Hi, I'm looking for a speaker upgrade for my Laney VC30. The cleans are lovely, but the distorted sound could be better!

Also, I'm sure I need tubes replacing, as it's a bit noisy (had it a few years, but haven't done this yet) I'm a bit clueless on this, so any advice will be appreciated.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
what type of distortion are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not sure how to answer that, tbh. Nice thick rock sound? Not metal or anything. I use a ts9 to boost my drive, it sounds great but could be clearer.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
k, thanks

maybe a g12h30? lot of people seem to put them in vc30s.

Never tried a vc30 with an upgraded speaker, but knowing what they sound like, and assuming the bog standard g12h30 is in the same ballpark as the heritage 55Hz ones i have, it should work.

lots of other companies other than celestion do a version of them, too- tayden and eminence probably the best options in the UK (as weber and the like go for silly money here ). though i think eminence says not to put the wizard in an open-backed cab, so it might be out. unless you want to try something more greenbacky from them like the private jack or gb12 (celestion's greenback is technically underpowered for your amp, though i think they're coming out with a creamback this year which would be ok... haven't tried it, though).

that's probably given you more questions than answers, lol. but i'm guessing something greenbacky (just watch the wattage) or g12h30ish is probably the way to go. Assuming you mean bog-standard, classic rock style of distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok cheers, I'll look into them, speakers are straight swaps arent they?

What about the valves then, replace them all, or upgrade one or two?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Your signature says you have the 2x10 version of the VC30? in which case a 12 inch speaker won't fit, and you need to look at 10 inch speakers.

I use a G12H30 for my 1x12 VC30, and tonally it's a really good match for the amp, but i'm not really sure what the closest 10 inch alternative is... maybe the G10 greenback?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Yeah I realised that and yeah ok ill check that out.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
You could look into the Celestion G10N40. I got quite good results with it (distortion-wise) in comparison to other speakers.
The Jensen Falcon 10 might also be worth looking into. It's very dark for a 10"er, and gets along with distortion just fine. However, I found that it can be too dark for certain amps/purposes/players, particularly for cleans.

Other options (which I have not tried, but which look good on paper): Celestion V10, Celestion G10M, Eminence Ramrod, Warehouse Veteran 10, Jensen Tornado 10". The Ramrod in particular looks very very promising, and I'm dying to try one out.

The more traditional 10"-speakers like the Jensen C- or P-series probably won't cut it for you - they sound lovely clean, but will likely make your problems with distortion worse.

By the way, if you are primarily interested in distortion, consider swapping the amp - for the 1x12" or 2x12" model maybe (the 2x12" sounds great, btw). There's many 12" speakers that are good for distortion, and many flavours to choose from. There are very few 10" speakers that are good for distortion, and usually they fall behind 12"ers in that regard.
That "nice, thick rock sound"? 12"ers, most of the time. Nearly all of the time. Your amp might turn out to be a sinkhole for money, is all I'm saying.
apologies, i totally missed that it was the 2x10 version

yeah you can pretty much disregard everything i've said, then.

haven't tried very many 10" speakers. I've heard good things about celestion's 10" greenback (i think it's made in england, too), eminence does the ramrod (assuming you want a british voicing) and tayden does some 10" speakers, too.

EDIT: quail makes a good point too regarding 10" speakers and the cost. Generally speaking if I'm buying a combo which has a stock speaker I don't like, I want it to have as few speakers as possible as it costs less to swap them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2012,
I've determined I'm gonna stick with the speakers. I actually don't mind them THAT much, and cost effective wise I shall keep them.

I have been getting a hell of a lot of noise on my OD channel recently, and after a bit of Googling it seems as if I need to replace the tubes. Is it best to replace them all, do they have to be matched, and what are the best ones out there? Which ones are the preamp tubes, the 4 in the middle? Sorry for all the q's!

edit: http://thetubestore.com/12ax70ectyp.html whoops, site is in US. Not Uk.

I've heard the EH ones are good.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Mar 16, 2012,
what type of tone are you after? i'm not that well up on tubes, you might get better answers in the tube thread or the laney thread. EDIT: ah right you've already said what tone you're after. I'm guessing JJs would work for that, but as i said, i'm not that well up on tubes.

regarding pre versus power, the preamp tubes should say 12ax7 on them and the power amp tubes el84. the power tubes are probably a bit bigger, too.

i can't remember if the vc30 is cathode biased or not. power tubes probably should be matched. pre doesn't matter. power tubes might have to be biased (depending on the circuit design, which is why i said i couldn't remember if it was cathode biased). pre don't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 16, 2012,
Thanks, I'll make a post in the tubes thread. From other googling, it won't need biased.

Also, the humbuckers get so muddy on this amp from the LPCustom. Will 500k pots help? I'm thinking of selling it and getting a strat really.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Mar 20, 2012,
never actually tried switching pots on a guitar. i guess they might help a little
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everyone talks about the amp, but I've always found stock epiphone les pauls sounding muddy and slightly weak on ANY distorted amp/sound.

Dunno if you have stock pups in those or not, but maybe think of changing them out?

Clean sounds are often good with a good amp I found, but with distortion pickups can make quite a difference in.

Don't get me wrong, it might be the amp, but I have a laney vc 30 as well, and when boosted it sounds quite creamy.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 20, 2012,
Yeah the cleans sound dreamy on it. Just the OD is muddy as eck! Single coils are best I hear, but what humbuckers can I get to make it less muddy? I do have the stock ones in.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Hey I don't mean to jack this thread at all, but how does it do for rocky stuff. I'm still trying to find an alternative for my Hot Rod Deluxe that still has stellar cleans, but has a good drive channel.
No worries, it's really great for rock stuff.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Quote by fatback96
Hey I don't mean to jack this thread at all, but how does it do for rocky stuff. I'm still trying to find an alternative for my Hot Rod Deluxe that still has stellar cleans, but has a good drive channel.

traynor ycv40? kustom coupé? engl screamer?

Quote by vacant_pistol
Yeah the cleans sound dreamy on it. Just the OD is muddy as eck! Single coils are best I hear, but what humbuckers can I get to make it less muddy? I do have the stock ones in.

you can get plenty of tighter humbuckers (heck i'd argue the ones aimed at tightness are probably tighter than singles). if you're using the stock epi pickups that might be the problem.

since you're in the UK, look into catswhisker and guys like that. you can get handwound pickups for ~£50 or so a pickup. I haven't tried them, though, but have heard good things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know a guy who does setting up guitars and repairs etc. So I'll ask him, he says tonerider ones are great. I've never heard of the catswhisker guy before. Will look into it though.

I want to replace all the tubes as I feel it's time as I've had it a few years and haven't done it. I'll put a Russian Electroharmonix 12AX7 in V2. (Google searching for better distortion) so which other ones do I put in, or do I change them all to that? Buy stock ones for V1,3 I'll look into pickups and pots change afterwards to clean up my sound even more, but for now I really need to rid of the noise.

edit: well i went all out and got all 3 of them.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Mar 28, 2012,
An update, I've bought an empty 2x12 cab, and also got a pair of 8ohm G12H speakers. As well as upgrading the preamp and power tubes in the amp. Should have everything by next week. Can't wait! It should sound monster. If I'm still not happy with the sound (I doubt it) then I could just sell the amp and get a different head to go with the cab.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Mar 28, 2012,
yup

should sound good
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Possibly a retarded question here. But I've got a 2x12 cab on the way and a set of G12H speakers, which are 8ohm. On the back of my amp, for the internal speakers it's currently set at 8ohm and plugged in, and there's another hole next to it for the extension cabinet, but the switch goes to 4ohms. Have a tarded this up? Or can I just unplug the current speakers and use that input rather than the 'extension cab' at 4?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/scottsguitarexchange/100_1426.jpg (on the right hand side)
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Bump for Q.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
is the overall cab 8 ohm or is each speaker 8 ohm?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought an empty cab (a marshall one) and each speaker ill be putting in is 8ohm.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
k

if you wire them in parallel you could plug into the 4 ohm input. two 8 ohm speakers in parallel equal 4 ohms

EDIT: which marshall cab is it? it might be parallel already
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 31, 2012,
could you give me a close-up of the back panel?

it's going to be either series or parallel. if it's got mono/stereo capability it's probably parallel, apparently (not sure, but this is what i was told) they have to be in parallel to allow mono/stereo operation.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, assuming that's the same as yours is, it looks like you'll be alright. it looks like the mono input has them wired in parallel (for 4 ohms overall, so set your amp to the 4 ohm setting), and you can also plug into either speaker singly at 8 ohms.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?