So a friend of mine is looking for a good hard rock / metal bass guitar. We have checked out the Musicman but we were wondering what would you bass players suggest. We'd spend max 2K on the guitar. Any ideas? Thanks!

You really need to be a lot more specific than that, otherwise you're going to get a hell of a lot of these sort of replies:

Quote by Black Ox
Damn $2000? Get a Spector.

which have absolutely nothing to do with what bass your friend should buy, but are more of a "if I had 2k, this is what I'd buy!"

That's irrelevant to you. Sure, Spector make some nice basses, but so do countless other companies. Just because a Spector works for that guy, doesn't mean it'll work for you.

You need to understand that unlike guitar, there's no such thing as a bass made for a particular genre. It really depends on the sort of sound you actually want to get out of it. The best thing to do is post some YouTube clips or something that indicate the sort of sound you want, then we can be more helpful.
Quote by Ziphoblat

You really need to be a lot more specific than that, otherwise you're going to get a hell of a lot of these sort of replies:

which have absolutely nothing to do with what bass your friend should buy, but are more of a "if I had 2k, this is what I'd buy!"

That's irrelevant to you. Sure, Spector make some nice basses, but so do countless other companies. Just because a Spector works for that guy, doesn't mean it'll work for you.

You need to understand that unlike guitar, there's no such thing as a bass made for a particular genre. It really depends on the sort of sound you actually want to get out of it. The best thing to do is post some YouTube clips or something that indicate the sort of sound you want, then we can be more helpful.

Alright thanks for the tip. I'm not bass players and I have never really looked into it on how it works but I'll take your word for it.
Why do so many guitarists and drummers come here to ask help for their bass players?? Are we that shy in the wild?

Use bait!

Bass player looks nervous!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
Quote by askrere
Why do so many guitarists and drummers come here to ask help for their bass players?? Are we that shy in the wild?

Use bait!

Bass player looks nervous!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...

Haha that made me laugh, no he is not shy or at least I don't think so. He just doesn't want to create an account to ask a single question and since I've got an account I don't mind asking.
2K? Hell, get Cataldo JAEbird with thunderbuckers. It's a monster!

Edit: Also, that would leave him with 500 + left to use on other stuff.

http://cataldobasses.com/
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If he has 2K to spend, and doesn't have a damn clue about basses or what he wants then he shouldn't be spending that amount of money.

Just my 2 cents.

We live in Switzerland we aren't poor people and we put the money together to invest in a good bass. There is nothing wrong with spending 2K there are just so many types of basses we were looking for suggestion which would fit the metal and hard rock genres. But more people are talking about the 2k than basses...
Well honestly any bass can work for any genre, so it really depends on what tone you're bassist wants. You can get a nice Fender, Musicman, Spector, a nice ESP/ltd. There are a ton of options.
Quote by Ziphoblat

very good, helpful advice. particularly because of that picture.

as stated before, you'd be better off trying basses in stores. you go like:" I have 2k to spend on a new bass. show me what you've got". then you try some basses, find one that particularly stands out the rest, go back home, and search the internet to see if you can buy it used for a fraction of the price.

the good thing is that for that cash, you'll get a gig worthy bass, that will last a lifetime, and sound good. the only thing your bassist pal has to do, is to pick the one he likes the most. there's no chance of doing it wrong.

If you would like to know what brands to look after, you have Musicman, Fender, Spector, Warwick, Ibanez, Yamahas... pretty much a lot of brands. good

IMPORTANT: now that we gave the advice we thought was appropirate, you are compelled to do a new bass day thread when the bass comes.

good luck! hope we could help!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
go try them all, also how does your $ compare, cause some relatively cheap basses in America are way expensive in Argentina or Australia for instance.
Quote by askrere
go try them all, also how does your $ compare, cause some relatively cheap basses in America are way expensive in Argentina or Australia for instance.

In Switzerland everything is more expensive. My Schecter Synyster costs about 2K here but since I ordered it from the US I got it for 1,360 Swiss Francs.