Well - I've been wanting to get a rackmount all-in-one effects system lately, and I don't have the big bucks to shell out for an Axe-FX, so Im looking for the next best thing for around 1000$.

So far, this search has lead me to the POD Pro, and I really like the features it has, especially the recording capability. The POD Pro + controller pedal comes to around 950$, so that's right where I want it to be price range.

Has anyone here used them? Are they nice? The reviews and demos Ive seen so far are pretty nice, so I really like it.

Is there any bad things about it? Or alternative units that offer the same features and flexibility?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
They sound pretty excellent, almost as good as an Axe FX.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The HD pro's are brilliant, myself and a lot of people iv talked to about them actually prefer them to the AxeFX. Especially with the noticeable price difference!!

From what people have posted online they seem a lot more reliable than the AxeFx too and if they break under warranty, Line 6 are a lot faster to replace than Fractal.

Also the Line 6 foot switches are built like brick shit houses, you'll have to give it a good beating for it to break, iv had beer spilled on mine, iv stood on the screen, dropped it out of a van/ off stage and aside from some minor ascetic wear and tear it works as well as the day i bought it.

Even if you did have the money for an AxeFx i would still recommend the HD over it. For live and studio tones the only minor fault i could find is a few more spaces in the signal chain might have been nice but thats just for studio tones and all that can be added post production.
I'd take an eleven rack over a pod hd. The eleven also comes with pro tools
Quote by Chad11491
I'd take an eleven rack over a pod hd. The eleven also comes with pro tools

Well I mostly play metal, so modern distortion is a priority. I like the guitar tones of bands like DevilDriver, Trivium (Torn Between Scylla and Charbydis is the perfect example), and a lot of djent stuff like Periphery and what-not.

I really dig the Fireball, Uberschall and Treadplate models so its not lacking in the distortion department. Although I do wish it had a 5150 model like the X3 Pro, but the other models make up for that
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I've been contemplating getting one of these myself (also debating the Eleven Rack). Does anyone have any experience using these live direct to PA? I'd like to get rid of my amp and other equipment soon because I'll be moving around a lot over the next year, so I'd like something extremely mobile that can also be used live without an amp.

Yeah, it has unbalanced and balanced XLR outs for a PA/Mixer
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I'm using a UX1 and Pod Farm. How much of an upgrade is this? I'm tempted to buy a HD pro.
The HD500 is pretty much the same thing except all in a floorboard. The can be found new for under 500.
Last edited by gtrman2620 at Feb 24, 2012,
I have an HD500 that I play direct into my PA. It sounds pretty damn good. You have to tweak your presets differently than if you were playing it through an amp+cab, but once you get it set, it sounds pretty bad ass. The differences between the HD pro and the HD500 are minimal. I think the pro has a couple more I/O options, but the 500 still has the balanced outputs. I run an XLR from the pod straight to the PA. Doesn't get much easier. Unless you have 2 empty rack slots that simply MUST get filled, I'd go with the HD500 TBH. It'll do everything the pro does, and it has the footswitches built in. I wanted the pro as well, but when I compared features there was no reason. Did I mention that the 500 will cost you almost $500 less than the pro+foot controller?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Well I ultimately decided with the Pod Pro. I should have it Tuesday

Also - the main reason I chose the Pro over the HD500 was for the better mic interface and phantom power, and the extra IO was very useful.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Lovecannon
Well I ultimately decided with the Pod Pro. I should have it Tuesday

Also - the main reason I chose the Pro over the HD500 was for the better mic interface and phantom power, and the extra IO was very useful.

Ahh ok, yeah if you need phantom power that's the way to go. I have a recording interface with phantom, so it didn't make sense for me to drop the extra cash.

I think you'll dig it though, you can get some really nice sounds out of it. I really like the fireball model for high gain. IMO it's the easiest model to get a great sound from.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Ahh ok, yeah if you need phantom power that's the way to go. I have a recording interface with phantom, so it didn't make sense for me to drop the extra cash.

I think you'll dig it though, you can get some really nice sounds out of it. I really like the fireball model for high gain. IMO it's the easiest model to get a great sound from.

Yeah I like the Fireball and Treadplate models the most from the reviews Ive seen. It has all the models my M9 system has too, so I know itll be good for cleans too
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by mr7string
The HD pro's are brilliant, myself and a lot of people iv talked to about them actually prefer them to the AxeFX. Especially with the noticeable price difference!!

From what people have posted online they seem a lot more reliable than the AxeFx too and if they break under warranty, Line 6 are a lot faster to replace than Fractal.

Also the Line 6 foot switches are built like brick shit houses, you'll have to give it a good beating for it to break, iv had beer spilled on mine, iv stood on the screen, dropped it out of a van/ off stage and aside from some minor ascetic wear and tear it works as well as the day i bought it.

Even if you did have the money for an AxeFx i would still recommend the HD over it. For live and studio tones the only minor fault i could find is a few more spaces in the signal chain might have been nice but thats just for studio tones and all that can be added post production.

LOLWTF

ok fine you are entitled to your own opinion on the POD HD vs axe fx. But reliability? Ive only read about 2 maybe 3 units that needed to be sent back to fractal and even then by weeks end they were up and running again.

Also for the price IMO the HD Pro is overpriced when the Avid eleven rack is only a couple hundred more which is generally regarded as a better unit AND comes with a fill version of protools
Moar advanced algothrims over the Spiders, better specs. The capabilities of the HD and Spiders are like night and day.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
So people actually like the POD okay...I really question anything with Line 6 and digital stuff. You mean night and day in a good way right?
Quote by Seanthesheep
LOLWTF

ok fine you are entitled to your own opinion on the POD HD vs axe fx. But reliability? Ive only read about 2 maybe 3 units that needed to be sent back to fractal and even then by weeks end they were up and running again.

Also for the price IMO the HD Pro is overpriced when the Avid eleven rack is only a couple hundred more which is generally regarded as a better unit AND comes with a fill version of protools

Go check SS.org, i'v seen atleast ten threads about the AXE2 breaking down in some way since its release, its not a regular thing but it happens more than you'd think.

And the Eleven Rack is good but how you can say the HD is over priced and then justify paying a couple hundred more for the Eleven Rack that is maybe better on some fronts marginally?!
Quote by N1K156
You mean night and day in a good way right?

Yes
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by N1K156
So people actually like the POD okay...I really question anything with Line 6 and digital stuff. You mean night and day in a good way right?

You really can't compare a $200 practice amp with a $700 rack preamp. The spiders are marketed towards beginners who don't know jack about effects. The HD series of pods are their big brothers. MUCH better sound. I've owned a spider III, an older pocket pod bean, and now I have an HD500. For what I paid for the HD500, it's well worth the money. It doesn't sound EXACTLY like the real amps, but I didn't buy it because it sounded exactly like a recto/fireball/JCM, etc. It just sounds good.

The HD series blows the older pods and the spiders away. The amount of different sounds you can get from it are amazing for the price.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes