Was reading this article earlier and wondered...

https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

I'd describe it as prominently successful, but mostly happy I guess... Kind of makes me scared that I might be wasting my time while a lot of other people are creating there own success... I mean what good am I doing? What are you doing?

If maybe you were to die tomorrow, would you say that you've lived as well as you possibly could have in the time you'd been given? I personally wouldn't.
^ Can't say I disagree with that.

Quote by Greenie_777
Achieving what you want to achieve through hard work no matter what that goal is.

I've heard from a few people that once they reached the goal they'd been working so hard for, they realized it wasn't what they wanted after all.
Quote by Greenie_777
Achieving what you want to achieve through hard work no matter what that goal is.

This is the best definition. There's no objective criteria for a "well-lived life". All that matters is that you're happy with your own achievements.
Quote by Piñata

I've heard from a few people that once they reached the goal they'd been working so hard for, they realized it wasn't what they wanted after all.

Sometimes the chase is better than the catch, and the experience was worth it, even if they aren't happy with the result.
Last edited by sashki at Feb 24, 2012,
Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll obviously
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I think it depends on the individual and their goals and priorities. For some people, having a stable job and supporting a family would leave them satisfied, whereas for someone like me that kind of life seems unfulfilling.

Seeing as how I am about to begin my military career, I would say that having success in that area of my life would be quite fulfilling.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by sashki

Sometimes the chase is better than the catch, and the experience was worth it, even if they aren't happy with the result.

I'm afraid you might be really surprised if you read the article and see what the number one regret of the dieing actually is >_>
How many giraffes you own by the end of it.

I already got 2, how many do you have TS?
The impact you had on other people's lives, how you will be remembered and how happy you are are probably the things I'd consider to be the most important in dictating if someone had a great life. Going by that, no, I have not live my life how I would have liked to live it.
Quote by Piñata
I'm afraid you might be really surprised if you read the article and see what the number one regret of the dieing actually is >_>

I have read that article. I don't think it's possible to have no regrets when the end is in sight. You always feel like you could've done something differently.
I think the whole "achieve your goals through determination and hard work, no matter what they are" is a bit of a westernized philosophy that's probably not as applicable to people in non-capitalist societies. People from China would probably say something about contributing to society, helping their family and being a good parent.
Quote by sashki
I have read that article. I don't think it's possible to have no regrets when the end is in sight. You always feel like you could've done something differently.

yeah but while the grass is always greener on the other side, the exception is I've never heard someone regret spending too much time with their kids/spending too much time helping others.

but I do think it's possible to have no regrets. you simply choose not to regret it. you don't really regret things for the sake of themselves, just for the judgements made about them. and that's within your power to change.
#DTWD
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
I think the whole "achieve your goals through determination and hard work, no matter what they are" is a bit of a westernized philosophy that's probably not as applicable to people in non-capitalist societies. People from China would probably say something about contributing to society, helping their family and being a good parent.

So wanting to contribute to society, helping your family and being a good parent isn't a goal?
Quote by Greenie_777
So wanting to contribute to society, helping your family and being a good parent isn't a goal?

I think he's just saying the phrasing/the way you're framing it sounds really Western. achieving your goals and working hard will directly or indirectly contribute to society or your family or parenting. but the where the emphasis lies shows a difference in values and priorities.
#DTWD
Just be happy and not have regretted anything.

Like TS will have regretted copying my thread. Both his knee caps will regret it anyway.

Quote by rockfan7
How many giraffes you own by the end of it.

I already got 2, how many do you have TS?

lol only 2, did you just start out or something?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

lol only 2, did you just start out or something?

They had 30 babies why you were typing that.
I have a mountain of regrets already, so either I'm not doing too well or I've taken too many risks... but then again if I lived my life without taking any risks how is that living at all?

Now I'm confused.

Quote by Kensai

Like TS will have regretted copying my thread. Both his knee caps will regret it anyway.

Only thing I've ever copied was English coursework from wiki. No threads.
Quote by Piñata
I have a mountain of regrets already, so either I'm not doing too well or I've taken too many risks... but then again if I lived my life without taking any risks how is that living at all?

Now I'm confused.

Only thing I've ever copied was English coursework from wiki. No threads.

I wish I had the balls to take at least some risks, I'll tell you how is a life without taking risks, boring, lonely and sad.
A life in which you are active and live rather than stay passive and basically do nothing.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Life's meaningless so it's down to us to give our existence meaning, if I die feeling as though my life had meaning then I would feel that my life was ''well lived''.
Doing whatever makes you happy. Despite what others say.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by jaybsp
Life's meaningless so it's down to us to give our existence meaning, if I die feeling as though my life had meaning then I would feel that my life was ''well lived''.

succinct, but i agree

for instance, though i personally feel religion can be rather brain washy for some people, it does give some people a sense of "meaning" to life.
Quote by Greenie_777

What if your goal is to instigate a global nuclear holocaust?

OP: I would define a well-lived life as one in which a person's virtue-potential is maximized. That may sound kind of armchair-philosophy-gay but it's better than the guy who wants global nuclear genocide, that's for damn sure.

'nuff said.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212