Maybe i was taught wrong. But i was taught that there is a major, minor, major pent, minor pent, and blues pentatonic finger pattern that can be played anywhere on the fretboard. So say i learned a diminished scale pattern? Would i be able to use it anywhere on the fretboard?
yep, all are the same... example:

C maj ---------------------------------------- G maj
|---------------------------------8-10--| - |------------------------------------3--5----|
|--------------------------8-10---------| - |------------------------------3--5----------|
|--------------------7-9-----------------| - |-----------------------2--4----------------|
|-------------7--10---------------------| - |-----------------2--5-----------------------|
|-------7-10----------------------------| - |---------2--5-----------------------------|
|-8-10---------------------------------| - |---3--5------------------------------------|

only change the key and frets but the position and fingering still the same

(english ain't my first language)
Essentially, a scale is a collection of intervals beginning on a certain note. A major scale, for example, is a series of notes that follow the following pattern:
R - W - W - H - W - W - W - H
in which W is a whole step, H is a half-step, and R is the root note.

Thus, it follows that if you learn the C major scale, if you just move everything down a half-step and follow the same shape, you're playing B major.

In short, yes, you're right as long as you realize that you aren't necessarily playing the C major scale but rather the major scale relative to any given root note (be it C, Db, A# or whatever else you can think of).
Im not really talking about major scales though. Im talking about like the diminished ones and such
The diminished goes:

W-H-W-H-W-H-W-H or H-W-H-W-H-W-H-W

A really easy way to look at it is to think of it as a scale comprised of m3 intervals.
If you write them out it means that 4 diminished scales would have the same notes.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 26, 2012,