what's the difference between the Wide Range humbucker and Alnico V humbucker? Is one clearly better than the other? Which tones can you get out of one that you can't get out of the other?
    which wide range and alnico V are you talking about?

I haven't tried them, but the older wide ranges (i.e. the original ones fitted to 70s teles) had CuNiFe polepieces, whereas a more regular humbucker would have an alnico or ceramic bar magnet with steel polepieces.

supposedly the wide ranges sound a bit clearer and more like a single coil (not saying they sound like a single, they're still humbuckers, just "more like" one), but as i said, i haven't tried an original. allegedly the reissues on current fender guitars are just regular humbuckers with wide range-style covers.

if you're talking about teh epiphone alnico V pickups, they're fairly mediocre lowish output humbuckers, prone to muddiness.
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    Quote by Dave_Mc
    which wide range and alnico V are you talking about?

I haven't tried them, but the older wide ranges (i.e. the original ones fitted to 70s teles) had CuNiFe polepieces, whereas a more regular humbucker would have an alnico or ceramic bar magnet with steel polepieces.

supposedly the wide ranges sound a bit clearer and more like a single coil (not saying they sound like a single, they're still humbuckers, just "more like" one), but as i said, i haven't tried an original. allegedly the reissues on current fender guitars are just regular humbuckers with wide range-style covers.

if you're talking about teh epiphone alnico V pickups, they're fairly mediocre lowish output humbuckers, prone to muddiness.

I'm referring to the Fender alnico V and Wide Range humbuckers. But thanks for your info anyways.
    you mean teh current model ones?

as i said, i think the current fender wide range pickups are just bog standard humbuckers under a wide range cover

which alnico 5 pickups are you referring to?
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/scatterwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/wide-range-thinline-humbucker-replacements.html

You can see towards the bottom of the page what the difference is between the current Fender Wide Range pickups and a proper Wide Range-style pickup is.

Basically, the current Fender 'wide range' pickups are normal alnico 2 humbuckers wound to around 10k for both neck and bridge. The extra space under the cover is filled in with a lot of wax.
    A classic Wide Range humbucker (or a good remake of one) uses seperate magnetic pole pieces (threaded, although it's debatable whether using threaded poles effects the tone compared to standard slug poles), which gives it a tone much closer to a typical single coil. In fact what a ''real'' Wide Range humbucker was originally was basically two normal single coil pickups put next to each other and wired together like a humbucker. It also uses larger bobbins which fill in more of the space under the cover by themselves.

Also, the current Wide Range pickups are even further from the original tone as they are paired with 250k controls. Most people use 500k controls with any humbucker to stop them from getting muddy; many people report that using the new Wide Range pickups with 1meg controls gives them much more of the original Wide Range tone.

As for these mystery 'alnico 5 humbuckers' you're inquiring about, you'll have to give us more info before anyone can give you a reliable answer. Fender makes and has made a lot of humbuckers with alnico 5 magnets. Even most of the pickups they use from other brands get alnico 5 magnets put into them (for example the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus found on the Fender Lonestar Stratocaster, which has an alnico 5 magnet put in it, unlike the alnico 2 magnet that is in the normal Pearly Gates that Seymour Duncan make).

But as a general rule, most Fender stock humbuckers are not that good. Some of their stock single coils can be nice, but Fender have never been experts when it comes to humbuckers.
    Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
    A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.