what are your thoughts on grades for guitar?

personally, i think they're a decent way to show you have the skills, and that it takes a lot of work to accomplish them.

on another note, what have your experiences been with ABRSM guitar grading exams? not performance, but like the full thing, with theory knowledge needed?

and, finally, what are the various things they examine you on, and examples for that level?
lol wats a guitar grade lol
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Music grades are stupid as hell. Who the hell came up with this horseshit?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by JimmyBanks6
lol wats a guitar grade lol

I second this, just without all the "lol"s.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Xiaoxi

This. You shouldn't be marked on your playing skills
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Why is metalcore so bad in school?
BECAUSE ALL THEY GET IS DROP DS LOLOLOL

Poor Fredrik Thordendal...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
http://www.rockschool.co.uk/
http://www.rgt.org/exams/
http://www.abrsm.org/en/home

When I was in school I did rock, blues and jazz tunes from the Rockschool syllabus (grades 5 - 8) as my practical examinations in guitar and bass. I learned a lot and found it useful.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777
Poor Fredrik Thordendal...

Straight Fs, that must suck.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Xiaoxi
- -
ggg1 ggg3

why the hate?

at the most its like a university degree - a bit of paper, but paper that can open many doors i am yet to discover or specify.
Quote by Spaztikko
why the hate?

at the most its like a university degree - a bit of paper, but paper that can open many doors i am yet to discover or specify.

if you say so

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Spaztikko

It could open the door to a UK University - passing the higher grades (6-8) awards you with UCAS points.
Quote by Spaztikko
why the hate?

Except a good degree takes a considerable measure of effort to achieve.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

Yup.

To me grading music is what kills the enjoyment and experience of music. It makes music a technical task as opposed to an expression of creativity. I was playing bass guitar in school and after a year I said fuck it, I don't want to kill the fun I get when I play bass (inb4 bass is already a killjoy), so I picked up saxophone instead. This was just for high school, never mind side classes or specific music/art colleges/universities.
Quote by Todd Hart

Its not equivalent to a degree at all, but is comparable to a good school qualification, and could help you gain access to a degree course.

http://www.courses.napier.ac.uk/courses.aspx?ID=%2fMusic_U54110.htm
Look at the entry requirements.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Yup.

To me grading music is what kills the enjoyment and experience of music. It makes music a technical task as opposed to an expression of creativity. I was playing bass guitar in school and after a year I said fuck it, I don't want to kill the fun I get when I play bass (inb4 bass is already a killjoy), so I picked up saxophone instead. This was just for high school, never mind side classes or specific music/art colleges/universities.

I think you quit bass because you're not Black or a cross dressing Asian
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I think you quit bass because you're not Black or a cross dressing Asian

I didn't quit bass. I still play it . I just stopped playing it for music class because it became a tedious annoying task instead of stress relief or fun.

And I was born in South Africa and lived in Zimbabwe as a kid. Does that count?
Last year in my 8th grade Algebra II (the class was 2 years ahead of every other 8th grader) I got two B's.

Little did I know that this meant I would start out with a 3.0 GPA in high school, unlike all the dumb kids in my grade, who would start out with 4.0 GPAs.

Thanks for telling me, stupid math teacher.
Originally Posted by Cheeselord
Sanitarium iz by SLAYER DUMBASS!!!!!

SLAYER FAN4LIFE!
Quote by Hydra150
Its not equivalent to a degree at all, but is comparable to a good school qualification, and could help you gain access to a degree course.

http://www.courses.napier.ac.uk/courses.aspx?ID=%2fMusic_U54110.htm
Look at the entry requirements.

Most universities reject points from musical grading unless it is relevant to the course. I had a friend who tried to use his grade 8 in percussion to boost his points to do chemistry and he was rejected because the points weren't acknowledged (and rightfully so).
Some people will find that becoming more proficient on their instrument is very fulfilling, and some of those will find that working through a grading system is a good structured way to stay focused and keep developing.
Quote by fradd
Last year in my 8th grade Algebra II (the class was 2 years ahead of every other 8th grader) I got two B's.

Little did I know that this meant I would start out with a 3.0 GPA in high school, unlike all the dumb kids in my grade, who would start out with 4.0 GPAs.

Thanks for telling me, stupid math teacher.

^that sums up that comment well

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
oh, i get it! the thread title is a parody of the "Let's Talk About GAYS" thread!

hohohohohohohohohoho!
^^^

Quote by Todd Hart
Most universities reject points from musical grading unless it is relevant to the course. I had a friend who tried to use his grade 8 in percussion to boost his points to do chemistry and he was rejected because the points weren't acknowledged (and rightfully so).

I can see why they would ignore those points but I'm not sure if its right - the UCAS points aren't a way of seeing how good you are at a specific subject (the grade for the specific class should do that), they are a way to gauge how good at and dedicated to learning you are in general. Ignoring other acheivments, which took considerable effort (and uni's always ask about extra curricular interests), seems unfair. Besides, some other Uni's would take those achievements into consideration which would just confuse things.

Unlike the decent grades I got in some other subjects, getting a 'merit' in Grade 8 guitar would take years of dedicated instrument practice, a decent knowledge of theory (not to mention the requirement of Grade 5 theory before you sit a practical exam above Grade 6) and the ability to perform well in front of an examiner - all of which is more effort than I put into any of my highers and I managed to get decent results in (some of) those.
yeah, i figure, since im doing all this business and science stuff atm, that the music points will just help accumulate even more if i **** up.
and then theres the realisation that new zealand universities (specifically auckland) require a music audition. I'd rather blow them to piecies with my grade 6/7/8 whatever than some metalcore.

its all about career paths for me, and the simple fact is that if i wanted a decent teaching job, it requires a grade or advanced degree.
Quote by Hydra150
I can see why they would ignore those points but I'm not sure if its right - the UCAS points aren't a way of seeing how good you are at a specific subject (the grade for the specific class should do that), they are a way to gauge how good at and dedicated to learning you are in general. Ignoring other acheivments, which took considerable effort (and uni's always ask about extra curricular interests), seems unfair. Besides, some other Uni's would take those achievements into consideration which would just confuse things.

Unlike the decent grades I got in some other subjects, getting a 'merit' in Grade 8 guitar would take years of dedicated instrument practice, a decent knowledge of theory (not to mention the requirement of Grade 5 theory before you sit a practical exam above Grade 6) and the ability to perform well in front of an examiner - all of which is more effort than I put into any of my highers and I managed to get decent results in (some of) those.

Being able to drum doesn't give the university any reason to believe that you can achieve in chemistry, especially if your chemistry grade isn't up to their standard anyway.

Music doesn't matter (to a university), and the ability to comprehend musical theory and play music doesn't really prove anything other than a dedicated interest in the hobby.
Quote by Todd Hart

Music doesn't matter (to a university), and the ability to comprehend musical theory and play music doesn't really prove anything other than a dedicated interest in the hobby.

If your Chemistry grade us shit then fair enough, but if UCAS (or Uni's) don't have faith in these grades as qualifications which display intellegence and an ablility to study then they should stop pretending that they do by attaching points to them - if the only ones interested are people interviewing potential Music students then the points serve no purpose.
I suspect that some Uni's do look at the UCAS points you've accumulated more generally, in which case the Grades are useful for something other than a Music course, but the fact that some do and some dont is unfair.
Quote by Hydra150
If your Chemistry grade us shit then fair enough, but if UCAS (or Uni's) don't have faith in these grades as qualifications which display intellegence and an ablility to study then they should stop pretending that they do by attaching points to them - if the only ones interested are people interviewing potential Music students then the points serve no purpose.
I suspect that some Uni's do look at the UCAS points you've accumulated more generally, in which case the Grades are useful for something other than a Music course, but the fact that some do and some dont is unfair.

They already do, a lot of universities reject the UCAS points system are rely on straight grade offers instead. The UCAS system has always been flawed because it ignores differences between courses. A media or photography A-level is objectively easier than an equal A-level in physics or chemistry or maths, and yet they provide the same UCAS points. It's illogical. Universities should stick to using standard grading and interviews/personal statements/portfolios (if applicable) when choosing students.
Quote by Todd Hart
Universities should stick to using standard grading and interviews/personal statements/portfolios (if applicable) when choosing students.

That, and exam boards/schools should change the exams/subjects so that one GCSE/Standard Grade or whatever is roughly equivalent to any other. I believe I saw a thing on the news this morning about how exams in England have gotten too easy and they were going to make em harder (although that story is on the news every year).

I still think that, for some people, Music Grades are a good way of structuring and focusing ones personal development on an instrument - most of the hate the idea gets on this site is down to people not having a clue what they're talking about.
Quote by Hydra150
That, and exam boards/schools should change the subjects so that one GCSE/Standard Grade or whatever is worth the same as another. I believe I saw a thing on the news this morning about how exams in England have gotten too easy and they were going to make em harder (although that story is on the news every year).

I still think that, for some people, Music Grades are a good way of structuring and focusing ones personal development on an instrument - most of the hate the idea gets on this site is down to people not having a clue what they're talking about.

I hate all the 'exams are getting easier' stuff. It's mostly rubbish. Every year the IQ of this country increases, and people get higher grades due to advances in teaching methods and research technology, and yet instead of going 'well done! you did well!' we say 'yeah, the exams were easier'.

I mean, obviously if everyone gets A's that's useless, as exams are for distinguishing between people, but I think openly telling people that they only did well because the exam was easier doesn't help anyone. The issue is that the education system is limited to the grading system and education is seen as being purely academic.

And I agree on your second point. Musical grading can be a brilliant method of inspiring people to practice, but I don't think it is a very adequate measurement of skill.
Quote by Todd Hart
I hate all the 'exams are getting easier' stuff. It's mostly rubbish. Every year the IQ of this country increases, and people get higher grades due to advances in teaching methods and research technology, and yet instead of going 'well done! you did well!' we say 'yeah, the exams were easier'.

Haha, Ive argued the same point to people before.

It is only mostly rubbish though, when I was doing my Standard Grades and Highers (2-3 years ago) and was revising with the past papers it was clear that exams from years ago were often harder, particularly with certain subjects. My Latin and Classics teacher noted that there was a lot of 'tweaking' going on with his subjects throughout the previous decade and the past papers showed that it is now a dramatically easier subject (which means I have no good reason for ****ing up the exams so badly).