Again, I apologize for being "one of those posters" and adding to the countless threads asking what key this is in. But I'm in a bit of a rush tonight and my theory knowledge is not good enough to give me the answer quickly.

The chord progression is as follows:

G major - F major - A# major - D major

Actually it may be Dmaj first and Gmaj last.. sorry, I can't remember exactly at the moment.

Thanks for any input!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If G first, probably G. If D first, possibly still G, but maybe D. Depends on where the melody goes really.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Woo Hoo

I'd say G major. If you were only playing powerchords the Bb could suggest G minor (depending on the melody), but if the G is definitely major then I'd call it G major, with the Bb and F notes as accidentals.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by Hydra150
Woo Hoo

I'd say G major. If you were only playing powerchords the Bb could suggest G minor (depending on the melody), but if the G is definitely major then I'd call it G major, with the Bb and F notes as accidentals.

Interesting!

Yeah, my gut reaction at first is G, but the presence of a Bb really threw me off. Like I said, I'm still largely a newb to music theory.

Thanks for the help fellows, I appreciate it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Do you even like this chord progression? Seems like the kind of thing somebody would throw together if they didn't really have an understanding of basic harmony and only knew how to play major chords, no offense.
Quote by chronowarp
Do you even like this chord progression? Seems like the kind of thing somebody would throw together if they didn't really have an understanding of basic harmony and only knew how to play major chords, no offense.

Ahem
Quote by chronowarp

Really?

I bIII BVII V ...

Two chords borrowed from the parallel minor. Maybe not my favorite progression, but to say that it could only be written by someone who doesn't have an understanding of basic harmony suggests that you're the one who only doesn't know a whole lot of theory.
I can understand mode mixture if it made a bit more sense...but this isn't really a. logical, b. aurally pleasing and so I tend to hear it as "lump rando major chords together". Although I could be wrong, I'd need to actually hear how he's played it. The accent of the changes and the length of each chord could make a dramatic difference, but when I pick up a guitar and give it a whirl ... ya.

Me not knowing theory though? lol.

I have a degree in music...I could do a harmonic/NCT analysis of a bach chorale in like 5 minutes. I think I have an inkling of an understanding of "basic" harmony.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 25, 2012,
Well, two of the chords are borrowed from parallel major scales. Which two is a good question. And the stock answer is actually a question, "where does the melody resolve to"? Which chord do you think is the tonic, the go to, wrap it up, chord?

If the key was F major, the "D" would be minor, as would be the "G". Just to post something to "provoke debate", I'm going to say F major anyway.
Quote by Captaincranky
Just to post something to "provoke debate", I'm going to say F major anyway.

I respectfully disagree
Quote by Hydra150
I respectfully disagree
Not a problem. The reasoning there being, somebody's got to disagree with that, who better than you? For a fleeting moment I considered declaring it "modal"....... As if that would cause a problem.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 25, 2012,