeper into the forums.
Last edited by smokeykpt at Feb 24, 2012,
I think it is a mistake to buy without playing a guitar first. Most people in the review videos can make any guitar sound okay. One thing to check is the neck radius. Telecaster are known for a 9.5" radius. The classic vibe has a slightly smaller neck, if your fingers are short. Understand that the modern player has p-90s which are single coils as well so you may want to do research on the pickups of each. If you order online you will most likely be dissapointed, it is reality if you are a new player because the setup is generally bad. I would advise you to go to a shop even if you have to drive a little ways, I wish I would have.

good luck with your playing
The Fender Modern Player Tele Deluxe Thinline does indeed have P90s, but I would assume OP is talking about the more plain Tele, which has a HSS set up.

Either way, for 'mostly country music' I wouldn't pick either of the Modern Player Teles. Neither P90s or humbuckers are commonly used in country music' although they can be, it's something of an acquired taste. The classic country twang comes from a normal Telecaster bridge pickup.

If you want something that will sound good right away, go for the Classic Vibe. If you think you might want to start modding the guitar, get a Fender Standard Telecaster.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I think it is a mistake to buy without playing a guitar first. Most people in the review videos can make any guitar sound okay. One thing to check is the neck radius. Telecaster are known for a 9.5" radius. The classic vibe has a slightly smaller neck, if your fingers are short. Understand that the modern player has p-90s which are single coils as well so you may want to do research on the pickups of each. If you order online you will most likely be dissapointed, it is reality if you are a new player because the setup is generally bad. I would advise you to go to a shop even if you have to drive a little ways, I wish I would have.

good luck with your playing

Closest GC is a 2 hour drive, which is no problem because I am going that way next weekend anyway. The plan all along was to go there to look at and handle the guitars to see what felt best. So I wasn't overwhelmed when I got there, I have been researching online so I would only have a few to compare in the store instead of 100. After a couple of calls I have found out that particular GC doesn't stock, or will stock either guitar, so unfortunately I have decided to order blind and hope for the best.
Quote by MrFlibble
Either way, for 'mostly country music' I wouldn't pick either of the Modern Player Teles. Neither P90s or humbuckers are commonly used in country music' although they can be, it's something of an acquired taste. The classic country twang comes from a normal Telecaster bridge pickup.

This. Get the Squier, I have it and it's brilliant. Could do with some better pickups though.
With the Modern Player Tele, Fender achieved what I thought was impossible: making the Tele even uglier.

So get the Squier.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.