Hello all, I've been having some problems with my strat, and I'm not looking to spend 100 dollars on a setup.

My problem has been with the height/action of the strings. It's very low near the nut, gets higher in the middle of the neck, then it gets very low again near the end of the neck, near the pickups. I've tried readjusting the neck about 100 times and the action is still uneven no matter what shape the neck is. There doesn't seem to be any way I can adjust the bridge. There are little screws on the bridge but when I adjust those it really doesn't have that much of an effect.

There are six big screws holding the bridge down. Six strings adjusting the little saddle things, making it go closer to the neck or farther away from it. Then, three more holding the bridge down. I've fiddled with all of these screws, but nothing has raised the bridge, which is what I need to do, I think!

I've also adjusted the screws holding in the tremolo block in the back of the guitar. Still nothing.

Btw, it's a John Mayer strat, so maybe it's different from other strats?

Please help!
Pay the money for a set up, iv seen too many people think they can do it themselves and have to pay double or triple for a new neck/ hardware after they break it. Its really not worth breaking your guitar.
You don't raise the bridge on a vintage trem. It's suppose to lay flat on the body. Action adjustments are done via the screws in each saddle and truss rod tweaks. Some people do allow a vintage trem to float a bit though. If you can't get it to float by loosening the screws in the back, you may have to remove a spring to take some tension off. It sounds like your real issue is neck curvature. You need to tighten the truss rod down to straighten the neck out. If you are having issues with this go ahead and take it to a tech. Truss rod adjustments are normally nothing to fear but if you keep adjusting to no avail you'd better get it to someone who knows what they are doing.

That being said, a proper setup should not be costing $100. Around here it's commonly $25.
Last edited by poppameth at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by Mlagz
Hello all, I've been having some problems with my strat, and I'm not looking to spend 100 dollars on a setup.

My problem has been with the height/action of the strings. It's very low near the nut, gets higher in the middle of the neck, then it gets very low again near the end of the neck, near the pickups. I've tried readjusting the neck about 100 times and the action is still uneven no matter what shape the neck is. There doesn't seem to be any way I can adjust the bridge. There are little screws on the bridge but when I adjust those it really doesn't have that much of an effect.

There are six big screws holding the bridge down. Six strings adjusting the little saddle things, making it go closer to the neck or farther away from it. Then, three more holding the bridge down. I've fiddled with all of these screws, but nothing has raised the bridge, which is what I need to do, I think!

I've also adjusted the screws holding in the tremolo block in the back of the guitar. Still nothing.

Btw, it's a John Mayer strat, so maybe it's different from other strats?

Please help!

click the green link in my sig.

look at the first post.

it shows what to do. then post back with questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011